1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Caldwell vs Morehead City: Championship Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

good call

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The attacking of the Caldwell/South Caldwell team has worn thin. Most of this stuff that I read or hear is hearsay. Unless you were on the field playing against them, you don't know anything except what someone may have told you. To bring the Lord's name into this and to insinuate that he was punishing them is ludicrous, blasphemous, and downright mean.

Since most people outside of Caldwell County do not know these kids, I want to share a few things.

Madison Bumgarner- Andy Partin at Impact sent him a questionnaire to fill out when he was 14. It asked him what his long term/short term goals were. Some of it pertained strictly to baseball, but some were personal goals. Now kids that age would normally say, "I want to play in the World Series" or "I want to play Major League baseball"..not Madison. He said his short term/long term goal was to be able to "witness young people to Christ". This from a 14 year old.

Players- I have received many emails from their players and many of them have ended with "God be with you" or other reference to the Lord.

TBR Baseball is a lot of things, but it is not a forum about religion. I brought this up to simply rebut the post about the Caldwell players...are they perfect? Of course not...but show me a team that is.

I believe the negative remarks are more directed to their supporters, who are proud people; some are loud and yes...some have a chip on their shoulder. But they love their team and love their county.

I'll tell you why I admire these young men so much. Many, certainly not all, of the players in Charlotte have the privilege to play for any team they so desire (talent being equal). They can afford to buy the "hottest" new bat, the 'hottest" new glove, the 'hottest" new shoes. Play for teams that charge $3,000 to play for them. The parents can afford to travel to any venue the team plays in. For some of the players it is only a "social" club. A place to hangout with their friends for the summer and fall.

Caldwell County is a depressed market. Many of their jobs have left for Mexico and China. The players understand sacrificing and learn at a young age what is important and what is not. They learn about helping each other out. They realize they have only each other for support. They realize they don't have the same opportunites that some other teams have. What they have is something that Cherryville has...that Kannapolis have. They have their community...that's it. It's the one group of people that love them no matter what...just like any family would do.

Those people are proud of their community. They love the people that live there. They love the fact that many of them are survivors. They love the kids that compete for them and they will proudly boast their enthusiasm because these kids represent them. Yes, some may live vicariously through their success....but heck...what those proud people have to go through to survive each day to keep their lights on, to put food on their table, to scrape some money together to be able to travel to High Point to watch their boys compete...well...they have my admiration and respect.

Now, I know that not all of the people in Caldwell are in this position, but many of them are and many of them have kids that play on this team.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  3. honker58

honker58 Banned From TBR

Well said Braves. Unfortunately many children these days have everything given to them. If things do not go the way a parent wants it to, they take them somewhere else.

What is missing in Charlotte is the foundation that is built from a lifetime of family going to the same school.

We shold all count our blessings everyday, but for the Grace of God, it could be us.

4. Braves

Amen

5. Braves

You know, I thought maybe you were being a jerk just to SC, but you are a jerk to everybody. You are not welcomed here...find some place else to post

6. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Quickies:
    ...Atta boy Braves. Kaboom is what he deserved.

...I don't condone some of Caldwell's fan decorum, but I am jealous of their enthusiasm. Heart & community pride gush from their stands. Tradition is built on such values.

...Frankly I've never observed a single team that fully represented Jesus. So my suspicion is that pre-game prayers are a waste of time. Prayer is not a good luck charm. And prayers for victory are misspent. Just my opinion.

7. TMJ

TMJ Full Access Member

Not judging anybody or slammin anybody or any team...Just one thing, every team no matter where they come from, Charlotte, SC, Eastern NC or wherever, have to have some accountability for their actions sooner or later or in life in general....Its been a good spring and summer for baseball...I wish for all the kids to do well and have fun regardless of anything else.

8. BullpenBilly

BullpenBilly Junior Member

Sounds like to me you were just a little judgmental to Bottom9. I have witnessed firsthand what he was describing so it is what it is. Let's just agree to disagree and move on. Great season for all teams represented and ain't none of us perfect!

9. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

Best of luck to him there.

10. bball1

bball1 Banned From TBR

I would bet a dollar to a donut that S Caldwell and Caldwell Post 29 will both be playing for championships again next year. This obviously was not their year. Those guys(players) are SUPER athletes. I am just as impressed with Messer as I am Bumgardner! However....Because I have witnessed the workings and name calling and cursing of the Caldwell fans...NOT the Players!! I am glad that MC won. The parents and friends needed an adjustment IMHO. I would not want to face those guys next year!