1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller traded

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Hatfield made rain, Dec 4, 2007.

1. matos23

matos23 Full Access Member

I am a national league guy but if i root for anyone in the American League it's the Tiger's because of a few ties. Now i would never compare Andrew Miller to John Smoltz, not at this stage in his career at least. But when i heard about this trade, it was the first think that came to my mind. How the Tigers gave up their young prospects so long ago....... and seeing as the Marlins are in same division as my braves, it kind of worries me a bit. I sure hope the Tigers got the better end of the stick this time, but only time will tell.

2. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

Catch a Tiger by the tail

Because of the "pit" they were in..... IT IS the right time to make this trade. The Tigers need to play for the here and now and they have the right complete mix of players after this trade to do just that. Win NOW is the name of the game for them to keep the Dombrowski, Leyland, New Stadium, Great Acquisitions excitement going in Motown. Less than 4 months to opening day!

3. rjr4dad

rjr4dad Full Access Member

Since the Marlins sell off their top players every couple of years, don't be surprised if Maybin and Miller end up in Detroit in 2012 or so.

4. mincmi

mincmi Moderator

Having an opportunity to work for AAA baseball, I can tell you that the Tiger’s farm system is loaded with prospects, especially arms.

Over the last five years or so, they have taken advantage of a situation that has allowed them to draft highly rated players, i.e. Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and many others, which have been bypassed by other clubs because of the agents that are representing these players and signability factors. You can expect that trend to continue. Look at the A-Rod situation this year. To make the deal the agent had to go away.

matos23
    Now I would never compare Andrew Miller to John Smoltz, not at this stage in his career at least. But when I heard about this trade, it was the first think that came to my mind. How the Tigers gave up their young prospects so long ago....... and seeing as the Marlins are in same division as my Braves, it kind of worries me a bit. I sure hope the Tigers got the better end of the stick this time, but only time will tell.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Sure the Tigers traded away a top line prospect in 1987, but there was no way to project that he would become a future hall of fame candidate. How many times have teams traded prospects for proven talent and the prospects did not pan out? I would say that happens far more frequently than what occurred in the Smoltz trade. By the way, the Tigers received Doyle Alexander in that trade who went 9-0 in 11 starts throwing 88.3 innings (over 8 per start) with a 1.53 ERA. This for a team that had almost zero bullpen (the leader had 9 saves). They won the East on the last day of the season coming from four down with seven to play, sweeping the East leading Blue Jays 4-3, 3-2 & 1-0 in the final weekend with Frank Tanana pitching the shutout.

As a Tiger’s fan was the trade worth it? I still can vividly remember that weekend. That would not be the case without the trade. So I say it was definitely worth it, especially during an era in baseball when teams did not go to the play-offs for decades at a time.

Profession sport is about now. People lose jobs waiting for prospects.

P.S. Matos – I hope that was a study break you were on at 1:20 AM that allow you to post to TBR.

5. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Someone help me. Where did Cameron Maybin come from? HS? College? Thanks

6. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

NC boy makes good

Cameron Maybin

Florida Marlins — No. --
    Outfielder
    Born: April 4, 1987 (1987-04-04) (age 20)
    Bats: Right Throws: Right
    Major League Baseball debut
    August 17, 2007 for the Detroit Tigers
    Selected MLB statistics
    (through 2007)
    Batting Average .143
    Home Runs 1
    RBI 2
    Teams
    Detroit Tigers (2007)
    Florida Marlins (2008-present)

Cameron Maybin (born April 4, 1987 in Arden, North Carolina) is a Major League Baseball player on the Florida Marlins. He was the tenth pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft and in 2006 played center field, for the Class A West Michigan Whitecaps. He has been consistently ranked as the Tigers' top minor league prospect.[1] [2] [3] On December 4, 2007 he was traded from the Tigers to the Florida Marlins as the center piece for All-Star Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis.

[edit] High school
    Maybin played high school baseball for T.C. Roberson High School in Arden, North Carolina. As a freshman, he led his team to a state title and was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.[4] The summer before his senior season, Maybin won the Connie Mack World Series batting title and World Series MVP award in Farmington, N.M. Joe Hayden, his manager with the Midland (Ohio) Redskins, said he had "the same instincts in the outfield and at the plate" as Ken Griffey Jr., who Hayden also coached in the Connie Mack division, an amateur baseball league for players 18 and younger.[4] Maybin was also named the 2004 Baseball America Youth Player of the Year.

He is the cousin of Minnesota Timberwolves guard Rashad McCants and third cousin of Canadian Football League running back John Avery.[5]

[edit] Minor leagues
    After graduating from high school, Cameron Maybin entered the Major League draft. In their pre-draft rankings, Baseball America tabbed him as the most promising available outfielder and the third-best hitting prospect overall.[6] He fell to the tenth spot in the 2005 draft, in part due to speculation he'd be difficult to sign.[7] He held out for four months, and at one point negotiations were going so poorly that Tigers owner Mike Ilitch withdrew his contract offer. After missing the minor league season, he signed in September for a $2.65 million bonus.[8]

In 2006, Maybin played his first professional season for the Class-A West Michigan Whitecaps, helping them win the Midwest League championship. He had a batting average of .304, hit nine home runs and stole twenty-seven bases. He was chosen to participate in the All-Star Futures Game.[9] In late November of 2006 Cameron was given the Class A Playoff Performer Award by MiLB.com.[10] He began the 2007 season with the Lakeland Flying Tigers of the High-A Florida State League.[11] On August 9, 2007 Maybin was promoted from The Single A Lakeland Flying Tigers to the Erie Seawolves (double A).

[edit] Major Leagues
    Cameron Maybin was called up to the Tigers on August 17, 2007. He made his major league debut that day, wearing #4, at Yankee Stadium, played left field and batted second. In his first major league game he went 0-4 with two strikeouts, having first faced Andy Pettitte. The following game Maybin picked up his first career hit (a single) and first career home run both off of Roger Clemens. On his next plate appearance he was hit by a Clemens fastball.

On December 4, 2007, the Tigers traded Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio de la Cruz and Burke Badenhop to the Florida Marlins for Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera.[12]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Wow!. Thanks Stretch. I figured he must have had ties to the area. Some prettty good genes in his family.

8. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

The trade

makes perfect sense for both teams. First the Tigers get two proven stars one a lhp that can come right in and be productive in the rotation. The other a bigtime bat that will have protection in an already powerfull line up. Look at his numbers in Florida with no protection around him. He could have a monster year in that line up. In fact I expect him to. The Tigers have a ton of great young talent in their farm system. The bottom line is winning and if the Tigers are going to have any chance in their division muchless the AL they have got to upgrade and they did.

The Marlins got exactly what they wanted. A lhp to replace Willis with that is not going to break the bank with his salary. A rh hitter in Maybin that can potentially replace the rh bat they traded. And he will not break the bank either. The Marlins got two young studs that will not kill their payroll and traded two proven studs that require alot of playroll to keep. When or if Miller and Maybin reach the status that the two guys they traded have already reached the Marlins will ship them off to the highest bidder with the best trade situation.

The lower money teams have always operated this way. When the young stars reach superstar status the payroll is going to take a hit. If you are not willing to pay them you have to trade them. But this trade works out great for all parties. Tigers are better right now. Maybin and Miller get an opportunity to prove they deserve a bigger payday. If they do they will be somewhere else in a few of years.

9. mm77

mm77 Junior Member

yankees

Braves said: What is startling is why the yankees didn't pursue this trade. Why would they? They already have a pretty good third baseman. Cabrera is a great young player but where would he play? Willis was a pretty good pitcher for a couple of years but his era has increased dramatically over the last three years. It was over 5.50 this year in the NL. He'll be lucky to keep it under 7 in the AL. Who would the Yankees trade? Joba. Hughes, or Kennedy? I beleive all three will be better than Willis this year. In fact, I bet Miller will have a much better year than Willis. I think it is a good trade for both the Marlins and Detroit but not the Yankees.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Since when did the Yankee deals have to make sense? That is rarely in the equation when they make deals. What you may not know is that Cabrera was an all star outfielder, as well. He can play any position that is needed, including 1st base. By the way, in the near future that is where A-Rod is headed.

I'm not sure why some people are down on Willis. The kid had some problems last year, but his upside has been proven. He went through a stretch where his FB was 84-85 last year. Tough to get many ML outs with that stuff. But by the stretch of the season he was back to his 91-92. Willis is young, experienced and won't be the #1 starter; and he's pitching for a better team. Some GM's and scouts are predicting he will have his best year ever next season.

Miller to have a better season than Willis this season? What are you basing that on? wins/loss? If that is the case...pass me the kool aid because Miller will struggle in getting wins. Do I think long term that Miller will become better than Willis? I believe he has the potential, but let's see him prove himself over the course of some full seasons.