1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Carolina Cardinals Classic Raleigh

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Sam and E's, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

the post above is call "a discussion" we like those, we push for those, its what this forum is all about people.

more discussion, less bs.......:chair:

2. ChiliDAWG

ChiliDAWG Full Access Member

Ditto

Well said. True, very true.

3. Tatertot

Tatertot Full Access Member

George Brett once said "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." PLAY TO WIN OR DON'T PLAY AT ALL.

4. erhs

erhs Banned From TBR

:N1Lol16:

5. PookiesMom

PookiesMom Member

I have never heard that ... it made my day.

6. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Running a tournament of this magnitude is quite a chore and a thankless one at that especially when people hide behind switching to screen names when you want to be a smartass. I suggest folks check your "30" posts to see what I mean

I have no issue with any organization that puts the blood sweat and tears into providing this quality a tourn for all to play in putting all of their teams wherever they want even without Bens explanation. If you have an issue quit hiding and deal with the org directly but that might interrupt your lol.

7. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

showcase vs. tournament

A true showcase is just that, a place for each and every player to showcase their abilities to college coaches. Tournaments are where teams and TB coaches go for the trophy. Either event is fine and serves a purpose.

The problems arise when a team, or more accurately, a coach and/or parents put winning ahead of all else in a showcase. Just recently someone here was talking about a coach dragging his butt as time was about to expire with his team ahead by a run or two. It worked and HE got the win. In the grand scheme of things that win will never be important. On the otherhand, what if he had hustled his team onto the field and, horrors upon horrors, the other team scores enough runs and wins the game. Again, in the grand scheme of things THAT win will never be that important. Maybe though, a young lady gets a key hit or makes a great defensive play that impresses a college coach enough that he, or she, at that moment decides that "I need that player in my program". A scholarship is offered and accepted, and a kids life is changed. Now that WILL be remembered for a very long time!

In the past three years of watching so called "showcase softball", I have seen the "butt dragging" at the end of games. I've seen coaches argue with umps using up valuable playing time. I've even seen teams intentionally walk opposing batters... please, someone tell me how that's going to help a pitcher get to the next level. I've seen pitchers pulled from games after giving up a couple of runs in the first inning because someone didn't want to lose a showcase game. My DD, who ain't one of those little speedsters, was given the bunt sign, on more than one occasion with a former team, with college coaches watching the game. If she is lucky enough to get the chance to play in college, it won't be because she can bunt! My son played showcase baseball with one of, if not the top, organizations here in NC... they didn't even have a bunt sign. Those guys know how to "showcase" their players.

8. WndMillR

WndMillR Full Access Member

thank you

for everyone that wants the name coach attached to their name..
    see above

9. coach44

coach44 Full Access Member

Agree 100% also no take sign needed and if you can run a little steal when you get on. Show the coaches that you have some speed, that you are aggressive and don't mind getting dirty!

10. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....I'm all for "showcasing" our kids talents. But as for stealing bases, I'm cool with it IF you can really run, otherwise you get out and take a potential atbat from another kid by you being thrown out.

now one thing for sure rocks, if a kid is on base and has paid enough attention to how a pitcher changes speeds, ie change ups, or when the pitcher is looking to get a drop ball to have the batter bite on, and she uses that info to steal a base, then thats something that a college coach would like. Pure speed is one thing, smarts is another.

Also, about bunting, ALL kids need to be able to bunt and do it when they are called upon.

Last, coaches want COACHABLE kids....don't forget how important that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck! The recruiting years are soooooooocool! Enjoy them while you can.

Fishdad