1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

catcher's hairline fracture thumb problem

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by MoreCowbell, Dec 29, 2009.

1. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

....OK, now this I'm going out on limb here with an email address because it may not be available, never the less, Jenny Topping, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist, USA Softball Catcher,

[email protected]

Jenny worked with my DD at Dot Richardsons fantasy camp a couple of years ago. She was awesome. My DD is not a catcher and never really has been, but after a camp here and a camp there playing/learning infield stuff, she decided to lineup with the catchers group for this camp in Fla. anyway, it was a cool experience.

If Jenny Topping would go out of her way for a 14 yr old SS to learn a few gigs about catching, I'll bet she'd answer your question by email.

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted.

Fishman

2. ncchallengerscoach

ncchallengerscoach Junior Member

Another great teacher is Michelle Venturella. She was also an olympic catcher and will be in Charlotte for the National Softball Coaches Clinic.
    I give her a lot of credit for getting my middle daughter excited about catching.

Michelle Venturella came to Cary to teach a clinic with Michelle Smith. This was right after they won the Gold Medal in 2000. I was helping with the clinic so I took my middle daughter along just to hang out. The clinic was designed more for high school level players. My daugher was around 10 at the time. Michelle grabbed her and told her that she had to be her main assistant and she was going to use her to show different drills for the clinic. What a day. Not only was she one of the best catching instructures I have ever seen, but she also had a way with the players that was very positive.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. Gator_Dad

Gator_Dad Advanced Member

:iagree:

also, the 1st basemen mitts are terrible for good catchers who know how to use the pocket and receive the ball properly. They can develope bad habits for for younger catchers.

my DD uses a TPS catchers mitt. It is small in size but she will not use another one. It works for her.

Also for breaking in a mitt i use some 100% pure Lanolin. You can buy it at any local pharmacy but its pricey. Usually $10 for a small tube. It will be in the breast feeding section. Women use it to prevent cracking of the....ermm...you know...during breast feeding.

1 application and a tight wrap over night works great.