1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

CBC Spring Break Classic at East Mecklenburg Team Profiles Now Posted

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by LarryD, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Well said Julie's H

2. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

I wish I had a little extra cash to take out an add in the local paper inviting all youth baseball players in the Weddington area. Not discussing any issues, just an open invite to all youth baseball players.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Getting back to the tournament, one of things I am excited about is to see Coach Mark Mennitt again. I miss not seeing this guy very often. He's my all time favorite HS coach around. He's fun to watch coach; his teams are fun to watch play, and there's no finer gentleman.

It's a bit ironic, because of Mark's in-your-face coaching style, that all his players from Independence to Marvin Ridge love this man. It's because he always has their backs. Plus the man can coach!!!!!

I guarantee you this, he's not coming to this tournament to rest his starters or to downshift their intensity. He's coming to win!!!!!!

4. WCLion

WCLion Full Access Member

Team Profiles (Butler Bulldogs)

Now it's time to profile this year's field for the CBC Spring Break Classic at East Mecklenburg. We'll present the invited teams in alphabetical order and then finish with the hosts. Our first team is the Butler Bulldogs, with acknowledgements to The Southwestern Baseball Website (check out http://www.southwestern4abaseball.com/news.html to see preseason profiles and updates for all eight SW4A teams)

Butler Bulldogs
    Coach: Kim Cousar– 14th season
    2011 Record to Date: 9-4, 6-3 SW4A – 3rd
    Top Players: Brandon McWhirter – P (UNC-Pembroke), AJ Larson RF/P (USC), Ryan Hodge-SS (Gardner Webb), Chase Gehringer - CF, Tommy Hibbard – 3B/P, and Dalton Eisenbath -1B/P

Seaon to Date: The Bulldogs were the youngest team in the SW4A in 2010 with only two seniors in their regular starting line-up, that included sophomores in center and first and a freshman at second. That has not been the case for Butler in 2011. The last time Butler had such a talent laden squad returning was 2007, when they romped through the SW4A going undefeated, in route to a 27-1 record before falling to South Caldwell and Madison Bumgardner in the 4A sectionals. The 2011 edition of the Bulldogs has featured red hot hitting RFer AJ Larson, who has logged 2 Home Runs and a bases clearing triple in his last three games, junior Chase Gehringer, one of the swiftest players in the league, in center and an excellent SS in senior Ryan Hodge. Both corner infielders Tommy Hibbard (a two year veteran to the SW4A wars) and power hitting Dalton Eisenbath at 1B help anchor the Bulldog line-up. The Dawgs pitching staff has leaned on dominant lefty Brandon McWhirte, along with Eisenbath, and sophomore sensation Matt Baltimore. The Bulldogs are currently third in the SW4A and are in position to challenge for the conference title.

Coaches Corner (with Coach William K. Cousar): "We're playing in the Classic, because it is a first class tournament with very good competition each day. We're 9-4 up to this point. I'm disappointed in our defensive play over the last few games, but we will correct that. For the most part everyone is swinging the bat pretty well. We just want to continue to improve from one week to the next. Junior AJ Larson leads our team in hitting. Chase Gehringer has also done a great job setting the table as a lead-off hitter. Ryan Hodge has been outstanding defensively. Brandon McWhirter, Dalton Eisenbath, and Matt Baltimore have all thrown well this season."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  5. WCLion

Team Profiles (Hough Huskies)

Hough Huskies
    Coach: Jimmy Cochran– 1st season
    2011 Record to Date: 7-7, 3-6 I-Meck
    Top Players: John Piedmonte-RHP/2012, Chris Bruner-RHP/2012, Blake Dueitt-RHP/2013, Brandon Gragilla-LHP/2013, Spencer Venator-RHP/2012, Jared Sobo-2B/2012, Nick Daddio-C/2012, Jacob Buchanan UT/2012, and Greyson Oxidine-UT/2013

Seaon to Date: The CBC Spring Break Classic is pleased to welcome Hough High School to round out this year's field. As a brand new school the Huskies are the youngest team in the state, with NO seniors on their roster. Despite their youth, Hough began the year strong, defeating Robinson and AL Brown, before narrowly losing to SW4A powerhouse Providence in a 7-6 barn burner. Growing pains are to be expected for a team made up of players from several schools (mainly North Mecklenburg and Hopewell), and the Huskies are competing in the always tough I-Meck conference. Not only are the Huskies young, but they are still learning to play with one another. What they lack in experience, however, Hough makes up for in skill and ability. With Coach Jimmy Cochran at the helm and a deep talent pool from Mecklenburg County's growing northern end, this will be a baseball program to reckon with for many years. In 2011, the Huskies are continuing to improve each and every game. They are led by junior pitchers Johnny Piedmonte and Chris Bruner. In addition relievers Blake Dueitt, Brandon Gragilla, Bailey Ober, and Spencer Benator combine to give Coach Cochran a deep and talented pitching staff. Offensively, Jared Sobo and Nick Daddio lead the Huskies, with key contributions coming from Jacob Buchanan and Greyson Oxidine.

Coaches Corner (with Coach Jimmy Cochran): "The CBC Spring Break Classic at East Mecklenburg is a great opportunity for our team to get exposure and experience against top level competition. Playing 3 teams from the SW4A in 3 consecutive days will test our toughness and depth. Without question, we want to win all 3, but more specifically, we want to be mentally and physically tough and compete for all 21 innings. Being a young school, we want to take advantage of each time on the field to prove ourselves, earn respect, and be better than we were the day before.

We are fighting through some growing pains as a young program. I feel that we have the talent to compete each night, and our goal is to develop the toughness that it takes to win close ballgames in our league. Without question, we have gained ground as the season has progressed, but we are still looking to put it all together. I am encouraged by our progress, but I speak for all of our guys in saying that we are not satisfied to be where we are currently at."

Attached Files:

6. WCLion

Team Profiles (Independence Patriots)

Independence Patriots

Coach: Matt Dykema– 2nd season
    2011 Record to Date: 2-8, 5-9 SW4A
    Top Players: Carson Plyler-P/3B, Nick Salisbury -SS, Taylor Cook-P/CF, Brandon Wolf-2B/P

Season to Date: The Independence Patriots continue to improve under the leadership of head coach Matt Dykema. They've also benefited from the opening of the new Rocky River High School, which means that the baseball rich town of Mint Hill again attends Independence. The Patriots JV program is now stocked with young talent that formerly attended Butler High School, so things are looking up for the Patriots. Their record may not show it yet in the unforgiving SW4A, but this is a program on the rise.

Former Bulldog Sophomore Nick Salisbury leads the team in the field and at the plate. Salisbury has but one error on the year at shortstop and is hitting .412 at the dish. Brandon Wolf, Salibury's middle infield mate, is also wielding a big stick, hitting .361. He also provides valuable relief innings on the mound. Taylor Cook (4.15 ERA) and Carson Plyler (5.25 ERA) continue to log most of the innings for Indy. Plyler also leads the team's offense with a .476 batting average, while Cook hits over .300.

Coaches Corner (with Coach Matt Dykema): "
    We are competing in the spring break tournament for the second year and are really excited about the opportunity. The staff and East Meck runs a first class operation and we are grateful for that. We look forward to matching up with the some of the top teams in the area. I think that going up against these talented teams will help our guys play at a high level.

We are off to a slow start record wise, but we are playing much better than our record shows. We are averaging less than 2 errors per game. I feel very confident in our defensive play up to this point. Offensively we are batting .293 as a team and averaging 6 runs per game. I would like to see those two stats come up some in the second half of the season. Pitching wise we are at 5.03 era as a staff, I would also like to see that number go down below 4. We had a big non conference win over Mallard Creek early on 11-7 and beat Rocky River and East Meck in SW4A play. I look for us to turn it on in the second half and surprise some folks around the league. I definitely think we have the talent to do it."

Attached Files:

7. WCLion

Marvin Ridge Mavericks

Coach: Mark Mennitt– 4th season at Marvin Ridge
    2011 Record to Date: 9-6, 5-1 SCC3A
    Top Players: Justin Brown-3B, J.C Howze-2B, Dylyn Kwaiser-OF/DH, Brett Thompson-OF (Lafayette College), Zach Lax-OF hitting, Tyler Chadwick-P/3B, Brian Peart-P/1b

Season to Date: The Mavericks are currently leading the Southern Carolina Conference with a 5-1 record. To get ready for league play, Coach Mennitt scheduled a brutal non-conference schedule, with games against traditional powerhouses Ardrey Kell, South Mecklenburg, Charlotte Christian, and Cuthbertson. Competing early against top flight competition has served the Mavericks well, and they caught fire in late March, winning 6 in a row. At the CBC Classic they hope to repeat last year undefeated performance. Under Coach Mennitt's leadership one thing is certain, the Mavericks will compete on every play of every game.

At the plate, Marvin Ridge is led by Justin Brown (.471 BA), Josh Ferguson (.393 BA), J.C. Howze (.370 BA), and Dylan Kwaiser (.364). Outfielders Zach Lax (.333 BA) and Brett Thompson (.333 BA) stand out both at the plate and in the field, where they routinely make jaw dropping web gems. On the bump Tyler Chadwick has a sparkling .60 ERA, which teammate Bryan Peart amazingly tops with his own .35 ERA.

Coaches Corner (with Coach Mark Mennitt): "
    We are playing in the tournament because it provides the best competition,
    great atmosphere, and an opportunity to get "play off" ready. We are 5-1 in the Conference. In a small Conference, we only have 10
    Conference games, this magnifies the importance of each game."

Attached Files:

8. WCLion

Team Profiles (Hopewell Titans)

Hopewell Titans

Coach: Chet Greeson– 2nd season at Hopewell
    2011 Record to Date: 9-6, 8-3 I-Meck4A
    Top Players: Joe Bertone-LF (UNCW), Jordan Blair-P (Surry Community College), Hunter Conley-LHP/RF (Lenoir Rhyne), Michael Russell-SS (UNC), Justin Hammond-P, Cody Strickland-2B(Pitt Community College),

Season to Date: Hopewell might just be the most well rounded team in the I-Meck. They have a solid defense, plenty of pitching and a fair amount of team speed. What really makes the Titans special is their prowess at the plate. When their bats get rolling, Hopewell puts up runs in bunches. After an up and down start against some tough out of conference foes, the Titans have been on a roll of late. Currently, they sit in third place in conference and appear ready to make again make a run at the I-Meck title. The opening of Hough High School may have cost Coach Greeson some young talent, but this senior laden team hasn't skipped a beat.

Justin Hammond wields a mighty bat for Hopewell and is equally valuable to the Titans on the mound. He is joined by fellow seniors Hunter Conley and Jordan Blair to form arguably the I-Meck's toughest starting pitching rotation. Comeback player of the Year and North Carolina commit Michael Russell anchors the middle infield along with Cody Strickland. The two are also terrors at the plate. Add stellar LF, Joe Bertone, to the Titans battery and you can see why opposing pitchers dread facing Hopewell. Look for the Titans to again put more than their share of runs on the scoreboard next week and for the rest of the season.

Attached Files:

9. WCLion

Team Profiles (North Mecklenburg)

North Mecklenburg Vikings

Coach: Trevin Smith– 1st seaspn
    2011 Record to Date: 9-5, 7-4 I-Meck4A
    Top Players: Robert Beck-P/IF, Anthony Dimino-C (USC-Upstate), Paul Leonard-LHP (UNCP), Ryder Ryan-C/IF/P (2013),

Season to Date: The Vikings lost players to reassignment and to graduation. They also lost Coach Mark King, who retired after coaching at North Mecklenburg for a decade. So when the 2011 season started no one knew what to expect from this team. Now everyone in the I-Meck and this part of the state knows that the Vikings remain a team to be reckoned with. They started the year hot and raced right to the top of the I-Meck standings. Heading into Spring Break they remain in the middle of the dogfight we've all come to expect in the I-Meck. New Coach Trevin Smith has previously coached many team members in legion ball, which made his transition smooth and an immediate success. He has kept the team loose throughout the season. Viking Nation appears to be in good hands for the future.

Paul Leonard has emerged as the rock of the pitching staff. Robert Beck has also pitched well for Coach Smith, although pitching depth has been a concern for the Vikings all season. Anthony Dimino leads an exceptional defense and remains one of the I-Meck's most feared hitters. Sophomore Ryder Ryan has taken the league by storm and will be a player to be reckoned with for years to come. Overall, the Vikings demonstrate that baseball is a team game and it seems that a different player steps forward each game to do whatever it takes to score the winning run or make a game saving play. Last year the Vikings were involved in three of the best games of the Classic, which is saying a lot. Event organizers expect similar excitement when the Vikings take the field in 2011's event.

Attached Files:

10. WCLion

Weddington Warriors

Coach: Travis Poole
    2011 Record to Date: 9-5, 5-2 SCC4A/3A
    Top Players: Payden Honeycutt-INF(2012), Andrew Knight-C (2012), Ryan Langevin-P/OF, Jordan Newsome-P/INF (Wingate), Jeremy Schellhorn-P/INF (2013)

Season to Date: Perhaps the only team in North Carolina that faced a tougher non-conference schedule than Marvin Ridge were the Warriors from Weddington. Weddington's non-conference schedule included Ardrey Kell, Providence, Myers Park, Butler, Piedmont, Cuthbertson and Charlotte Christian just to name a few. They emerged from that murderer's row 4-3, including handing Cuthbertson their only loss of the year, battle tested and ready for conference play. Not surprisingly, the Warriors, along with their bitter Union County rivals from Marvin Ridge, lead the SCC heading into Spring Break. The Warriors have a deep pitching rotation, with seven hurlers having seen productive time on the bump. Behind the pitchers is a defense that has improved throughout the season. Meanwhile, their offense is opportunistic, more often than not finding a variety of ways to plate sufficient runs for victory. Bottom line, the Warriors are solid from top to bottom.

Jeremy Schellhorn and Jordan Newsome lead the deep pitching staff. Seven different pitchers have seen productive time on the bump. Catcher, Andrew Knight, continues to light up the offensive stat sheet while playing outstanding at the plate. The junior catcher is also a pitcher's best friend behind the plate. Ryan Langevin and Payden Honeycutt anchor the Warrior's outfield and infield respectively. Both are also tough outs at the plate. Coach Poole is again blessed with talented players in each and every class. In last year's Classic the Warriors played perhaps the most exciting game of the week against East Mecklenburg. The Warriors and Eagles will play this year's rematch in the opening day's 7PM game. It's a game I wouldn't want to miss.

Attached Files: