1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Charlotte Observer Sweet 16 poll

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Cliff Mehrtens, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Cliff Mehrtens

Cliff Mehrtens Member

Baseball Sweet 16 Poll

Rankings of the area's best high school baseball teams.

Rk. Cl. Team Rec. Prev.
    1. 2A Mt. Pleasant 14-0 4
    2. 4A Providence 11-3 3
    3. Ind. Charlotte Christian 15-3 10
    4. 3A Marvin Ridge 11-1 14
    5. 3A Lake Norman 11-1 NR
    6. 3A East Rowan 9-2 2
    7. 2A West Stanly 11-1 7
    8. 4A South Caldwell 11-2 NR
    9. 2A West Lincoln 11-0 NR
    10. 4A Ardrey Kell 10-4 1
    11. 4A Myers Park 10-4 5
    12. 4A Watauga 10-3 9
    13. 2A East Lincoln 10-1 NR
    14. 3A Kings Mtn. 9-2 13
    15. Ind. Providence Day 12-3 16
    16. 4A Butler 8-4 8

Also receiving votes: 3A Belmont South Point (10-4); 2A East Rutherford (7-4); 3A Porter Ridge (7-4); 3A R-S Central (8-5); 4A Morganton Patton (11-4); Ind. Cabarrus Stallions (12-1).

To correct a record, or nominate a team, call 704-358-5121 or email [email protected]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. countryboy17

countryboy17 Full Access Member

2A Mount Pleasant High

What can I say. After getting the well deserved attention, the Tigers lose their first game of the season
    to Central Cabarrus in a 4-1 contest.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Full Access Member

Being ranked #1 in this poll is like being on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

4. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Yea countryboy, but Mt.Pleasant was just coming off a big conference win over West Stanly just 2 days ago,,, and Central's a pretty good team with that kid pitching,,, but most of all, IT WAS ONLY ONE GAME.

I've said all season MP is best in county, and I'd still have to give MP the nod. Of course if you guys lose again today or tomorrow, maybe then its time to worry... :victoryg: ... but not now.

p.s. I owe you the burger next time...

5. countryboy17

Yep, You Win Some, You Lose Some and Some Get Rained Out!
    I'll take a burger any day, so you're on! My Friend!

6. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

Mount Pleasant:Getting No Respect?

Okay. I'm from the East. Is Mt. Pleasant overachieving? Are they in a weak conference? I noticed that they are not in Impacts Top 10 (2A)! Fill us in.

7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

karl, Mt.Pleasant is the "little ole country school" in Cabarrus County, but they've always had very good baseball. Last season the coach (Bryan Tyson) who has been very successful for years at 4A Central Cabarrus moved over and took the Mt.Pleasant job. Tyson brought his assistant coach (countryboy didn't Eric Laws go with him?) and also brought in his own man (Justin Ridenhour) to run the MP middle school program. Anybody that knew anything about the coaching and baseball in this area, knew THEN that MP was in good shape for the future after those moves. Countryboy can tell you more specifically about this year's talent, I know Garrett Furr is their best pitcher and he's a stud.

Bottomline, Mt.Pleasant's being ranked #1 in Charlotte Observer Sweet 16 is no fluke, maybe a bit high (esp since they lost yesterday), but they have been ranked in top 10 all year, and rightfully so. No question they are a top 10 2A program around the state.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  8. WHSPBaseball

WHSPBaseball Junior Member

South Caldwell is ranked above Watauga. Watauga has beaten South Caldwell twice, convincingly...hmm.:oops:

9. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Ardrey Kell played MP in a scrimmage game and I posted then that they were an excellent team. No suprise if you have seen them play they just need some more pub.

10. countryboy17

MPHS

Thanks DW! I didn't really want to say anything, but
    MPHS is a very good baseball team. I don't agree that they are the number 1 team in the sweet 16 poll right now. They are not hitting the baseball as good or anywhere close to what they are capable of hitting.
    IMHO, probably 10 to 16 would be correct. We lost today 7-6 to a weak Concord team and our record is 14-2. We just need to go out and have some "FUN" and
    everything will fall into place. I'm just glad they are getting some pub, but with the pub comes the pressure of playing up to the pub. We are the best in the RRC, but the RRC only has a couple of quality teams and that hurts when you play against a quality team such as the Ledford's and the Mountain/Eastern teams.
    As far as Impact polls, I can't answer that one. Not sure where Andy gets the poll information. He may very well
    be right on with his poll! Until MPHS plays one of those teams, we won't know for sure. We just speculate!