1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Charlotte Observer

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Catcherrr, Mar 6, 2009.

1. eyesup

eyesup Full Access Member

Coaches are asked to submit names from their teams only from Observer. How the sports staff decides what to do with that or how to research that is up to them. Honestly, coaches should only submit names when they know that player is honestly one of the best players in that conference, at that position and tying in the offensive talents as well. That is what we look at.

I know we keep honest stats, always have, always will. We had one player named, Leah Quant and I think Missy Wills could have easily been noted, but it is what it is. Leah is one of the best pitchers in the SW4A. She just K'd 11 players on the #4 preseason team in the state giving up 0 earned runs. She was the SW4A Pitcher of the year last year as well. Constance was player of the year, well deserving, and now she is doing her thing at UNC.

There are a bunch of other names worth mentioning of course. If people disagree, email the staff and get them more info and plea to get them to more big games. Talk to your HS coach and ask respectfully about the process. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some coaches did not get the info back in on time or at all? BUT, please do not take it away from the kids, especially when they read this stuff.

Here is the list for all to see, and really we all know a bunch of names that could be added to this list, but not may I would take off if at all for each class. Also remember it looks as if they were trying to cover 1A-4A in this one article. Probably better off dividing the classes up to truly discover the best talent in each class. Miami Herald does it that way along with many other big papers accross the country.

Players to Watch
    Posted: Tuesday, Mar. 03, 2009

2B/P Casey Baucom, Unionville Piedmont, Sr.: Skilled in several areas and was all-state last season.

3B Cherrelle Cousar, Lancaster (S.C.), Jr.: All-region player batted .555 as a sophomore.

C Erin Kayton, Marvin Ridge, So.: Impressive freshman season included .451 batting average and 27 RBIs.

P Megan Laxton, Alexander Central, Sr. Twice all-state and Northwestern 4A Player of the Year. Excellent hitter, too.

SS Makenzi McAteer, Monroe Parkwood, Jr.: All-state pick hit .440 with nine triples, 30 RBIs and .740 slugging percentage.

P Sarah Mooney, North Mecklenburg, So.: Impact freshman season included 24 RBIs, 13 extra-base hits and .459 batting average.

SS Kirsten Morris, Alexander Central, Sr.: Leadoff hitter, solid glove and signed with Meredith.

P Leah Quant, Providence, Sr.: Southwestern 4A Player of the Year, she had an 0.52 ERA and 147 strikeouts.

P Emily Self, Cherryville, Sr.: Big arm at a small school (1A). All-state last season.

P Kelsey Spurrier, Butler, Sr.: Will take over pitching duties for three-time reigning N.C. 4A champions.

2B Erin Taylor, Northside Christian, Sr.: Batted .432 with 22 RBIs, 33 runs and 20 steals as a freshman.

OF Taylor White, Butler, Jr.: Batted .416 with 21 RBIs for N.C. 4A champion last season and was all-state.

Cliff Mehrtens

2. Cliff Mehrtens

Cliff Mehrtens Member

Folks, please realize we have more than 120 schools in the Observer's coverage area, and have to narrow our players-to-watch list to 12 (from hundreds of players).

Sure, I'd love to be able to do a list of the top 50, or a conference-by-conference breakdown.....but space limits that....as you saw, we squeezed six different sports previews into that day's paper.

I picked the East Meck husband/wife coaching duo because it was a unique story, with a good human interest angle....sure, I could have done a story on Butler's winning streak/3 straight titles or Hickory Grove, but we only had one choice.

The Butler and Hickory Grove's will get their due in the paper.

All spring sports fans/parents/players want the same thing - their sport to be covered. I am glad to hear about worthwhile story ideas. Feel free to contact me anytime. Thanks for reading, and I'm always interested in your thoughts.

Cliff Mehrtens
    Charlotte Observer
    [email protected]

3. FPitch99

FPitch99 Full Access Member

Why not give each sport its own day for coverage?

Dear Mr. Mehrtens,

I appreciate you responding with your comments regarding the coverage of prep sports by the Charlotte Observer. I realize the Observer has a far reaching audience, as you mentioned, but why do ALL the various spring sports have to be covered and inserted on the same day? Why couldn't the Observer spread the coverage over a four or five day period, thus giving each sport and the participants the just exposure each deserves. I believe a conference by conference breakdown would have been a much better way to go. To pick only 12 individuals out of 120 schools, is really cutting exposure away from a lot of talented individuals.

Thanks again for expressing your viewpoint. It is appreciated.

4. php1

php1 SI Viking fan

Why not give each sport it's own day????

FPITCH99 has a valid point. Parents love to see their kids/school teams in the paper. I know I do. The Statesville Record and Landmark does a roundup on one of the local high schools each day. They do South Iredell on Thursday's or Friday's, now that softball season has started, I'll make sure I get that paper just to see if the team and/or my DD are in there. The Observer really doesn't do most local high schools justice.