1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Christmas Tournament Schedules and Results

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Ruckus76

Ruckus76 Member

You guys are missing a key point, which is the fact that Ali Ford always gets her points. That's what Freedom's offense is designed to do. The game will not be one or lost on whether or not Ali Ford scores 20+, if so then Mcdowell would be in trouble.

I think the key to the game is just how hard McDowell works. If McDowell plays as hard as they did last night (which wasn't very hard) then it will be a long game. McDowell MUST get back on defense because Freedom is gonna push the ball hard and kick ahead. Freedom also plays a lot of people. They are a very deep team so McDowell must have the mindset that they are gonna run and work from beginning to end.

McDowell in my mind is the more talented team and should win this ballgame if they come out and give 100%. They can't take any minutes off or with ford it will be a 7-0 or 5-0 run.

Good Luck lady Titans!!

2. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

I think we're saying Ford has to have 20+ because Washington usually gets 20+. Then, who's gonna step up? I think you have to look at Morrison or Hamilton to get in double digits.

I also think you'll see somebody like Gellman or Ward have a good game for McDowell. They were just a little overwhelmed by Indy, though Ward played a decent game.

I agree rebounding is a key for both teams, but a running game favors the Lady Titans.

3. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

Valid points Ruckus76...Ford and Washington both are gonna score their fair share of points. Both teams for the most part run their offense around the two players

I've only seen Freedom play twice this season and that's been the last two nights. Both Madison and West Caldwell IMO are not the type of teams to prepare you for a championship game in any tournament. Freedom does love to run and they like to press, the only problem is that same style works right into McDowell's favor.

I think the Hamilton/Morrison matchup is going to be interesting. I saw some things in last night's game that leads me to believe Freedom might try to exploit that matchup. On the otherhand, I'm courious as to what Freedom is gonna do defensively when you have Gellman down low along side Hamilton.

4. bigdan

Other scores from area tournaments on Wednesday night...

First Charter Classic Quarterfinals

Forestview 78
    Mooresville 22

Providence 49
    Southlake Christian 42

East Gaston 69
    East Lincoln 47

Lady Hilltopper Classic Semifinals

R-S Central 61
    East Rutherford 56

Frances Hernandez (R-S) 25 points

Shelby 52
    Butler 50

Lindsey Montgomery (Shelby) 21 points

BTW: How does one of the so-called best 4A teams in Charlotte lose to a 2A team?

Consolation Bracket

Crest 47
    McDowell JV 40

Gaffney 73
    Chase 23

5. matrix123

matrix123 Full Access Member

Catawba Valley Classic from Wednesday (12/27)

Hickory over Newton-Conover

Maiden over East Burke

St.Stephens over Fred T. Foard

Bunker Hill over Alexander Central

Todays Games 12/28

Semi-Finals
    Hickory vs. Maiden
    St.Stephens vs. Bunker Hill

Consolations
    East Burke vs. Newton-Conover
    Fred T. Foard vs. Alexander Central

6. bigdan

Freedom Christmas Invitational Girls Championship

Freedom 82
    McDowell 78

McDowell blew a 12 point lead at the start of the 4th quarter. Freedom deserved to win the game. Now that they have finally beaten us for the first time in a long while, we may have a three team dog fight in the Northwestern 4A.

Kurie Washington 33 points
    Ali Ford 29 points

All Tournament Team

MVP: Ali Ford (Freedom)

Kurie Washington (McDowell)
    Brianna Morrison (Freedom)
    Ebonique Hamilton (McDowell)
    Chelsea Connelly (Freedom)
    Leandra Doomes-Stephens (Independence)

BTW, Indy beat Madison by about 20 or so points to win third place.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  7. mountainball

mountainball Full Access Member

Pioneer Holiday Classic

Game 1
    North Surry 36
    TC Roberson 47

Leading scorers:
    Whitley Culler NS 21
    Tee Ara Copney TCR 10

Game 2
    Watauga 67
    West STokes 42

Leading Scorers:
    Ashlyn Baird W 12
    Paris Brown W 11
    Anna Romano W 10
    Jazmine Travis WS 12

Watauga held West Stokes to 4 field goals in the second half.

I'll update the games tomorrow as soon as I can.

8. jccunc1

jccunc1 29ers Fan

Forestview 54
    South Caldwell 49

9. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

Yeah, it's hard to understand why McDowell started the 4th with several quick, low percentage shots, when they could have used some clock. They had a good lead to work with.

But, Freedom deserves all the credit. They sensed the momentum change, and really poured it on! There was some fine shooting going on out there.

It's great to see Ali Ford swish (what? 8 straight free throws down the stretch, why foul her?), the pressure foul shots, when a lot of pros can't make 6 out of 10. Go figure.

To those of you who missed this game, you might think of catching all the rematches. Great job both teams!

10. dribbles

dribbles Full Access Member

This took on the feel of the rivalry that FHS-McDowel had developed over the last 25yrs...Fox gets her 1st win over Silver and her star (FORD) nails the game with 8 straight free-throws.
    I like to look and the not so obvious(,but the obvious is that the Washington-Ford match-up didn't disappoint and these 2 are by far the best 2- NW4A girl players)
    The not so obvious:
    *Ford's 36% of the patriot scoring makes them a better team than when she has been scoring 50% of the offense. Man! does this girl see the floor and keep pressure on you every possession.
    *at end of 3rd Quarter McD was up 56-44...that means 50pts were scored in the 4th Quarter!
    *Ebonique played a solid low post game and made some very tough turn arounds
    * the C. Conley freshman (all-tourney means FHS may be tough for a couple more years)
    *McDowell need some points from K. Greene, who I think had 1 basket-Ford was guarding her.
    *I wouldn't try predict the outcome of the next 2 match-ups ..i believe both teams will be better from this type effort at Christmas...
    It was good to see the fans of both teams so into a game again!