1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

clarification of rule

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by donsettles, Sep 13, 2009.

1. donsettles

donsettles DonSettles

This happened in a game today and I would like some input on the ruling.

Bases loaded, last inning, 2 outs and team is down 5-2. Batter hits a sharp line drive to outfield, runners on 3B and 2B score easily. The runner that was on 1B rounds 3rd base to head to home and collides with 3rd baseman about 3 feet down the 3B line and they fall down. Runner crawls back to 3B to prevent final out of game. Umpire signals obstruction call. But removes it once the runner returns to 3B. Offensive coach protests, but told because the runner did not try to go home, the obstruction is withdrawn. Should the runner have been awarded home? or was call correct? There was no play at third and the ball was being thrown from outfield to home. The play at home would have been very close.

2. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

there are others here who are better to answer this question but it my understanding that an attempt must be made to advance... going back even though it may seem like the smart play is in fact the wrong play on the part of the baserunner in the event of a collision.

3. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Correct

Runner must continue on toward next base or obstruction call will be withdrawn.

4. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

I saw a play where my kid was rounding 2nd and was obstructed by the SS. The ball was thrown to 3B and my kid was out by a miile.
    She was awarded 2nd base.

Fishman

5. edge4sball

edge4sball Junior Member

That is in fact a delayed dead ball call, if your runner continues to attempt to advance she is awarded that base, if not the call is withdrawn

6. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

I've got a dollar to bet you that just attempting to advance is NOT an automatic safe call at the next base.

Fishman

7. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

My understanding on the obstruction call is that the runner is protected to the base she tries to get to. If she tries for home in this case she should be awarded home but if she attempted to get back to 3rd she should be awarded 3rd.

I did have an ump tell me once when a player was obstructed that he didn't give her 2nd when she was obstructed running from 1st because she wouldn't have made it there in his opinion. But he did let her stay at 1st.

8. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

Correct call. The runner made the bad decision to return to third. The umpire cannot reverse a bad decision by a player. This is an example of the importance of players knowing the rules of the game.

Obstruction protects the runner to the base she was attempting IF IN THE OPINION OF THE UMPIRE SHE WOULD HAVE SAFELY REACHED IT HAD THERE BEEN NO OBSTRUCTION. If she would not have been safe, she would be put on the preceeding base.

9. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Coach

Coach should have told her to continue once he saw the signal for obstruction, I am sure the kid was not aware there was obstruction call made as it is not always automatic.:twocents:

10. donsettles

donsettles DonSettles

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad the umpires got it right. Not glad it cost us the game. However a lesson learned and I can assure you that player as well as the whole team will know the rule for future games!!!