1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Coach Stewart resigns at UNC-Asheville

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Gman13'sdad, May 27, 2009.

1. doctorbuzzy

doctorbuzzy Full Access Member

2. Hatfield made rain

Hatfield made rain Full Access Member

yup.Just one of the reasons I dont like Baddour.

3. Rally Cap

Rally Cap Junior Member

What's the latest?

Its been awfully quiet lately. Any new rumors regarding a new coach? IMHO no prep coach, even Tommy Smith, should be hired to run a D1 program. Tommy is a great asset and I hope he stays on but not as HC...and how long would he be around anyway? I truly hope the AD wants to build a winning program and hiring a young and eager HC would be a great start.

4. doctorbuzzy

Some additional info about the search . . .

The finalists named to date are:

Eric Filipek (currently head coach at Asheville Christian; former asst coach at WCU & Duke)
    Tom Smith (currently asst coach at UNCA)
    Dan Taylor (currently head coach at nearby Mars Hill)

From the newspaper:
    http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090622/SPORTS/90622045

There is also some mention that these are not all of the finalists, but only those that have interviewed so far.

5. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

McGuire, from Winthrop, to be interviewed Friday. He "allegedly" has some major donor support and also would require more support from the University for the program to help get them to a more competitive position.
    Word is that an announcement will come sometime next week

6. Gman13'sdad

on another board it was posted that the "administration" told McGuire this morning that "they are going in another direction". Also stated that Coach Smith will be named Head Coach very soon...

I guess if they want a coach to run a DI program on a "high school" budget, this is the best choice.

7. doctorbuzzy

8. Gman13'sdad

just wanted to point out that if the choice is Tom Smith then, I'm sure, he will do everything he can to motivate the players, improve facilities and get the program to a more respectable level.
    For an old fart (I can say that cause I'm one too!) Coach Smith brings a lot of energy into what he does. He certainly seems to care about his players and hopefully that will be reflected back to him through better performances on the field.

Whoever is the choice will only have one day to get their new hat, a couple of shirts, their stop watch and the radar gun and get packed up to head down to East Cobb for the 17u's.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  9. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

If it is Coach Smith, his connections with current and former pro players may help him raise the money to improve facilities. Although my son decided to attend another school for baseball, Coach Smith did a great job recruiting him once he took over his recruitment from one of the other coaches.

10. niknat

niknat Full Access Member

I just saw one of his former high school players on tv last night. Chris Narveson pitched a perfect inning, I think it was the 7th, for the Brewers at Wrigley field. I saw Narveson pitch in his senior year at TC Roberson. Tom Smith ran a great high school program back then.