1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Coaching Vacancy Updates?

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by bigdan, May 7, 2007.

1. God of Basketball

God of Basketball Junior Member

Haven't seen a schedule for next year as of yet. If the usual schedule happens, we would see the following:

Avery - lost some good players & won't have the size they've had in the past
    Ashe - the Jones kid, which has killed us for 2-3 yrs, hopefully has graduated
    West Caldwell or Hibriten - should mean a W
    Christmas Tourney - should get at least one win
    Mitchell - usually has a solid team

Conference?

Nothing should be taken for granted. McDowell, Freedom, ACR and E. Burke are always tough. Hopefully, we can steal a couple of games in that mix. The rest are up for grabs. The girls could realistically have 10-12 wins next season. The big thing I want to see is better decision making. A coach can put the players through drills, run them, encourage them, but he still isn't the one making the passes. Our girls need basketball IQ and discipline.

My point is we should give the new coach and his team a chance to prove themselves. I think we all want what is best for the girls. I'm sure the new coach does, too. Times have changed. Twenty or thirty years ago a parent would never have approached a coach about playing time. The coach was in charge. The best thing for a coach to do now is put 10-12 players on the court at the same time and let the ref decide who plays. Otherwise, the coach gets crucified by parents who think they know better. We have to admit somethings. As parents and fans, most of us don't know how to run the flex offense or defend it. That's the coaches job. Let the guy who is supposed to know, try.

--God

2. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

Ashe still has some young players that a very good. The schedule won't be too drastic of a change.

Home and Away with Avery
    Home and Away with Ashe
    Home with Myers Park
    Home and Away with Wilkes Central
    Possisbly one more Charlotte school
    Hibriten or West
    Christmas Tourney

3. highcountryhoops

highcountryhoops Junior Member

Here is my 2 cents worth:

I think that the powers that be, school board member and rich community member, saw the resignation of Coach Dixon as a way to clean house and get ris of all the coaches. The above mentioned people did not like the coaches remaining on staff. They did all that they could do to make this happen. Even to the point of getting their way onto the interview committee. I think that it is said when money and people who think they have power can run a school system. I just wish that someone would sue the school board one time, for all of their immoral doings.

I heard this weekend that Coach Eggers and Coach Dunnigan will not be retained on staff at WHS. That is a true loss to the girls program. The players love both of those coaches and respect their style. They are two of the best girls coaches around. Their time and efforts they poured into the storm program has brought these girls to the level they are at. I think it is sad that you let them go because they were associated with the program under Coach Dixon. They do not coah the same as Dixon. I know this from first hand experience.

I am not saying that Coach Anderson was a bad choice, but not keeping those coached on board to help him with the transition, was a bad choice.

4. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

I heard, and this is unconfirmed and could be totally false, that Coach Dunnigan could end up coaching somewhere in the men's program.

5. mtnman606

mtnman606 Full Access Member

i sure hope your right with that he is a good coach and a better man be great for the boys

6. God of Basketball

God of Basketball Junior Member

Coaching Changes

We know that some influential, complaining people were involved in removing the previous coach. However, Coach Anderson has had his own group of people helping him in the past. It may be he prefers his people over the previous coaches. His people are more familiar with his system. He doesn't have to re-teach everything to new people. Coach Dunnigan is a good man and coach. He lost probably less than five games last year. Hopefully, Dunnigan will be kept around as a varsity assistant. I don't think this was a "clear the house" thing.

--God

7. mtnman606

he has the right to bring his coachs with him bobby a good coach and i am sure that he will coach aau ball at watauga but i think that if anderson does not do it his way put a stop to all the parents that think they know what is best for watauga and just not what and how much there kids are playing it will be much of the same till that happens nobody can win at watauga i coach 14u watauga and we have had some of the same go on with my team but we put a stop to it right away and that is what anderson will have to do

8. WHSHOOPSFAN

WHSHOOPSFAN Member

God Of Basketball,

You seem to be VERY close to the basketball situation. Do you coach there? Coach Anderson does not have his own system. He has Coach Sanders system. And basketball is basketball. How many "people" does he have with him that he is going to bring to the girls staff? And I would not dare say that his "people" know as much basketball as Dunnigan and Eggers. And from what I hear most of his people coach football, so who is going to run the team durig football season? The girls are going to suffer all around. From what has been said and from what people from the interview committee have said, it is supposed to be a "clear the house" situation. They must not have any coches from the old staff around.

WHSPioneers,

That would be Dunnigans first time coaching boys. Don't see that happening, but I have been wrong before!

MTNMan 606,

No offense, but please write in complete sentences and use punctuation. It is hard to follow your post. If you are so good at stopping all the parent crap, why did you not apply for the girls job?

9. mtnman606

we all run rob system as for as aau bball at the 14 u to try to get them ready for high school i just heard that bobby may help with the boys could be fresman or jv.and as head coach of the girls 'anderson' he has the right to pick who he would like to help him.as for as parents when a parent tells me that her kid better than everyone else just because she from sc and that if she knew that the coach and watauga bball was like this, she would have moved i say go back were you come from, and in the locker room stuff that went on you have to but a stop to it if you want to win ,you have to play as a team thats all i am saying every kid is not an all star as a coach what does it matter if you coach boys or girls if your system works you should do fine.i did not know i was back at school writing a paper for english "whshoops "give the knew coach a chance the girls need all the support we can give them man i am gladd i have a son coming to watauga and that my daughter chose to be a cheerleader for 4 years this being her last year.

10. mtnman606

as for as coaching girls not for me i coach boys aau bball for watauga.and people wonder why we cant get people to coach up here,anderson might be thinking what did i get myself into.and i know andy and bobby both are good coachs and men and would have done a good job for watauga but they did not get it so lets get behind the program and give it a chance to work.