1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

College Club Team vs Showcase Team Tournament

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCMtnBBDad, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

If I could get the gig as Coach27's bodyguard, I could get in for free (?) .. and as long as I am back East by 3:00 start time for Champiionship game in local tourney (coaching), I would be fine... heheehee\\(btw, does the security / bodyguards thin include meals at the complex?) :trampoline:

I sure would like to catch a few of hose morning games...

2. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Diesel

didn't get the word? I am going to be at NC Wesleyan tomorrow. You are supposed to pick me up in the limo with the rest of the security detail. If you decide to go to the tourney in Cary don't worry about the gate fee or the concession stand. Its taken care of. Stretchy is going to make sure your taken care of. Right Stretchy???

3. ChltBballfan

ChltBballfan Full Access Member

Great Tourney Stretchy!!!!

This was the 2nd week end in a row I was at the USA baseball complex, wow what a great facility. The only bad thing about it; why is it not in Charlotte, NC, oh well that is a topic for another day. Stretchy, great idea for a showcase. Next year I hope you get another weekend besides the "SAT" test week end. Here are some scores.

Moosic Mets 11 ..........These guy's have some sticks
    James Madison 6

SC Panthers 4 .................Corey Roberts WP
    James Madison 1

SC Panthers 11 ................Alex Wood WP
    Wake Forrest 2 (I think)

I think UNC's club team, the Moosic Mets, SC Panthers and 1 other showcase team made it to tomorrow's playoffs.

ps Stretchy, it was great putting a face and name behind the post on TBR.

4. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

Please come

Would be GREAT to have you guys.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  5. Coach 27

Stretchy knows how to put on a Tourney!!

PA for all games. Scoreboards for all games. Outstanding umpires. And a great format. Not to mention at the best site for a tourney you will ever go to. Great job RS.

6. Stretchy

Round Two goes to the showcase teams

NCST 5 So Canes 3
    UNC 15 Anglers 2
    Moosic Mets 11 JMU 6
    Maryland 12 Anglers 2
    SC Panthers 4 JMU 1
    So Raleigh 8 Clemson 2
    Maryland 8 No Raleigh 7
    SC Panthers 10 WFU 2 Tyler Tewll had a two run homer
    So Canes 4 Clemson 3

Extra game: Moosic Mets 10 Wilson Bulldogs 6

I did get to talk to the coaches from NC Central, Shaw U and Duke about some of the kids.

SC Panthers play UNC in one semi-final at 10:30 am
    So Raleigh plays Moosic Mets in other semi-final at 10 am

3 pm is the Championship game

Consolation games tomorrow:
    Maryland vs Clemson
    Anglers vs JMU
    So Canes vs WFU
    No Raleigh vs NCST

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  7. Stretchy

Many many thanks guys

Can't do it with out great volunteers including our very own Gman and gkg who ran scoreboards.

8. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Great Event

Thanks for putting this together! The club teams are much more than some young men just thrown together to play. Much better teams than I envisioned especially the pitching the Panthers faced with each throwing 82-85 with a couple of pitches.

Great to see you RS and I hope this grows into an annual event for you!

9. Coach 27

I have to agree

with you Dawg. I saw a SS playing for a club team last night that could flat out play. He def has the ability to play at the college level. I also saw a lh hitting 2b for another club team that was lights out both in the field and at the plate. The pitchers were much better than I thought they would be. I talked to one dad of a club player who said this was only their second game together this year. I love the way these guys get after it and compete. I also admire the fact that they refuse to give up the game and continue to play while attending college. This was a great idea and I hope it starts something that will continue in the future. Playing these club teams brings an intensity to the game thats alot of fun to be around.

I wonder if UNC will throw Matt Cox at you guys tomorrow? If so that should be alot of fun to see.

10. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

AGREE, AGREE, AGREE!!!

I too was very impressed to see some of the talent on the club teams. There are absolutely some guys that could be playing at the college level. Hats off to all the college guys... they are playing for the love of the game! They talked each other up, barked at the umps (who barked right back!) and really showed "team" spirit. I was also surprised to see how many parents/family members/fans came to support these guys. I guess when you've been dragging that lawn chair to ball games for so many years it is just as hard for a parent to put that chair away as it is for a player to put away their bat and glove.

The Showcase teams, in some cases, were not as sharp as they could possibly be due to missing a few players due to the SAT. The SC Panthers that I watched play the JMU team, was as solid as ever. Roberts was a stud on the mound racking up the K's. The Panthers are always a class act. I didn't get a chance to see the Mets team, but from what Stretchy (a HARD taskmaster to be sure!) said, these guys are the real deal!

The North and South Raleigh teams, from the Greater Raleigh Fall Baseball League, showed well. This used to be THE place to play in the fall back in the days before showcase ball came into being. For a while the GRFBL fell off somewhat with players going the showcase route and too many, well to tell the truth, marginal players allowed in, as well as some coaches that had some agendas that were contrary to what the GRFBL was supposed to be about. It seems that Ken Shuey has straightened some of these problems out and now talented players in the Triangle area have a viable option in the fall.

The USA Complex is really a great venue for a tournament (NCHSAA... State Championships??? All classes, one location, massive turn out, great media coverage, scouts, college coaches all in one place... seems like a no-brainer!).
    Anyway... Except for having to keep your head on a swivel to keep up with all the action, and to look out for foul balls, there is no better place in NC to watch a tournament. Living less then ten miles from this park, my son always thought they were building it just for him! He's had the chance to play there a couple of times and it's really cool to watch your kid play on that Stadium Field. The only thing that could make it better would be if he was out there with the USA on his uniform. I'm sure that, for some of the kids we know here at TBR, that will happen!

I hope Stretchy makes this tournament an annual event. For the showcase teams, it is an opportunity to play good competition and for the club teams, I'm sure it would be one of the highlights of their seasons. Plus it gives everyone a chance to come see Stretchy at his best... and that's not sitting behind the plate, looking at his butt, while he calls a game!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008