1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

College Club Team vs Showcase Team Tournament

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCMtnBBDad, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Stretchy, I know you have been planning this since the beginnning of the summer. Congratulations in putting on a successful tournament. You know how to do it right. I hate going to tournaments and the scoreboard is not being utilized and using the PA ia a classy touch (I know the players and parents appreciate it). You deserve all kudos coming your way :SPcheer006cheerbril

2. Back Seat Coach

Back Seat Coach Member

Thanks Stretchy!!!!

Nice to meet you Friday night. I was like a kid in a candy shop. My wife had women to talk to and I could go from field to field watching competitive baseball. Nice clear, cool night..... what could be better!!

I know fall ball is about being seen, but throwing in a tournament in the middle of the season that has winner to it, is a nice touch.

And.... my asking about your ticket prices earlier didn't come off too well...... your pricing structure was right on target in my opinion. For Friday night, it was no different than going to a HS game... EXCEPT.. I watched parts of three games. That was nice. And if I had the time on Sat or today..... $10 is a bargin. The players parents will think differently but for one without a dog in the fight.....it was fine with me.

Thanks for running this event.

3. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

Am just sorry I couldn't make it, as it sounds like it was a great event. Pitt County Tournament this weekend, so had local ball to go and watch. Was a fun weekend here, with lots of ball, but sounds like Stretchy's Shindig was a hit all the way around. Good job there, oh Stretchable one...

4. oldbbguy

oldbbguy bullpen

Good job Stretchy

Enjoyed the tourn. and visiting with you this w/e.The club teams brought a passsion for the game that you don"t often see.They all played hard till the last out,win or loose having fun just being there and enjoying the game.It reminded me of earlier days when Matt played for you and it was always fun.With the showcase dynamics becoming so hard driven and the grind that it is, it was refreshing to see this format and the guys playing good teams,out there playing for the love of the game.WELL DONE!!

5. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

What a weekend

All you guys made this weekend the best I have had in the last few years of tournament ball.

Sun, boys wanting to win, parents watching and socializing, college guys not wanting to lose, me not dressed in blue all weekend.....it couldn't get any better.

Thanks to every person that came out to make ALL these kids feel special.

6. Stretchy

Round 3 goes to the Club teams

Anglers 8 JMU 2
    So Raleigh 8 Moosic Mets 7
    UNC 7 SC Panthers 4
    Clemson 10 Maryland 6
    So Canes 13 WFU 0 (Narron, Taylor and Dupree went yard this weekend)
    NCST 9 No Raleigh 4

UNC 5 So Raleigh 2 in the Championship Game
    MVP: Michael Velten starting pitcher going 7 innings

Big time congratulations to the So Raleigh team. I had never seem them play and did not really know how good they were. Well I would have lost a bundle in Vegas betting against them as they got BIG wins over NCST, Clemson and the Moosic Mets to make it to the championship game. Awesome.

UNC 4-0
    NCST 2-1
    Maryland 2-1
    Clemson 1-2
    WFU 0-3
    JMU 0-3

So Raleigh 3-1
    Moosic Mets 3-1
    SC Panthers 2-1
    So Canes 2-1
    Anglers 1-2
    No Raleigh 0-3
    Wilson Bulldogs 0-1

Special thanks to Tony Russo Tampa Bay Rays scout for coming out to see the boy's play today.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  7. catcher10

catcher10 Full Access Member

It's gonna be tuff...

to out do yourself next year Stretch, but I know you'll find a way. Great to talk with you again; congrats on a wonderful weekend and a fine tournament. We throughly enjoyed ourselves and the boys are always are excited about playing at such a fantastic ball park. Thanks for everything.

8. Stretchy

Comments from my tournament partner Matt Tunnell

Could I use some of these quotes for a little write up for the club web site and I'll send something to the N&O. Great compliments about the club teams and I think this really "showcased" the level we have in the NCBA. I even talked to a dad who had a kid on the Anglers who said he never knew club ball was what it is and said he is considering trying to get his kid into State and play club baseball instead of taking a few thousand $$ at some smaller school like Methodist just to play ball. He was impressed and is a lifelong NC State fan and said he wouldn't care varsity or not that to see his kid play in the red & white would mean the world to him.

That spoke volumes to me and if club baseball gets one kid from this tournament who wouldn't have known about club baseball, it was worth it to me. Mission accomplished in my opinion on all accounts. Next year, we can take this to a new level. I'm going to go ahead and start talking to some of the top club teams in the country. If it's wood bat, Colorado State might come and they would have run this tournament. Some of those comments on the blog sites will create some excitement for this thing next year. Thanks for asking to partner with me on this thing. I had a great time! I'm exhausted, but had a great time and can't wait for the next tournament.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. gkg

gkg Full Access Member

Accolades to Stretch

Echo all the statements above. Event was fun for the kids and was run very well. Look forward to attending next year.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Again Richard, based on all accounts, you and your partner did an outstanding job. I believe your affiliation with this endeavor went a long way to help the college clubs get some recognition they deservedly earned. Most people don't believe how talented many of these kids are.

The part I like the best is the College players are doing this because they love the game and are not ready to concede hanging up their spikes. Not to take amything away from your partner's hard work, but I know this is something you have had in mind for a long time and have done a marvelous job in getting it set up.

I hope TBR was able to play a small role in helping gather attention and is able to play a bigger role next year.

Congratulations, my friend!