1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

College exposure on a limited budget

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by dirtdevil, Nov 4, 2009.

1. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Junior Member

Hey there! Looking for ideas on how to get our daughter exposed to colleges other than travel ball. She is a very talented player but unfortunately the family cannot afford any extra expense right now. We are thinking we should send her to some college clinics and such. Just looking for ideas...she has been playing since she was 8 and its her time now but unfortunately the money has run out :(

2. LBlues 1

LBlues 1 Full Access Member

Yep

Prepare a video, develop a quality profile and get them out to coaches of schools for which you have interest. Also, get some letters of recommendation from former travel coaches, HS coaches, and put together a booklet of information that goes with your profile and video, much like job seeking.
    D-11 and D-111 as well as NAIA will offer tryouts if you create enough interest with your packet so spend some time and do it right.
    On the video, you can do it your self, no need for professional assistance, it should be 5-7 minutes covering fielding, throwing, running, hitting, make sure you get home to first times if possible and overhand throwing speed.
    If you need help, I will assist on all areas at no cost! Good luck!

Oh clinics are good if you are attending schools of interest but travel and cost can be tough as well.

3. Dukedog4

Dukedog4 Full Access Member

Clinics are your best bet

Usually they are relatively inexpensive and coaches can evaluate skills and ATTITUDE up close and personal. Clinics work best for pitchers (radar guns, at least good ones, don't lie) but position players can also get noticed. Those things most likely to impress coaches at clinics for position players are speed (again, stop watch doesn't lie) and power (hit it 230' from front toss and heads turn). Unfortunately, having a 'good glove' won't get you noticed much without one of the aforementioned attributes. Truth is very kids are signed primarily because of their defensive skill. I'm not saying this is how it should be but that's what I've observed.

A warning, though. I've seen clinics work against some kids. If a youngster looks disinterested, doesn't pay close attention to instruction, is last to move from station to station she's likely to be noticed . . . and not in a helpful way.

These things are auditions and your child needs to bring her "A" game.

4. Throwing Heat

Throwing Heat and Catching Heat

Video Definitely Needed

If you follow the advice that has been given so far, you will get some looks from a D2's, D3's and JUCOs. In the video, the hitting skills can be shown while hitting off a machine, but most importantly, get some live hitting off a pitcher. If she isn't going to be seen in 'action' in a game, then she needs to be seen hitting off a live pitcher.

For postition players, Defensive skills are a must, but I think most college coaches are looking for the girl who can change the game for them offensively.

5. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

I Probably Shouldn't Share This--BUT---

The last 4 years I had sponsors to help incur my daughter's expenses so that is one avenue, and yes it's called humility or "begging" ----LOL...But it sure does help to know that other people believe in your cause. And after this year I was able to share with some of the sponsors, and the first word was wow I'm sure glad I was able to help. But Duke / Rodney's ideas are other good ways of getting her seen also.

Guru

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. Tatertot

Tatertot Full Access Member

There are coaches on this board every day talking about how they help girls get scholarships and they just do it for the pleasure of seeing the girls succeed so contact some of them and tell them your situation. I'm sure they would help. I have seen the Cardinals team advertise for players at no team fees. I guess because they make enough money through fundraising. Also if a team is a non profit organization they cannot turn any girl away because she doesn't have the money or they risk losing their non profit status. Good Luck.

7. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Junior Member

many thanks

Thank you for all these great ideas! We will start checking into getting a video and some of the other great ideas. Softball is in her blood and it is her dream and just reading these posts has motivated her again. She is out in the garage hitting off the tee as I type this :) She has been pretty down thinking her dream is gone and missing playing with a team. She is working and babysitting with hopes to have money to play this summer and with all this great feedback maybe she can make it work!

Thanks again so much.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. luvmygirls

luvmygirls Full Access Member

Good to hear she is encouraged and motivated again. There is great advice and generosity on this thread. I would take advantage of it.

9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

What area are you in? How old is your DD?

If your DD can play ball I would be totally surprised if lack of money would keep her from playing TB; there are just too many good people involved in softball in NC for that to happen. I think I read at least one post in this thread that directly confirms that.

10. treck

treck Softball is my life

Look for quick and easy

Between now and the end of January there are a number of 1 day camps at various schools around the South. There are also several individual events where a single player can make an impact on their own recruiting without regards to a team environment. Look for those opportunities as they are usually shorter in duration, which means fewer hotel rooms and out of town meals. Go to each particular schools web site, that are of interest to your daughter, to check for camps. Some camps have mutiple college coaches, like the Univ of TN camp. So you are seen by many at one time.

As far as individual exposure, the Southern Star All-Star Showcase in January and August, and the Queen of Diamonds in January and August both provide individuals with an opportunity to showcase their talents.

just FYI,
    Ty