1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Concord Post 51

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by Baseball Coach, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Baseball Coach

Baseball Coach Full Access Member

Does anyone have any information on what
    Concord is doing for 2011 ?

2. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Hey Coach, did you receive my private message about a week ago? I'm not aware of any Concord legion posters unless it would be MP2 who posted on another thread. Coach Knight is also a poster on TBR, he may have some info. I'll let you know if I find out anymore.

3. Baseball Coach

Baseball Coach Full Access Member

Tj21, I did recieve your P.M. However I have not
    found any contact info. Thank You.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is what was posted on our board a couple of years ago. It's probably a good place to start to get some information.

"CONCORD - Plans are under way to continue to field a Post 51 American Legion baseball team.
    Tim Furr is heading up a group that met Sunday night to discuss what needs to be done.
    “We just want to get the word out to the community that it’s a go,” Furr said. “The entry fee has been paid. We’re in the process now of soliciting money and getting as many people involved as possible.”
    Ronnie Bost returns as head coach of the team, which would play home games at Central Cabarrus High School again this season.
    Corporate donors are being sought for program advertisements.
    Also welcome are organizations or individuals willing to volunteer staffing help for games.
    Those interested are asked to contact Furr at (980) 521-8828, Tony Freeze, (704) 467-3382 or Robin Swaringen, (704) 786-0307.
    The Post 51 team has been in existence since 1948. It’s a member of Area III Southern Division.
    Officials announced late last year that replacements to run the team were needed because of the advancing age of those who had been keeping the program going.
    Post 51 started a Junior Legion team for the first time last May, joining the Senior team that has existed for decades.
    Continued sponsorship of the Junior team has not yet been decided.
    Bost said it is desirable to involve players in Legion ball as early as possible.
    “If we can get hold of them early and get them in here, that’s the biggest thing,” he said.
    Statistics were cited as of 2005, stating that 80 percent of all college baseball players and 52 percent of major league players participated in American Legion baseball. “In Legion, you’re in a conference, you’re doing the little things, hit-and-run, moving the base runners, the positive things like that,” Bost said, talking about some of the benefits of the program.

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Thanks Braves, I didn't have the phone numbers.

Baseball Coach, call either Tony Freeze or Robin Swaringen (numbers listed above).

6. bigal

bigal Full Access Member

Good turn out

Post 51 had a organizational meeting for players this past week. There were some pretty good ball players in attendance. A couple of the high schools that feed Post 51 are in playoffs so I'd expect several more players to express interest once the playoffs are over.

Thanks to the coaches and organizers for helping to revive Post 51 baseball.

7. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Tim Furr is still helping with Concord Legion, so they will be just fine.

8. bigal

bigal Full Access Member

I've seen Tim around at multiple games. He's doing a good job spreading the word and getting in touch with the high school tallent!

9. Baseball Fanz

Baseball Fanz Junior Member

Tryouts

My son went to the information meeting the other weekend, gave them our e-mail address, but hasn't heard anything. Any info on try-outs?