1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Conference Re-alignment

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, Nov 24, 2003.

1. playme

playme Full Access Member

re-alignment is one thing...play-offs is another...at the risk of being banned from TBR i must surmise...Play-offs in the NCHSAA is more about East vs West than Charlotte teams vs the rest....Raleigh is more of a neutral site for most teams.

currently ACHS, (in Taylorsville), travels to play AC Reynolds, (in Asheville), approx. 100 miles and vise versa...by bus, 1.5 to 2 hours travel; the kids, (who play sports), miss half day of classes and do not arrive home until after mid-night on a school day. regardless of what sport they play, regardless of which school does the traveling..High School is about academics and not sports.

the last time i looked on a map Raleigh is more central state than Charlotte... Greensboro or Winston-Salem would be about right...Charlotte is the largest city and can probably have their own leagues and tourneys..however, State Championship games may not be fair, travel wise, to teams from Waynesville playing teams from Elizabeth City if they are held in Wilmington...Waynesville has to travel all the way accross the state..Rocky Mount has to travel to Wilmington to play Asheville Reynolds...Greenville has to travel to Hendersonville...this is high school sports..

if a round robin format is used and teams are provided with rooms and meals and a guarantee of 2+ games then moving the play-offs around would be more appealing, rough on parents but great for bigger cities like Goldsboro, Wilmington, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc...but what about the smaller schools? would Charlotte share all the revenue with Boone, Taylorsville, or Wilmington? not just gates, all revenue? What does Raleigh do with it now? is it divided between each school?

the purpose of the NCHSAA is to be fair to all schools involved, (this is loaded),..they don't always do it but hopefully they try..they expect kids to be more responsible than adults, ( loaded).

i'm not tryin to ruffle feathers here but there are reasons for everything that sometimes noone understands...but from what i can see Charlotte is not the central location in the state.. Winston-Salem or Greensboro is...i'm talking about play-offs here..

2. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

My objection to the current arrangement for state championships is that they're held in the Raleigh area EVERY year. While it may be more central than some other locations, it means that any Raleigh area teams in particular and eastern NC teams to a somewhat lesser extent receive a decided advantage EVERY year.

I traveled to Zebulon and Cary to attend the baseball and soccer championships in 2003. The obvious advantage for the eastern representative was that they had a larger contingent of fans. Less obvious, but of potentially greater consequence, was that the western team had to go through the rigors of much greater travel. In the case of baseball, which is best-two-out-of-three, it means that the western team stayed in a hotel, while the eastern team's players were sleeping in their own beds.

It's never going to be exactly equal in this regard; but, if the site were alternated between eastern and western locations from year-to-year; at least it wouldn't always be the western team that has to travel like they do now.

Spread over time, it's patently unfair; and the NCHSAA is responsible for it.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Now..now..playme. To my knowledge, you have only been banned 3 times...not bad for an AC supporter :D

Seriously, whether one agrees with your post or not, it was a great post...well said and well thought out. I wish all posters would treat these boards like you do.

4. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Income from the playoffs goes to NCHSAA, not to any local or sponsoring organization. This includes gate receipts at all state-level play-off games, so it's not about the money. It's about putting the playoffs in the back-yard of the Raleigh teams each and every year.

If they rotated East/West each year between Raliegh and Winston-Salem, It would be better than the current system. I understand the need to put the playoffs in a large city. You will need an infrastructure to support it (hotels, etc). you could go on an 8 year plan: 1 time each in Wilmington, Asheville, Charlotte, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Raliegh, Winston-Salem and Durham, rotating East/West every year. It would be better than the current system.

5. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

Great post Playme. The only thing I think you may have missed was that we were only referring to the state championship series. As NCBBFan stated, it's just to move this series anround the state. There would be no problem with teams traveling and staying overnight because for the most part, the schools involved in June have already had graduation!

Because of a "rain out" in Zebulon this past year, Ashbrook spent 3 nights in a hotel, while East Chapel Hill players went home to rest. The end result didn't matter, but it could have played a huge role. I'll say one thing for the teams from the West, we had more fans in the seats than did the "local" teams!

6. 0716195golf

0716195golf Junior Member

I must agree with Playme on this subject to a certain extent. The chapionships should be played in Greensboro or Winston-Salem. I personally think that those are the 2 most "centrally located" areas in the state thast has the room to accomodate thousands of people. My only recommendation would be this: to make it fair to all players lets have them stay in hotels and not be allowed to stay at home. Cost wise I know this would be a problem to some schools, but again we are talking about the state title games. Also, as a former Charlotte resident I dont' think that Charlotte shoul dever have the chance to host because of the area. It is not located in a good spot, and is to congested. Lets make it fair to everyone in the state, and enjoy the greatest game in the world! Also, Playme I just got back in town and that cup of coffee sounds good. I am just in and out of town so much that it is hard to set anything up. I will be attending hopefully as many of the ACHS baseball games as I can, I will try to sit behind homeplate because from that spot I can get a good reading on the Payne kid with ym gun. Did I see on here where Providence is coming to town this year? I am going to request that weekend off so I can watch that game!

7. playme

playme Full Access Member

Thanks guys...i guess that it is no surprise that i want to be just like Braves, prepster, and NCBBall fan when i grow up...

congradulations to the Panthers...i thought Troy was still suffering from a concussion while announcing the game on Fox...Collinsworth needs to retire and Buck...to think he is going to do baseball...i thought all 3 were biased when they first came one tv...hopefully Fox will seek some free agents in the off-season...

hs baseball cranks up soon....golf if ya want to meet for coffee pm me...

a round robin tourney for state championship sounds good...G'boro and Winston could handle that...all teams must stay in a motel and all high schools share in the proceeds...hows that?

8. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Possible PAC-6 Realignment

The way I see the numbers, this seems to be the most logical realignment to the PAC-6. This purely involves the enrollment figures listed and schools that have had previous ties to the PAC-6 or Durham area Schools.

Jordan - 1828
    *Chapel Hill - 1778
    Riverside - 1737
    Person - 1710
    Northern Durham - 1588
    *East Chapel Hill - 1585
    Southern Durham - 1457
    Hillside - 1443

There are issues to look at regarding this realignment. There will be a new Chapel Hill high school in 2005 (I believe). Therefore one or more of the Chapel Hill schools may drop in two years, much like Orange has done this year. Secondly, Southern Durham may not want to play in this conference because they may would rather have the Durham schools as non-conference opponents for big gates and since there is thought that teams that are in their current conference "travel better" than some in the new league. Ihave heard this from someone who would know. in order to have a more stable 4A conference, it may mean expansion and inclusion of some western Wake County schools unless the PAC-6 were to become a 3A-4A conference. I believe if possible that conferences shoudl consist of schools of the same classification (similiar enrollment).

Just my 2 cents worth.

9. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

...in my case, it's growing "old" and growing "out", not growing "up".....

10. jda

jda Member

The PAC-6 conference alignment mentioned in Coach Evans' post is the rumor we are hearing over here in Chapel Hill. The new school is scheduled to open fall 2006, but I will not be surprised if it is 2007 before it is done. I believe the opening target enrollment is about 900 and would draw from both schools, so East and CH will drop to 1200-1300, which would leave them near the top of 3A or bottom of 4A.

-jda