1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Continued Changes To Create Less Interest?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Diesel1, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Diesel1

Diesel1 Stay Strong, Uncle Sam.

If you have been watching the CWS, the commentators keep eluding to the NCAA "deadening" metal bats in the near future...along the lines of creating metal bats that "act more like wood".

We are all aware of the 1 year moritorium placed on composite bats for the 2010 season while "further study" was to be done. (Thanks, Demarini...hahaha)

Proclaimed purists of the game argue the game should be played with wood anyway, but invariably fail to pony up on the cost economics of wood vs metal in college sports.

Personally, it makes no difference to me. I enjoy college baseball at all levels and changing bat weight/density/dynamics makes very little difference to me. It theoretically will not adversely affect batters or the game, but it will. You know it will.

Now here's your kicker...CURRENT SOLID RUMOR is that with the advent of the 2011 season, collegiate bats will be taken from minus 3 to minus 1.

It does stand to reason that changes in bats will shift from an offensively explosive game to more of a defensive game. OK. But is this what we REALLY want in college athletics.

This shift potentially means lower scoring games and potential "doldrums" in a college baseball game that the casual fan will not find interesting. Could it be the NCAA may be cutting off it's nose despite it's face? Less fans, less gate, lack of interest = less revenue.

The lack of scoring potential and explosive innings will most likely cut into interest and would impact attendance and revenues. At a time where baseball at BEST has 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster, of which 27 must have a minimum of 25% scholly... could this be a shortsighted knife in the side of college baseball? We would all love to see more scholly available for kids in baseball (do yourself a favor and read up on the battles of Ron Polk). But I think this slow evolution of the college game will adversley affect more scholly potential.

From more players choosing pro over college, to lower revenue and potential loss of funding due to interest, the scope of this is broad, but I will stop here with this little bites of info and enjoy your thoughts and feedback.... positive and negative

2. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

You make very valid points, and I do agree. That being said, it would give the pro scouts a little better idea of a players ability to hit with wood. i do have concerns with the live bat and pitchers and corner infielders getting hurt. Players are bigger and stronger and the bats were getting livlier and livlier.

3. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Full Access Member

BALLS

Why don't these guy's take a page from men's slowpitch softball and change the ball, all they need to do is to sofen the core so as the ball is dead enough to take the edge off the bat techs and then the bats can continue to be made like they are and if you don't hit it in the mouth it won't go anywhere. We use to hit a 52 core ball back in the 80's and now with bat improvements they hit a 44 core last i heard. The ball is different for HS, College, and the MLB anyway for size of seams, so how hard could it be.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Very valid points Deez. I hope Prepster weighs in on this topic. Many years ago he made some valid points on why college coaches don't want to go to wood bats, but I don't think for your reasons. I just wish I could remember what they were.

I'm a purist and I'm a father of a pitcher, so I hate metal bats, but I understand your reasoning. It goes back to the "Chicks dig the long ball" slogan...and MLB bought into that lock, stock and barrel. It's funny. They lowered the mound, produced baseballs that are tightly wound with no seams, a ridiculous strike zone and you hear guys who should no better say, "Pitching in the ML's is not like it used to be"...Doh!!! Of course it's not.

But I don't like metal bat hits, especially after a pitcher located the perfect pitch and it's drilled--on the handle-- for a key hit.

Hey, I didn't even bring up the safety issues.

5. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

Listening to the CWS i thought I heard a comment about a quote from one of the coaches stating that the college game and recruiting will be changing over the next several years. Many of the powerhouse teams will have historically recruited power guys; and developed their game strategy for the long ball. Considering the changes coming with metal bats these coaches are now looking more to the lean, athletic, speed guys. In the future they will alter the style of play more toward small ball.

I am torn between metal and wood. Metal makes thee game more exciting. We have all heard the comment that "wood is the great equalizer", and you can see it in the stats from all the summer leagues.

I agree with Braves, change the ball. Last spring I was talking with a minor league palyer that was starting his second year. He told me that the ball was dramatically different- harder. In college, he may hit 3 of 10 out during BP. In training camp, he hit 6 of 10 with less effort.

Yes the game would be differrent, and all of college baseball would pay a price of less ticket sales. But for the the true baseball fan, it would still be a great game.

Do you think TCU would have some back from 5 runs down last night, (scoring 8 runs in the 8th inning) if they were playing with wood? Doubtful!

Two years ago I witnessed a college pitcher receive a line drive ( traveling at least (90 mph) off his jaw. It was one of the most horrific things I have ever witnessed. The young man had three operations to repair the damage. I can still see it in my head.

Changes are coming, good or bad is each person's perspective. No matter what safety should be first.

6. Diesel1

We have been hearing the talk of "revamped" recruiting for several years now. Many are eager to use the term "gorilla ball" and use SEC as the example for "that type of ball". I just think it's other conferences way of taking a jab at the SEC. TCU is a good example of big athletic strapping guys who can run bunt crush and hit for average. Clemson as well.. Heck, any team in the CWS, for that matter.

For years we have heard "the recruiting will be towards smaller, faster, etc"... truth is, look at MLB and the Pedroia's are the rarity, not the norm. Some will buy into the "latest" theories on how to get to the CWS and recruit accordingly. But look at the ones that are there and their rosters. The teams that rebuild/reload/return. It takes a perfect combination of players and the right chemistry to achieve what these guys achieve by being there. BUT... reality is, college and MLB are 2 different brands of baseball.

Just some more nuggets for thought... if colleges move to -1, doesn't it stand to reason that showcases should/would as well... as they are where the coaches go to see the players? How accurate a guage is it for a college coach to see a player hit at State Games with a minus 3 and try to project that into a minus 1 (yes, I know they can still see the mechanics and fluidity of the swing). The first outfit out there to promote a minus 1 tourney might have a very captive audience!

If the college baseball field winds up being slap and run, speed vs defense, does it wind up running paralell to womens college softball... and winds up with only parents and true fans of "the game" as the paying specatators.

ESPN has done a terrific job packaging the CWS (ad nauseum) since they grabbed it. The product they are selling is definately a boost to the interest of college sports fans who might not otherwise attend their fav schools baseball games. Avg attendance figures back it up, as does the run production run in paralell. My fear is these are college guys and does attendance drops as the reigns are pulled in? MLB is the cream of the crop... whether we like it or not the juice ball era revitalized interest in baseball. Chicks (and TV) dig the long ball.

Todays D1 college baseball player stands to be bigger stronger faster than his counterpart from 10 years ago, due in large part to the emphasis of strength training and advanced training techniques geared toawrds the sport specifically...so I think the dingers will still be very much a part of the game with minus 1.

As far as TCU comeback... 3 of those HRs woulda gone out using wood with ease...lol The Grand Salami ball was crushed on the meat of the bat... def a wood bat HR with same swing in same spot of barrel. Won't nothing cheap about that one hahaha That game is the PERFECT example of why Rosenblatt is sold out. With baseball there's always a chance right till the last out.

I agree on your safety points. But getting laced up is always going to be part of the game... wood, metal or wiffle ball. I witnessed ball exit speeds from wood bats by HS players this Winter that were 90 plus. They had the gun setup to record it, with the readout beside the player. (I saw numerous in excess of that)

Can't comment on the ball, although I have heard similar stories and been around it with HS guys taking BP with "pro" balls. Will withhold my observations as just that.

I am merely tossing out food for thought. Not making a stance one way or the other. I want college baseball to thrive and continue on its growth in such a way that scholarships abound. If this is what we need to achieve that, I am willing to ride with it.

I appreciate the responses thus far. I guess this being a HS board, few will be motivated to chime in... but if you don't think changes to the college game don't affect your HS kid, it might be time to look into soccer...lol

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Deez, you make some compelling reasons that are legit. No matter what direction college baseball takes, there will always be room for the "Big Boppers."

I love the fact that college baseball has improved dramatically in interest over the years. The interest in the CWS is a great measuring stick and TV ratings confirm that.

Quite frankly, if the bat issues are changed resulting in less HR's, I think the Boppers become even more bonafide because those guys can hit HR's with a toothpick.

I may be in the minority because I'm biased. I will always remember my son getting hit in the head with a thud---and then seeing the ball get launched in the air into the opposing dugout. Could it have happened with a wood bat? Maybe. Would I feel differently if my son wasn't a pitcher? Maybe. It's hard for me to say.

But I do agree that today's ballplayers are bigger, faster and stronger from players in the beginning of the 2000's. I recall in 2003 in Jupiter there were only 3 HR's in the whole tournament. This past year, there were 3 in one game.

If it takes metal bats to generate more interest in the college game and it can affect scholarships and recruiting, then I will raise my hand and agree with using metal bats, too.

8. Diesel1

I am all about safety and I will say, some of the composite bats were definately over the line, and the coaches were the ones that brought it to the attention of the NCAA.

I guess I want so much for college baseball to continue to grow and gain a monetary foothold for all schools, at all levels... to give as many kids the opportunity to continue to play as possible.

But college coaches are wiley, and baseball players are young and impressionable/adaptable. They will adapt and regardless of the changes made, will figure out a way to keep the game exciting, dramatic, strategic and fun for all. Players will certainly adapt as hitters and will exceed expectations. College players will figure a way to generate those exciting rbis, I have no doubt.

If indeed college moves to minus 1 this coming season, we may see minus 1 showcases as early as this Fall!

9. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

I dont think

it will take guys very long to start swinging what the college players swing and It shouldnt imo. I have always been one of those guys that would love to see the metal bats go away at all levels. I am old school - the game was meant to be played with wood. I like the wood bat game much better. I would rather see a 3-2 game than a 13-12 game. I enjoy seeing the team that executes bunt offense and defense , cut plays , moving runners etc be rewarded for that. Metal bats change the game and they reward you for things that you shouldnt be rewarded for. I think it hurts the development of players but thats just me.

I think the casual fan and the people that have grown up with nothing but metal have every right to want to keep things the way they have always known them. I would feel the same way if I had not grown up with wood and played with wood. I enjoy the strategy of wood bat baseball. I enjoy seeing a team move a runner to 3rd with less than two and then finding a way to get him home. I understand that many people go to the park to see home runs, balls off the wall and tons of runs scored. I enjoy seeing a ball hammered as well. But for me there is nothing like wood bats for pure baseball.

I understand exactly what you are saying Diesel and your arguments are valid. Buf for me if they did away with metal bats today I wouldnt miss them for one second.

10. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

Nails on a chalk board

No sound is worse than the PING of an unfair metal weapon!!