1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

****Dealing with Pressure

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Braves, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I thought I would share this with you guys. It's pretty good!

I have received permission to post this from a great Mom...I hope it helps some of you:

Hope you don’t mind if I share our experiences of this past year, as I’m convinced they happened to us for this purpose. It’s a little long, but here goes...
    Last year at this time we were impatiently awaiting the start of our college son’s junior year… draft year. On opening day scouts were everywhere, but our guy struggled at the plate … and continued to struggle week after week. Nothing he did seemed to help. He spent nights after practice in the cages until his hands bled. He read book after book, sought out advice from everyone, changed his stance, his bat, even dropped the switch hitting that he and his coach had worked so hard on … but nothing worked. He missed his coach, who had died the previous summer, but he pressed on hoping to honor him. The low point came in a game at the end of March when he went 0-5 with 4 K’s …swinging …in front of a pro scouting director that had flown in to see him. I watched as he left the field in tears … through my tears… wondering why all of this was happening.

We drove over to his apt. parking lot to wait for him, like we always did, but he didn’t show. After 2 hours his truck finally pulled in and out he emerged … with a big smile on his face!
    “I suck!” he laughed. I didn’t know what to say. He continued, “I went to a park, had a little talk with the Man Upstairs, and now realize that I can’t do this by myself. No matter how hard I try, I can’t. From now on I’m just going to do my best and turn the rest over to Him. Let’s go get a big steak!”

The next weekend series was remarkable. He went 10 for 12 with 2 HR’s… and the success continued, game after game, week after week, for the rest of the season. Just that quickly his slump turned around and he batted over .500 for the remainder of the season. The right MLB team saw something they liked and drafted him in the 3rd round last June. Whenever anyone asks him what happened … what changed things around … he tells them his story and how he learned who’s really in control.

Dear Parents … I know how you are feeling if you have a son approaching an important season. I know the sharp little pain that grabs at your stomach whenever you think about what’s at stake. But I hope that whenever the pressure rises you’ll remember, “To everything there is a season … a time for every purpose under heaven.” Your son can learn so many wonderful life lessons through the ups and downs of his baseball journey and all of these experiences have the potential of molding him into a better player and man.

My prayer for every parent that struggles with fears and doubts, as we still do, is that you’ll be able to find a peace that surpasses all understanding in the promise of God’s love for your son. Have faith and always remember … he’s in good hands.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  2. Original

Original Full Access Member

WOW! What a wonderful....wonderful story to share! Thanks!
    Very uplifting AND......right!

Good for him and thanks to the mom who shared!

3. Braves

Well, Original, sometimes a young player puts so much pressure on himself that he never gives himself a chance to succeed...always worrying about things he can not control

4. highntight

highntight North Meck Dad

Life's Pressures

After a very difficult past year, I have found this method of dealing with pressure to be a very important message not only for baseball but for life. What a wonderful conclusion for this family! Thanks for the story.

5. MsFishwrapper

MsFishwrapper Junior Member

I have been reading and pondering your insightful comments for some time now and felt I had to finally post. What a great post as all of our guys are under so much pressure right now. Thanks for sharing on the board and in the stands (even green ones)...you are an inspiration to us all :)

6. Braves

Thanks Mom---I'll be home for dinner around 8:00.

Seriously, that was kind of you to say Fishwrapper. I knew exactly how that Mom felt and thought it would be a good idea to share her story.....

...but please keep in mind MsFishwrapper...I am infiltrating those Green stands in hope that I will turn them Red!!:D

Oh and someone as intelligent and acquired good taste as yourself is a welcome addition to the Board....so please post often

7. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

I was recently at a ball game when I over heard this reply from a well known HS pitcher in the Charlotte area when he was asked about the added pressure of all the scouts at a game. " This is a baseball game, there's no pressure here. There are guys my age fighting for their country in Iraq, that's pressure."

This from a 17-18 year old. Impressive, to say the least.:applause:

8. Original

Original Full Access Member

posted by rcbbfan
    "I was recently at a ball game when I over heard this reply from a well known HS pitcher in the Charlotte area when he was asked about the added pressure of all the scouts at a game. " This is a baseball game, there's no pressure here. There are guys my age fighting for their country in Iraq, that's pressure."

This from a 17-18 year old. Impressive, to say the least."

Indeed! That is a great perspective and so true.

9. FittyCent

FittyCent Junior Member

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the story Braves.

10. Braves

This was a great story that i wanted to share again