1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Debates: Freshman Teams, Parents in sports, Iredell County

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

We have last period PE. It's called men's athletics and women's athletics. And that is on a 4x schedule. So they get 1 1/2 hrs a day. The way you work it is you take it for 1 semester each year.

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This was discussed back in '03...interesting read

3. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

Iredell County Baseball

WOW!!! Look how things have changed. I'm pretty sure LKNBaseballfan's son has committed to a great program, LKN HS has won a state championship in 3a and moved to 4a. Mooresville HS has been a tough team. Msvl Jr legion has won 1 and finished 2nd twice in the state championships. Statesville and the other county schools are still struggling, but there has been improvement.

4. Braves

Yeah, that's why I brought it back. It was interesting to read the comments back in '03 and where the programs stand now. Obviously, Coach Little has done an outstanding job.

5. PutMeInCoach

PutMeInCoach I Love This Game

Watch out for Statesville High School Baseball in about 3-5 years. There is a group I work with called Powercross (www.Powercross.org) that have been playing travel ball together now for 3 years. These kids are phenomenal athletes and love baseball. They are finishing 1st or 2nd in most tournaments now as 12U and are something special to watch. You can thank Jeff Storment @ Powercross for this. He is doing something special for the athletes at Statesville. They also have a winning football program for these kids playing in the Southland league and last year advanced all the way to the Under Armour National Championships in Orlando, FL. The kids pay absolutely nothing to play either sport.

6. Braves

Believe me, there is no one happier to hear about the success of the Statesville kids than me...congrats to Jeff Storment in getting it started and with a new coach at Statesville High, he can reach much success.

7. Truthbetold

Truthbetold Member

Those posts were done in 2003. I think the point of bringing this back, in part, was to show how things have changed-

North Iredell High School- just hired a new ex-minor leaguer from Davie County. Things didn't go so well this year, but hopefully this guy will help get them on the up and up. Denny Key Jr. (http://www2.statesville.com/content...s-new-baseball-coach/sports-high_school_prep/)

Statesville High School- the exiting coach really tried his best to ignite that program. Unfortunately it did not work out. I hope they bring in somebody with his fire for the game. Although their records the past few years wouldn't indicate it all that much, they were extremely competitive in a very tough Rowan dominated conference. They were ahead late in many games but didn't have the firepower to stay with those more talented teams. Does have a J.V. team now, and has for a few years.

Lake Norman- Won the 3A state championship last year. Nuff said.

Mooresville- although not part of Iredell-Statesville Schools, they have enjoyed some great successes the past few years.

West Iredell- Has been, and probably always will be, a talented school when it comes to baseball. Im not saying they are they best in the state, but they do compete. Top 3 in their conference usually, I think 3rd maybe this year?

South Iredell- Has not traditionally been a powerhouse, but has made the playoffs the last two years, went to the 2nd round of the 2A playoffs this year. Had a kid signed to a good scholarship to Catawba. Does have J.V. teams, not winning a bunch yet, but is working hard to get there.

For the state of the fields- North Iredell has a brand new field, has some kinks like getting the playing field perfectly level, but a really nice facility. Lake Norman's field and facility are improving, I heard they just got some really expensive batting cages? South Iredell's field has been overrun with renovations the past 3 years, and is in great shape. Statesville has great surroundings, and the field is really pretty nice. Mooresville's is okay. There is going to be a huge little league park put in right between Mooresville and Statesville that should generate some good baseball interest. Not sure how much use the local leagues will get, haven't heard yet.

For the most part, I think the posters from 2003 should be pleased with the progress being made by the high schools.

The youth leagues aren't stellar, but travel organizations are growing. PowerCross, Lake Norman Wildcats, Iredell Vikings, Mooresville Bulldogs, several other youth baseball and softball organizations are really building and doing well. Hopefully those same posters are pleased by that as well. I am pleased with the progress of the county.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. Braves

:biggthumpup: exactly....and Trey Ramsey is doing an excellent job, but I knew he would. I thought it was interesting how much things have changed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  9. rtowler

rtowler Junior Member

On the comment of freshmen sports. When I moved to NC 12+ years ago I was surprised that the High Schools in Wake cty did not offer freshman sports of any kind especially since most are now over 2,000 students. Growing up and attending a school that had approx 1800 we had freshmen sports for all the major sports. It was great for the overall success of the programs to have these feeder groups. Now with the budget crisies in Wake even JV programs are scaling back and requiring more outisde support than ever before.

For Frosh sometimes it is really a numbers game, how many spots will be open. If progams were perfectly balanced you would have what maybe 7/8 players for each class particpate on the baseball team. Given most Wake Cty schools will have 500-650 freshmen entering HS the math becomes tough.

10. weyco2000

weyco2000 Full Access Member

You think you got it bad? Kannapolis has the worst baseball facilities around. We have 2 Dixie youth Fields across the street from a trailer park, but those guys do a great job with what they have. Our Middle School has a solid dirt/gravel infield and is only 6 yrs old and in poor condition. Our High School field is used for football practice as soon as Legion is over and doesn't recover until next football practice has started. Our kids that want to practice, have to do so at the middle school and it's controlled by our great city. You may show up and someone has rented the field, so it's back home. All our city parks have softball and so***r fields, but baseball is a dead around here. Be happy with what ya got... :teeth: