1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Define Obstruction/rules

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by marlinfan1, May 16, 2007.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

OK

in the picture w/ the catcher's legs spread wide apart over home plate as she awaits the thrown ball, it appears she is providing a clear enough path for the runner to slide in. If that sequence does not change a lot, I'd say she is not obstructing.

2. Mhurd01

Mhurd01 Junior Member

The rule book also states that, If a walked batter runs through 1st base, you could tag the runner and she would be out. Even if she attempts to go to 2nd or not. If she is walked, she may only tag 1st and must stay on 1st. If she steps off, she can be tagged out.

3. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Not so fast

I see a defensive player clearly out of position with regards to her "right to protect homeplate". This catcher appears to be passed the batters box. I think that one possible arguement that a coach might have in this particular play is the catcher obstructed the runner advancing to her next base. Bam! umps hand goes out to his side. Now this, given the picture here, lets imagine if you will that the catcher is OVER the plate. Her setup to receive a throw would allow the runner to reach home by sliding. Catchers legs are more than shoulders length apart which to me is ample room to find a base.

4. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Altered path

Nice TBA. An altered path by the runner does require a defensive adjustment. I told a buddy today, if I was at the so-called coaches/ump conference before the game, I might have ask for an interpretatio of this rule.