1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Delmon Young

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, May 6, 2006.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. The #1 selection in the draft, Delmon Young- HS selection, has all the talent in the world. I saw him play in Jupiter at the WWBA games. I had heard whispers about his attitude, but people chalked it up to his young age.

You would think with all of the evaluations the MLB clubs do on a player and then risk a huge investment in a HS player, that character should also be a top priority in their decisions. But with the selections of Delmon and Matt Bush and the problems that they have incurred...it makes one wonder! (having said that..thank god for Justin Upton, a class act)

Check out this video and let me know what you think about this incident. Oh, BTW, Delmon was slated to move up to the Show this year...hmmm..Albert Belle would be proud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQk0w2E0kf8&search= Delmon Young

2. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that any athlete would do something like that and not be seriously fined - whether it be game time ban, money, whatever. It is a travesty that the majority of us, as parents, spend 18 years trying to teach our kids the right morals and ethics and then, in these type of athletic situations, they are allowed to totally disregard them because of their "athletic status". Athletes (be it high school, college, minors, majors, whatever) used to have a role to fulfill to the younger players - playing with integrity and to the best of their own ability (at least I THINK that's the way is USED to be), but now, it seems as if it's all about the almighty dollar, all about the athlete, all about how big you can make yourself so you can hit all the homeruns (with "roids) so you can beat the TRUE athletes records, etc. IMHO, as replayed in the video, this Delmon person appears to be acting like a spoiled brat and should be treated accordingly. :banned:

Accountability - what was the definition of this word again???

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'll tell you what really bothers me; some people found it amusing... like it was a form of entertainment. Society sure has changed dramatically....and I'm not such a young man (but younger than NCBBallfan) nor as tolerant as I was, but I do have an 8 yo and I wonder what the future will hold for him in terms of acceptability.

4. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Well said flotg....:xyzthumbs most young "Superstar" (not all) think they are bigger than the game, not just baseball but all sports. I still believe it all starts at home...I would be willing to bet he had simular situations at school, travel / showcase teams etc...parents and coaches alike probably condoned his actions or chalked it up to "being a kid"....I agree 100%. these are the actions of a Spoiled Brat!:rocktoss

5. flotg

flotg Full Access Member

Braves, you're absolutely right - in a world where EVERYTHING seems acceptable, maybe it's up to us to teach our kids (your 8 yo and my 17 yo) that these kinds of thing are NOT acceptable and not to settle for being like the rest of the bozos out there - those who think that they can just do anything and everything they want to, those that think they can run over those in their way on the way up, those that think there will be no consequence.

I assure you, as we say in our home, "what comes around, goes around". Whether it be in this lifetime or the next, the way you behave, the way you treat others, your morals and standards - they WILL matter one day. You will have to justify your actions to SOMEONE, one day and be ACCOUNTABLE for them.

The world HAS changed and it sure doesn't seem like it's for the better anymore :(

6. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

There is a lot to be said for having respect for the game. This kid apparently has never been taught that. I wonder how many times in his baseball playing days a coach has, benched him for throwing a bat or helmet, arguing with an umpire etc...... This is the kind of kid that also creates dissension in dugouts and locker rooms. If he had attended our HS he would have had 3 choices. Behave, transfer, or run track. And those of you who know our coach, knows I speak the truth. :twocents:

7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Seems to me that the kid should have spent a couple nights in jail for simple assault. I know that a few hockey players have been charged with assault for sneak attacks during games. Whats the difference?

8. observer

observer Full Access Member

I had a friend whose kid was acting a little cocky during a basketball game towards the refs and opposing team so she marched down to the court and pulled him from the game! The coach was begging her not to, put she would hear nothing of it. She only had to do it once. My boys knew the story and also knew from early on that if they acted unsportsmanlike in ANY manner, that I would pull them from the field or court. Or if they misbehaved in school, guess who would be sitting beside them in class the next day? ME! So far, it's worked wonders!

9. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

The threat of embarassment for a teenager is such a wonderful motivator. :agreed:

10. wossa

wossa Not a ********* any more