1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Diaries of a High School Coach

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, May 26, 2003.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I thought it would be a great idea to have a High School coach explain what it is like for him. Dealing with all the issues surrounding that position.

-- Having to cut decent ballplayers
    -- Dealing with parent politics
    -- Pressures from school administrators
    -- Relationships (or lack of) of fellow rival coaches in your conference
    -- Relationhips with your players
    -- Financial concerns
    -- Pressure from immediate families

These are just some of the subjects that would be interesting for a coach to address...I'm sure he would respond to more.

I have asked one coach if he would be helpful in addressing this thread and he responded, " Definately, I have a lot of things to say ". So, with that in mind, I am going to place this thread as a sticky, waiting for him to respond.

I told him that he can remain anonymous if he felt more comfortable, but I left that up to him.

The one thing I did tell him is that our forum treats all members with respect. It takes a lot of courage for a coach to post on here and not be overly concerned of negative feedback. He is doing this for us!

I want to thank Coach for taking the time to address a personal view of what it is like to be a High School coach at a major 4A school.

Last edited: May 26, 2003
  2. mark mennitt

mark mennitt Junior Member

Braves I'm ready to talk, whenever you are ready.

3. Braves

Thanks Coach!

We are honored to have you aboard and look forward to whatever you have to say. Touch any subject you would like or speak about anything you care to discuss.

All of us at TBR are excited to read what you have to say. If you don't mind, I'm sure some of the people will have some questions for you after, so when you have time, answer what you can.

Thanks again Coach and start whenever you want to.

PS- We have many members across the State from Tuscola to Wilmington, so let me introduce the coach to you.

Mark Mennitt is the High School coach at a 4A school in Charlotte. He has a very successful program at Independence High School and has enjoyed many of his former players advance to the college level.

What makes Coach Mennitt unique is the very close relationship he has with his players and he is not one to shy from controversy. He speaks his mind and means what he says. I purposely asked Coach to respond to this thread because I know he will be frank and forthcoming and entertaining to our readers.

Coach Mennitt is one of a kind and if you ever get a chance to meet him, you will walk away smilin' and knowing what you were told is the truth.

Go ahead, Coach. Post anything you would like...these are your diaries.

4. Braves

Bump to the top of the page

5. fatman

fatman Full Access Member

Welcome Mark!

6. Original

Original Full Access Member

Great Idea Braves !

Coach Mennitt , thank you for sharing your upcoming opinions and knowledge. I look forward to your posts.

Other High School coaches.....would love to hear from you fellows too.

7. Original

Original Full Access Member

An area I am interested in from a coach's perspective :

TEAM

1. How do you develop & nurture the TEAM attitude?
    2. How do you know the TEAM chemistry is "on" or "off"
    3. How important do you think "heart" and "desire" are for a WINNING TEAM?
    4. After a defeat how do you encourage the TEAM?

There have been numerous posts through out the year about talent levels on specific teams combined with heart / desire or lack of. Just would like to hear the subject addressed from a coach' s perspective.

8. MsFishwrapper

MsFishwrapper Junior Member

Coach, as a parent, I am continually in a learning curve as we are going through baseball with a teenager for the first time. Having played against many school, AAU, legion and other teams, the one thing I will always remember I learned from Independence is the value of a hit. Your teams never seemed to need to wait for just the right pitch to get a hit. Your guys manufactured hits with whatever they were given. I specifically remember playing Indy once and coming away from the game saying to myself, wow, another lesson learned. Your guys hit low balls, high balls, inside balls, outside balls, not to mention anything close to being over the plate. We are no longer in the same conference, so we don't see your hitters as often, but thanks for a lesson well learned.

9. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

Hi coach, glad to have you on board. As a coach I know you "never" want to lose a single game. With this in mind, how do you attempt to get a team to peak at the right time.

10. Braves

I spoke with Coach Mennitt tonight on the phone. He aplogizes for not responding to the great questions you guys have posted, but he asked me to explain what happened.

Coach is in the process of moving and his computer is down. He tried to use a (dial up ) modem, but he was having a hard time trying to post his replies.

He asked if you guys would please be patient until he can unpack and set up his computer.

He really has a lot to discuss and is looking forward to responding to everyone.

I appreciate Coach taking the time to call and explain his circumstances and I assured him we are still patient and excited for his return.