1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Did ya'll see this from Utah youth baseball?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by EastOfRaleigh, Aug 12, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

2. teachem

teachem Junior Member

Simply a "gutless" decision by a Little League coach. It's just Little League, and you have to realize that the poor sick little boy should never have to be put in that situation. He should have told his pitcher to pitch to the best hitter and take his chances. I am a high school coach and not a Little League coach, and maybe that is why I think that too much importance is put on the winning/losing of Little League games. Just my opinion..

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You see some of the worst things happen at the LL level. The umpire said he was very upset about it, well, he could have taken control of this situation by squeezing the strike zone so tight, that the kid would have made an automatic walk...and please, don't lecture me about the integrity of the game, it's not like an umpire has ever squeezed a strike zone before :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  4. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

The fact that everybody bats tells you that this league has tried to take the emphasis away from winning and losing. The coach who won the game forgot this fact. The classy thing for him to do, if he didn't want to pitch to the best hitter, would have been to walk the next 2 batters. In my years of experience though I have found that the majority of rec ball coaches in the younger age groups take things way to seriously. The more that kids have fun at the younger ages, the more they will want to play when they are older.

5. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

6. blademan

blademan Full Access Member

He should have pitched to the stud. Not only would it have shown more integrity, it would have instilled confidence in his own pitcher. What kind of example is this setting for thses players futures? As a coach you have to coach and teach to the level/age of the players you are working with. At 9/10 making the game fun should be priority one, followed by correct fundamentals. Any kid who remains in baseball long enough will one day play for a win at all costs coach. 9/10 is way too early for that IMO.

blademan

7. baseballman123

baseballman123 Full Access Member

Wow

I have one word for that situation... SAD. That was a horrible thing for the coach to do. It is little league, I mean come on, the kids are out there to have a good time, not to win. I always thought little league was where the coaches always said "everybody is a winner." Obviously that coach did not want that to be the case. Just a very sad thing for that coach to do, grown men should know better.

8. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

I'll bet this Farley Dude endorses brush back pitches in T Ball too. What a chump...

If he is half a man, he ought to own up to the mistake & ask forgiveness. I'd have a little respect for him then.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'm sure his answer to that is, "Well...if you crowd the plate..."

Some of my worst experiences involved LL coaches. I wish there were more volunteer coaches without sons on the team.

I have this one coach burned in my memory forever. This dude would come to practice and games all decked out in his coaching shorts, Oakley's and wearing batting gloves. He seem to come straight from watching a "baseball instructional video" and "Vince Lombardi's school of coaching book" and treat these young kids like they were boot camp soldiers.

One day, I pulled him to the side and pleaded for him to stop coaching before he pushes a bunch of young kids away from playing baseball...needless to say, he didn't listen and his son quit baseball at 14.

I see this guy every now and then at a HS game and he still looks like a fool and parts advice to parents about their kids.....sometimes I wish there was a law that would allow a mercy beating to keep this guy away from any baseball field.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  10. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

My wife threw away all my coaches shorts years ago. I sure do miss those things, they were comfortable. I know, my age is showing. I still got my Oakleys though.