1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Did ya'll see this from Utah youth baseball?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by EastOfRaleigh, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

tj- I believe their league was designed for "playing the game" instead of the importance of winning. I assume because of their rules, they are tailored to teaching the game andving fun morseso the competitive part of competition.

This was a not a sanctioned LL type game

2. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

TJ....good post, a lot of truth in your post...

3. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Braves,,,, I hear ya,,, and I'm with ya brutha,,, it would be nice to have a baseball league somewhere that it was JUST ABOUT PLAYING and wasn't competitive until kids reach a certain age.

Unfortunately, my point is when they used the term "championship game",,, at that point, all bets were off,,,,, folks were trying to win, period.

I guarantee anyone can go down to your local 5 year old YMCA T-ball league where everyone bats and there is no scoreboard,,, but I promise you will find the best hitters hitting first, the worst hitter hitting last, and every momma and daddy in the stands will know the score. Sad, but true. We're all about winning too much, and stories like this should help us all look ourselves in the mirror, especially the next time any of us are around a little league game.

4. Braves

Of course..as always...you are right tj. Park Sharon has a cool t-ball league. They don't keep up with scores. The inning is over when the last person bats and the kids always leave thinking they won..and when is the pizza coming.

I had they opposite experience in T-Ball. I remember the coach yelling at a kid that overthrew the 1stB. " Dammit _____, throw the ball to him". I told my son, " Season is over, bud. I hope you enjoyed it". Actually he ended up on another team.

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

No I'm not always right,,,, wish I was. Sorry if I come across that way. Just thought there was more blame to go around than everyone piling all the blame on this particular opposing coach in this specific situation.

6. Braves

no...i was agreeing with you...i'll bring some fish back...cya

7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Heck, I explained it to my wife who is the most liberal person I know and ALWAYS takes the side of the underdog. Couldn't believe it but she said she would have walked the slugger too. Interestingly, she said that the kid's parents wanted him treated the same until it was advantageous to be treated differently. It was the nonbaseball people that got upset. They did not realize that the slugger would have been walked if ANY other player on the team had been on deck.

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

BaseBallMan,,, thats my point, when I presented others with the same scenario, I was actually shocked to find the first 3 people I asked would do the same thing in walking sluggerboy. I was already firmly planted on the bandwagon of bashing the opposing coach,,,, and then it dawned on me, that our society points to finishing 1st so much,,, and even this league that "supposedly" emphasizes equal participation still found it necessary to have a so-called "championship game".

Btw, I agree with your wife, theres simply too much else to this story besides bashing the opposing coach.

Braves,,,, have fun :fishing: :xyzthumbs

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  9. CunningRunt

CunningRunt Full Access Member

And if this happened, and it was a normal kid on deck, we would not be reading about this or discussing it. The parents and media made it a deal to benefit themselves. Everybody is jumping on this and making it an issue to fit some sort of discrimination agenda, which is not what it's about. It's about baseball strategy and the emphasis we place on winning in our society.

10. gatorfan

gatorfan Member

A coach told my son's team before a big game, "Somebody's going to make the last out and it's going to hurt, but remember we had 20 other chances. That last out is only one of them." It really helped the kids.