1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dirty play

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Sb Player, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sb Player

Sb Player Junior Member

If the girl slid into home as you say Why did she get call out and thrown out of the game? Sliding into home with contact with the catcher does not result into getting thrown out.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. CCBaseball 11

CCBaseball 11 Junior Member

First of all I hope the player is going to be ok. I am a coach that started helping with the heartbreakers 2 wks ago and what is being said is not actually correct. The player was removed from the field as instructed and when we were told she had to leave the complex (still don't understand this one) we complied with that . I sincerely wish this play had never happened due to the young lady getting hurt and our ladies having to deal with the accusations toward them. This is bad for both the Heartbeakers and the Piedmont Braves. I think they are from the Statesville area. When the parents started yelling at each other I moved all of ours to the bleachers behind our dugout. I personally tried to stay level headed and put the coaches and parents from our team off the field quickly. We even tried to keep ours away from them until they had left the area. Is either side completely innocent in this situation? The answer is no and hopefully the adults can act the way we want our children to. The Heartbreakers had 4 teams last year 1-10u, 2-14u, and 1-16u. Our group had no altercation with anyone and do know of any from the other teams either.

This will be my only post on this matter and hopefully everyone who reads this will remember that there are 3 sides to everythig. Theirs, our, and what actually happened. This is due to the bias we all have. Anyone who wishes to watch us play or practice is welcome to, and you don't need to let us know you are there.

Like I said before this is my only post due to not wanting to get int a back and forth which just make everyone look childish, but if you ask I will post our practice schedule and we are supposed to play again this weekend in Concord.

Thanks for Taking the time to read this and supporting ALL the young ladies who play ball.

David Corzine

3. PhoenixPhan

PhoenixPhan Full Access Member

General comment

Catching is a highly specialized, dangerous position to play and is often under coached. There will always be plays at the plate in softball which involve some form of either legal or illegal contact. Because of this, we as coaches and parents need to always make sure that we teach our catchers proper technique for plays at the plate and to make sure they are in high quality, proper fitting protective gear in our to minimize their chances of getting injured, whether it be on a legal or illegal play. If you as a parent or coach don't have a thorough background regarding how to teach catchers the proper foot, hand, head, and body positioning for plays at the plate, blocking, etc., then please consult someone who does so that the risk of injury to your catcher is minimized. We can't control what the other coach/parent is teaching his/her players, but let's make sure we are preparing ours as best we can for whatever situation they might face.

4. swingaway

swingaway Full Access Member

We had this happen last year at a 12U NSA tournament as well. The Tournament Director was sitting 10 feet away directly behind home plate and right beside me when the play occurred. He saw the entire play - very clearly. Player running home lowered her shoulder and took out the catcher - resulting in a bloody nose and loose teeth for the catcher.

The Catcher held onto the ball and the runner was called out. Opposing coach had enough audacity to appeal the play, claiming the catcher never tagged the runner, despite his player landing directly on top of the catcher and the mitt.

The umpires did not warn or eject the player. NSA Tournament Director said, "NSA plays big girl softball - perfectly legal play." He nor the ump were aware it was illegal in High School ball as well as NSA.

I later sent him a copy of the rule as defined in the High School rule book.

"NSA plays Big Girl Softball" - I'll never forget that one.

5. CatchersDad

CatchersDad Senior Member

Simple

Take the throw in front of the plate and stay out of the base line unless you want to get knocked on your behind! Parents, understand the game!!
    Dad

6. erms

erms Full Access Member

Pearls from one who knows.....well stated

7. CCBaseball 11

CCBaseball 11 Junior Member

Just so everyone knows the post by catchers dad is not a parent or coach of the Heartbreakers.
    Thanks and please read the poem below and think about it
    David Corzine

Play Catch With Me Dad

"Play catch with me-Dad?"
    I hope you don't forget-
    About the small kid at home
    With the baseball and the mitt.

I know that you've been busy
    With important things all day-
    But it makes me feel so special
    When you take some time to play

Learning how to throw and catch
    Don't mean that much to me.
    It's just being with you
    That makes us family.
    So even if you are feeling tired
    From the day that you just had-
    Please don't forget
    To play catch with me-Dad.

8. loveforsoftball2

loveforsoftball2 Junior Member

Wow, it is very sad that this is what some are choosing to teach their daughters. Where is the respect for the game and further more where is the desire to teach these girls how to be good productive members of society as well as good softball players who respect the sport. Purposely taking out a catcher is simply not acceptable in any league including college leagues. Those who choose to parent/coach like this have no regard for rules or for being good stand up individuals so I guess they will never understand. It's a real shame that this is what teenage girls are being taught to look up to. What a shame!!

9. CoachTammy

CoachTammy Full Access Member

I do have to add here, sometimes girls are beginners at this level, I have a couple that are very new to the game and they have not learned that sliding at the plate is a must, but we teach them that. Sometimes it is the inexperience of the runner and no blame on anyone, you do have to remember these are girls at a very emotional peak in their life between the ages of 12 and 14, and a lot more going on than just softball, and 9 times out of 10 where there is a collision involved it is due to inexperience, that I have witnessed on both sides. I have seen probably 3 or 4 teams over my 8 years of coaching that was just dirty ball, and I would go to the director and tell them I do not want to play this team in pool games and starting out, unless we have to, and they are usually pretty easy to work with and will watch teams if they are known to play dirty. I have seen a team banned before for this. The directors are here for the safety of the girls, and I have to say Top Gun (formerly AAU) is definetly in it for the girls, and does not condone dirty ball. It is very unfortunate when anyone gets hurt, but it is part of the game. Laying blame on a girl when it was not intentional does no one any good, it hurts the girl and makes the blamer look like a fool. I would also like to leave you with a poem that everyone should hold true to:

SHE STANDS ALONE
    She stands alone with her heart beating fast
    The bases are loaded, the inning is last,
    Mom and Dad can not help her, She Stands Alone,
    A hit at this moment would send her team home,
    The ball is hit right to her, an unfortunate miss,
    There's a groan from the crowd, with some boo's and a hiss,
    A thoughtless voice cries "She's not that Good"
    Tears fill her eyes, as she walks off in shame,
    So, Don't make this mistake For later in life an impression you will make,
    So, before you lay blameJust remember, she is a GIRLand it is only a game!!

10. PhoenixPhan

PhoenixPhan Full Access Member

AMEN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.