1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Youth Baseball...I never knew

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Aug 4, 2007.

1. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

I have worked closely with Cary Wrenn when our town started DYB and he was the state director in NC. Really good guy and tireless worker. That said, I am uncomfortable with the name change. I LOVE the name and think it speaks to the main characteristic of the league. It is made up of southern teams and that part of the world is known as Dixie. This smacks of Liberal Doogooderism to me. Their are countless black kids playing DYB today and thats all that matters. I am all for making sure that DYB is all inclusive but I just can't see how changing the name accomplishes anything.

2. Caroliner

Caroliner Full Access Member

Agree! I don't see how the word "Dixie" can honestly offend anyone. Soon we will be known as the Lower United States instead of the South??

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Don't give them any ideas.....some people may like that name

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Actually, based on the future goals of the league, I would change the name. But not for reasons of "racisim". Although, it's silly not to suggest that was the reason the league started.

From what I read, Dixie youth wants to aggressively expand beyond the southern borders. They feel they can compete, nationally, with the LL organizations. For them to accomplish that, they should change their name from a regionally based one.