1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Early Impact Players

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by MirrorImage7, Feb 7, 2006.

1. WNCBB

WNCBB Full Access Member

Roberson will be missing two outstanding seniors....2B Mitch Hefner and IF/OF Cameron Underwood. Mitch is a three year starter and an All-Conference and All-WNC performer. He'll be out until mid-March. Cameron is an outstanding athlete and has been the quarterback on TCR's football team the past three years. He is recovering from surgery to remove a brain tumor and will miss the entire season. Thankfully, he is expected to recover fully and should be able to graduate on schedule in June.

2. inthegame107

inthegame107 Junior Member

LC Lefty

LC- I actually got the chance to visit a recent Piedmont practice and I must say, they are really pulling it together. With only 5 senoirs this year, and a lot of young talent they are putting themselves above all expectations. They have a lot of pop in their bats, with more than 7 guys placing balls out of the park. Alot of the Piedmont boys are heavy in the weight room now, and it's obvious to say the least. I got the chance to watch Timmy King and Rob Lyerly throw bullpen and they look great. I would say that Timmy King is definitely "ready to go" His velocity is increasing perfectly (from taking those long months off from throwing- as I've been told.) To me, his offspeed pitches are absolutely dominate as well, with much improvement from last year. Rob Lyerly is throwing the ball with an obvious increase in velocity as well due to maturity and weight training. So it's great news to know that it's not going to be just Timmy and Rob swinging the pole this year- the whole team can! I look forward to an exciting season for Piedmont Baseball!
    :woot:

3. blademan

blademan Full Access Member

Which day did you go Morg? Sent you a PM as well.

4. inthegame107

inthegame107 Junior Member

I'd like to mention Jared Mode as well- he has really swung the pole! On the first day back on field he hit 4 homeruns..out of 5 pitches! He's a strong/tough kid who's gonna contribute this year for the Panthers.

5. blademan

My mistake inthegame. I saw LClefty at the top of the post and thought it was Morg. Sorry. I went to the Piedmont practice tonight myself for the first time. Had to bring some more rubber matting for the dugouts. Thought they looked good for early season, and thought they looked like they may have a little more speed this year. BTW, Jared is my son. He went on a tear over the fall with the stick. I can only hope it carries into the coming season.

6. blademan

I think Northwest Cabarrus will be strong again this year. A lot of returning players from a team that played for the 3A State Championship last year. Leadoff hitter/left fielder Brett Honeycutt (unsigned) will be a force, as well as the Faggart twins, who both signed with App. St. They'll also have Nick back on the hill as well as Seagar (UNC) at short. It's the team that knocked us (Piedmont) out in the second round of the playoffs last year.

7. Big Byrd

Big Byrd Member

Opening Day Showcase

One of the best opening day games in the state may be the Person High vs. South Granville matchup slated for Tuesday February 28 at 5pm at South Granvilles field in Creedmoor, NC. The two teams split the series last year but both were hard fought well played games. South Granville made it to the 2A championship game last year and returns a roster heavy laden with sophmores and juniors that played major roles in that success last year. Two sophmores that are definate impact players and future D1 prospects are catcher Jeff May and 3B/P Pratt Maynard. SG is always well coached and always displays outstanding sportsmanship and professionalism. Person is coming off a season where we went to the second round of the 4A playoffs. Person lost several seniors to graduation off of that team but return two standout seniors who should emerge as the team leaders. Robbie Byrd (6'4" & 220lbs.) IF/OF/P and Jerrod Moore (5'10" & 185lbs.) P/MIF. Both of these players swing the bat well. If some of the replacement players step up Person should have another outstanding year in what is believed to be a very competative and expanded PAC VI Conference.

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Blademan, if your referring to Northwest Cabarrus' Nick "on the hill" as in Nick Daniels,,,, then no they don't have him back, he graduated and is currently playing at Pfeiffer. But you're right about NW everywhere else. They may have lost their top 2 pitchers, but they have everyone else returning from their state-runnerup lineup.

9. blademan

My mistake, thought Nick was a junior last year. Thanks.

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I agree...this will be a great game!!! I wish I could see it