1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Early Signing v Late Signing

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by cbsconsult, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cbsconsult

cbsconsult Full Access Member

At our small D1, we wait until the Spring/Summer to sign our players. We typically get the players who really want to be a part of our program. Thus far, getting the students admitted has not been a problem. However, we do encourage any player in whom we are interested (as well as those who may be interested in us) to go ahead and apply. Being admitted to the University certainly gives a player an advantage over te ones yet to be admitted. Further, it shows us that the player WANTS to be a part of our University - baseball aside. IF baseball is the only reason a player wants to be in college, odds are great that he MAY not take the academics as seriously as he should. It is reasonably easy to gain admittance to our University BUT once enrolled, students find the academics to be extremely challenging. Too often, folks mistakenly assume that high admissions standards equate to a better education. In reality, a lot of schools have high admissions standards to keep the number of students at a manageable level.

As always, excellent high school grades will ensure the most collegiate options.

Finally, the new D1 roster limits will cause a lot of the "major" programs to continually "shop for a better player". I advise all recruits to make sure you want to be at the school before signing an NLI. The NLI is good for one year and there are no guarantees beyond that. The player should look at the school's past recruiting/signing habits to get an idea of how committed a program may be to its players.

2. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

I totally agree with this. Look no further than the annual exodus of former HS studs from schools like UNC. Every all-stater wants to think they can be a star at Carolina. But the math says only eight can start with maybe four starting pitchers. So each year great players decide they outkicked their coverage and transfer. It would seem to me that careful consideration by some of these guys coming our of HS for the D1 schools that are not "Top 10" programs might be wise. Changing schools is difficult socially, academically, and athletically. These guys could have been impact players from day one on many college campuses if they hadn't aimed quite so high.

3. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

If you dont aim high you have no idea how far you can go.

4. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Helpful info CBS. Thanks a bunch.

5. BaseballMan

If we can agree that if a player can play, the next level will find you, then how is it aiming any lower to go to a school that you would play at from day one? I could make an argument that getting on the field is more important than who you are playing for. I would much rather have the right fit that allowed me to play than to just say I went to a "name" program and ship out after two seasons. Of course, no one thinks they aren't going to play but the staff at the top programs certainly aren't going to stop recruiting your position once you get there.

6. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

I dont disagree with most of your comments, but no school will stop recruiting the position you play no matter what the level. My only point is that if an 18yr old makes an informed decision to attend one of the big schools you mention to chase a dream of playing for them in, for example, the College World Series why would anyone want to disuade them from doing so. If you're not willing to take that risk at 18 when will you ever take one.

7. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Some good, thoughtful posts here. Here's an equally honest reaction:

First and foremost, the best recruiting advice ever given us...hands down...was to make certain that we chose a school where my son would be happy if he were to suddenly discover that he would no longer play baseball; whether through choice or mandate (i.e. injury). Fortunately, the advice came directly from a highly regarded, DI head coach early in my son's high school years; so, it stuck with him.

Second, if you're inclined to choose a "Top 10" program...one with realistic aspirations of playing in the College World Series...try to make sure that you go there with strong intentions of playing professional baseball. The possible exception here would be the strong player who is content to be a role player; there primarily because that's where he wants to receive his college education.

At that level, you can pretty well be assured that 95% of the players hold professional baseball as their number one goal immediately following college; whether after the red-shirt sophomore, junior, or senior years. This is not to assert that every one of them will do so; but, that will be their goal.

However, if you fit the first two criteria, why not go for it? After all, you've chosen a place where you believe you can be happy without baseball; and, you want more than anything to play baseball professionally after college. Consider this: If you're serious about that aspiration, why not take on the best competition for playing time you can while getting an education? At the very worst, you'll discover that your ambition may be unrealistic; but, in many cases, you'll be taking another significant step toward the fulfillment of a dream.

This is also not to suggest that a player dead set upon playing professionally after college should necessarily choose a "Top 10" program. There's no question that many players are drafted each year from programs at all levels, and there are many disparate and worthy considerations that could lead a player to another level.

Best of luck to those of you who face these choices!

8. BaseballMan

The point of my post wasn't to say anyone made a mistake but to make HS kid aware that it doesn't always work out. I'll share my son's story as an example.
    He is currently a junior pitcher at Davidson College. The summer and fall before his senior HS season, he played on one of the top showcase teams in NC. The two highest profile pitchers on that team were Sam Brown and BJ Dail, both HARD throwers. The team played in front of Elliot Avent and Mike Fox a number of times. My son was arguably the most effective pitcher on that team. Yet weekend after weekend, the State and Carolina coaches fawned on the Brown's and the Dail's while collectively ignoring my son.
    My son falls into the "crafty lefty" category and at the time topped out at about 80 MPH. I will be honest and admit that I was incredibly hurt by his being shunned by the top programs. My feeling was that he couldn't be bigger or more athletic than he was but was getting the best hitters in the state out consistently in front of the top coaches. By the end of the recruiting period I was a wreck. We all want what's best for our kids and I felt mine was being disrespected.
    Eventually, he had to decide between Davidson, Asheville, and a roster spot at South Carolina (he had won about a 50% academic ride to USC). He ended up chosing Davidson and the fit has been perfect. The education is unparallled and the baseball fit has been great. They needed effective pitchers that could get accepted. He won a weekend starting spot his freshman year.
    I have come full circle about my feelings about Fox and Avent. I had been very angry with the system, but now realize that they actually did us a favor. Funny how things work out.

9. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Very glad to hear that things are going well for your son, BaseballMan; although, I'm not surprized. He's as fine a student as he is a pitcher.

I've always felt that the "Davidson's" of college baseball (and, there aren't many of them) provide virtually the perfect combination of academic environment and opportunity to play Division I baseball. However, they require a mature approach to the classroom that's not always present in the Dvision I clubhouse.

All the best to you and your son.

10. TBA

TBA Full Access Member

Maybe Not