1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Early Signing v Late Signing

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by cbsconsult, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

No truer words are spoken

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. BackwardsK

BackwardsK Junior Member

Just a thought

I understand completely the desire to have your son/player play at a school that you hear about on TV, and read about in the news paper daily (ACC, SEC) but what recruits really need to look at, on the baseball side of things, is a place that is going to make them a better player. Like it was said in an earlier post, a scout is not going to see a bench warmer, but also how much are you going to fall behind after sitting on the bench for an entire season, or possibly two, before playing competetivly again. A lot of players loose that arrogance they once had as HS seniors, and a lot of self doubt creeps in. I've witnessed it many times throughout my playing/coaching career. There is a reason it seems like every time a senior graduates from a top college program, they are almost always replaced by a freshman or sophmore, and this is in any sport, they still have that swagger. Playing college baseball is tough, even as a full time player, your ego gets stepped on quite a bit b/c of the jump in the level of competition. Now for guys that don't play, add in the self doubt, and everyone from back home asking why they don't play more, it is rough, and takes a commited, self confident individual to get through it. So, after all of this random stream of thought, I ask that parents and coaches help these young men make the right choice, not the choice that allows you as a parent or you as a coach say "yea I sent my kid to (Insert big school) University" look out for the kid. Parents you know your son best, coaches you are the person they know the best with the most knowledge of college baseball, and have contacts. I worked for a coach that always said "This is the biggest decision you will be making up to this point in your life, and will be the biggest decision in your life, other than who you are going to marry" THIS BOARD DOES ROCK

3. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

The new transfer rules and the continued limited scholarships (both team total and primarily less than 50% individually) make these decisions even more critical... and stressful! A wrong choice will cost a player at least two years of playing time, if they choose to move on to another DI school.
    The good thing is that, when it comes to the scouts for pro ball, these guys know all the backroads and hog paths to any place that might hold a talented player. That's their job! They don't have the budget restrictions or ruling body like college ball does with the NCAA to hamper them. If there's "an arm behind the barn", they are expected to, and will, find it.
    I believe a kid should go where they can play right away. But, they must always know that they must keep working and improving to keep playing. The moment a player thinks he's good enough, someone who is working harder will pass him by.

4. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Don't sign early if you aren't sure. Do your school work first.... You have to be a college student before you are a college athlete.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. rccbaseball

rccbaseball Member

Let me Plug Junior College again. when a kid is not sure that a 4 year is Perfect fit a junior college offers a chance to upgrade their stock.

6. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Yes, definitely. You've got two years to realize your baseball potential.... Whether you are DI, DII, DIII, or retired.

The two years playing at a JUCO in most cases beats the heck out of riding the pine at a 4-year school for the first couple years.

7. baseballfan46

baseballfan46 Member

Take my word for it, playing at a top named school is not always what it is cracked up to be. Sometimes it looks more glamorous than it really is. Sounds like your son found the right fit for him. And I agree if you are good, the scouts will find you no matter where you play.