1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

East Lincoln, Triton, and First Flight Coaching Openings

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Coach17, May 23, 2008.

1. BringIt2WinIt

BringIt2WinIt It's all for the girls!!!

Well skip the Cape Fear Valley reference LOL

The Cape Fear Valley 3A Conference has been scattered by the new realignment. Triton will now be playing in the conference that includes Aycock.

2. softball red

softball red Junior Member

openings

Does anyone know why the Triton position is open?

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

welcome softball red to this board rocks softball forum......wish i could answer your question, but i cant.....

4. fastpitchndad

fastpitchndad Full Access Member

Triton

This is strictly 2nd hand information, unverified. I was told Friday night while watching Triton at Walnut Creek. Jimmy Gaines (head coach) wife Wendy is going to Coach Southern Lee volleyball, she is an excellent volleyball coach. Jimmy has a business in Sanford, so they are going to relocate closer to Sanford and Southern Lee.

5. BringIt2WinIt

BringIt2WinIt It's all for the girls!!!

Here is the answer behind the open Triton Position

From the Dunn Daily Record:

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Arthritis Forces Gaines' Reluctant Retirement[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Patrick Love[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Sports Editor[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Times New Roman, Times, Serif]Even as his program reached new heights in 2008, arthritis in his legs has forced Jimmy Gaines to retire as Triton's head varsity and JV softball coach.

"It's not that you want to go out, but my body is whipped" he said. "I can't walk or bend over, and it's been a terrible hassle."

Gaines, 63, never posted a losing record in eight seasons at Triton and led the Hawks to one conference championship, four state playoff appearances and a trip to the state semifinals in a 2008 season that was by far his best.

The Hawks posted a 23-7 overall record this past season and went 12-2 in league games to win the regular season championship in the Cape Fear Valley Conference.

They were runners-up in the conference tournament and won five games in the state playoffs to advance to the state semifinals for the first time in school history, claiming a third-place finish in the state among Class 3-A schools.

But as the season wore along, Gaines didn't seem himself. His signature energy and enthusiasm on the field was not the same, and he'd sometimes let his assistant coach third base.

"I still have the enthusiasm, but my body won't let me do the things I want to do, and it sets the limits," he said.

Gaines said he's been battling arthritis for two years, which is why he sold his business, G Graph X in Sanford, in December of 2006.

In addition to his tenure at Triton, Gaines has spent a lifetime in recreation sports. He has served as recreation director in Dunn, Sanford and North Wilkesboro and currently serves as commissioner of the Tar Heel Baseball League.

He plans to continue working with the Tar Heel League. As for Triton's softball program, he says he is confident it will continue to take steps forward, albeit without him.

"We've all worked hard toward our goal of being winners, and today, the Triton softball program is something to be recognized," he said.

"I've enjoyed being a part of it, not for personal gain or to look good," he continued. "I've been watching the Women's College World Series, and there's a good chance that some of our girls could be there some day. When you look at someone like Amanda Miller (2007 Triton graduate) and what she did this season playing for Campbell, she's a recognized athlete, and that she shared a part of her life with me is really special."

Triton's new softball coach has yet to be announced. Athletic director Chip Mangum says he expects to make an announcement within the next two weeks.
    [/FONT]