1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

East Meck "Miracle on Monroe"

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Apr 24, 2004.

1. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

GREAT.......

all around story period! Miracles and the good times past present and future it is what makes us all want to continue to live, right? Good job "B" and East! :applause: :applause:

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Epilogue:

This story was very difficult to write. I am also a father of a son playing baseball and to imagine the emotions the Bryant family felt that night is beyond comprehension, yet hit so close to home. I have received much feedback from a lot of people about the East Meck Miracle...from the players participating to parents attending and the one thing that strikes me the most is this. That Friday night, there were no rivals. Supporters from Providence to Myers Park...Butler to South Meck...Olympic to Waddell, all understood the impact of this game. It was not about conference wins...not about rivalries...not even about baseball. It was an event. As Sugarjet mentioned, it was a life lesson.

I sat with Alex Martin, Kevin Dietrich and Ben Buchanan at a table the next day discussing the game with them. Although Alex and Kevin were certainly disappointed in the loss, they seemed to understand that this game was predestined. They were proud participants....and to me, that goes beyond sports.

We hear, too often, about the negative things revolving sports that I thought it was important to post this story. This goes so far beyond a typical HS baseball game, yet the emotions displayed by parents and the players are something experienced at every HS game and to me, this makes HS baseball the greatest game to attend. So, the next time you are driving down Monroe Rd. and you pass the East Meck field, look for a twinkling light...that's Ed reminding you what HS baseball is all about.

PS- I'll keep this thread up one more day and then I'll take it down. I appreciate all those that have responded with your thoughtful posts.

3. BB9er

BB9er Full Access Member

Braves,
    Please consider sending this to IHIGH for posting on their site.
    It is a wonderful story that should be shared with all!

http://www.ihigh.com

Last edited: Apr 28, 2004
  4. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

man o man

Braves
    GREAT writing.
    I felt like I was there.
    and wish I had been.
    Can you say "Charlotte Observer" I think they need a good man for the preps pages.
    Ray :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :xyzthumbs

5. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

Heard about this game tonight from one of the coaches. We should transfer a copy of this thread over to 'Religion'.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

math, if you think it would serve a purpose than please..you do the honor.

7. mathmajors

mathmajors Roll Wave

I'm afraid it would only serve as fodder for some folks over there. Besides, it retains it's purity over here.:)

8. LarryD

LarryD autodidact polymath

i was thinking hall of fame. :)

9. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

Braves thanks for the kind words. but I am the asistant JV coach, one of four coaches that run the Butler program.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  10. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

I don't know personally about all of you guys, but it is times like these that makes me sure of why I do this!!