1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Everyone's Favorite Topic (The NCAA)

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, May 18, 2004.

1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

What is all this about "Incentives/Disincentives"????

Excerpts taken from NCAA Division 1 framework relating to incentives/disincentives program

What is the “disincentives” part of the equation????
    What is the Incentives Part of the equation?????

In reality: Since the incentives are designed to not increase the “financial pressure” on the institution, don’t expect them to be in terms of additional scholarship slots for a sport. In reality, they will be patted on the back and left alone. Awarding additional scholarship spots based on that performance may place the program out of compliance with Title IX.

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is the same institution that screams about "Student-Athletes", yet each year prostitute these student-athletes before TV revenues. Once they accept the fact that "Big Time" sport colleges are a business and treated as such, than their hippocritical stances and rules on Student Athletes would be better accepted.

To place a higher burden of academic excellence on athletes over the entire student population is ridiculous, unfair and should be unconstitutional. The NCAA's climbed into bed with the TV people and try to wipe their dirty hands with rules the US Supreme Court Justices couldn't understand.

Just answer this one of hundreds of questions for me?

How is a student better served by being forced to play a basketball game that starts at 10:00 pm...ends nearly at 1:00 am and the student has an 8:00 am class the next morning. Is this for the betterment of the Student?...or is it for the betterment of the coffers and job security of the college presidents?

I could go on with a jillion questions about the integrity of the NCAA's....They are...well, nevermind.....and when I hear the response from a well-meaning alumnus that the players are "getting a free education"...it makes me want to puke!

DON"T GET ME STARTED!!!!!!!

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

...and Pops..as we discussed earlier...these rules do not effect Football and Basketball scholarships...the money producing sports

4. NCBBallFan

I knew I could count on you Braves !!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, your arguments have merit. I have an entirely different take on the topic other than the income that is generated by the Student-Athlete for the College/University.

If you take a case where a student athlete is attending a College/University which offers partial Academic Scholarships at a GPA of 3.25 and an SAT of 1150 to the general student body and have to deny the same scholarship to a student-athlete because it would have to be counted against the number of Athletic slots, is that a form of discrimination against athletes?

Due to the nature of the suspected discrimination as stated above, will this requirement "raise the bar" for ALL scholarships and make a general education for the average student more expensive and difficult to obtain?

Believe it or not, the rules are intended to apply for Football and Basketball also, but they won't have much intended impact. Where the average sports team can have approximately 33% of it's participants on an full athletic scholarship, basketball may have 75% of theirs. Due to that fact, and the fact that scholarships are, generally, split up, most basketball players will still be on at least a 90% ride and won't require academic money, so blending isn't an issue.

Football will still receive it's allotted 85 scholy's, and football has the highest percentage of walk-on, non-scholarship athletes so they won't be impacted a drop either by the rules on blending.

The regular male and female athletes in all other sports will suffer an impact.

5. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Bottom line!

grades count!!!!!! The better the student in the athlete the better their chances of getting MONEy period! Gotta stress it at this level and preach and folow up monitor etc ... and lay down the law/expectations! If they don t get it done and realizeee the importance of it NOW, the many if not more times WILL NOT at the next level! Students get the job done NOT only in class but also on the ball field thoise who aren t will fail you in the long run! As you saud Coach Evans we KNEWWWW all of this long ago, and couldn thave said it any better! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Yeah right) :laugh1: :laugh1:

6. NCBBallFan

I want everyone to revisit this thread and the topic ... read it all and refresh yourself and get ready for the implementation.

Don't continue with this post until you've caught up with what's going on.

Jeff Spelman over at Team One has a great quote that I'm going to borrow. I can't review his article (since I am not a subscriber), but the guts of it are already in this thread from last spring.
    Lets talk about those two items. We mentioned both of them back in the spring, but they need to be brought into focus.

APR (Academic Progress Rate): will be calculated by the NCAA and include all scholarship student-athletes entering an institution. We see this as the 20/40/60+ rule. It's designed so that Athletes are progressing towards a degree with a 5 year plan towards graduation. You must have completed X times 20 percent of your progress towards a degree where X equals the number of years you have been in college. Since, under NCAA regulations, you can only be measured towards a specific degree, you must declare a major and be working towards that specific goal. If you decide to change majors, you could be caught in the situation where you suddenly become academically ineligible. As opposed to a Summer Collegiate Baseball program, you may be involved instead in a summer collegiate academic program striving to regain your eligibility if you do change majors.

GSR (Graduation Success Rate): Where the APR measures the individual, the GSR measure the success of the institution. It is based on a six-year timeframe for graduation and including all scholarship student-athletes entering the institution. If the percentage of athletes that enter the institution (and program of that institution) and don't graduate within 6 years exceeds standards established by the NCAA, then penalties may be imposed.

Who does this affect? Obviously, it effects everyone. The person who is most at risk is the marginal student. If a program is "borderline" in meeting the objectives placed on it by the NCAA, it may have difficulty recruiting a borderline student that it would have recruited in the past. It won't affect the "stars" much. The colleges and universities (at least the big name programs) will still recruit the stud that has bad grades, but they will start passing on the very good player but marginal student. That kind of student-player will get pushed down to lower levels and his place taken by more academically gifted players.

Ohio State may end up being the "banner child" of the new regulations. So many irregularities have come out about their football program and money under the table, but the really serious charge that has been leveled at them is academic fraud. Some football players have attempted to transfer away from Ohio State and have had a lot of their academic courses rejected as not being college courses. One course that the football players could take there was "The Philosophy of Football" which basically taught the Ohio State playbook for academic credit..... d'oh. This can lead to loss of academic accreditation for two years or more, which would mean that they couldn't even grant degrees.

One of the NC institutions of higher education (Barber-Scotia) has recently gone through this and are striving (with great results so far) at getting their accreditation back. The Juniors and Seniors at the college were placed out at other colleges while the institution worked on regaining accreditation. Barber-Scotia did play sports, but I'm not sure any of the teams survived the contraction.

As the plan is being phased in and baseline data is being collected, it will affect the current crop of high school seniors, but not until a bit later into their college careers. The current crop of HS sophomores will be hit pretty much right in the face with this one. What do you do about it????

There is only one answer. You MUST GET YOUR ACADEMIC HOUSE IN ORDER.

Next: Warm-Weather States versus Cold-Weather States and the NCAA.

7. observer

observer Full Access Member

A very wise parent once said to me "I am not raising a point guard or a shortstop - I'm raising a young man." Excellent perspective we can all use.

8. NCBBallFan

Warm-Weather States versus Cold-Weather States...

...and the NCAA

The NCAA is considering establishing a uniform season beginning date for baseball. One of the effects is that it could push the college world series into July and it could also have an effect on some of the summer wood bat leagues.

Many of the northern baseball teams have complained about the unfair advantage the southern teams have in starting their schedule early. Under the proposal, college baseball teams would have specific dates for the first allowable practice and games. The change in scheduling would push the College World Series into July some years (not all).

This is a recommendation from the Division I Baseball Issues Committee, designed to address competitive equality questions. Many southern-tier teams are practicing and begin their seasons the first week of February with some games occasionally even pushed back into January. Teams in areas including the Northeast can't even practice outside at that time because of extreme cold. What the Northern teams are missing is the fact that pushing the schedule back will eliminate the Winter/Spring trips for them down to the southern states. Gone would be the days when Syracuse could fly down and play Miami in late february, getting a head start on their season.

The committee is proposing Feb. 1 as the first practice date, with games to start around March 1, without changing the maximum 56 games allowed. This would also increase the number of games per week, creating an academic burden on all players solely for the benefit of the Northern Schools.

This won't be voted on until next January and the earliest it could be implemented would be the 2007 season.

Since no one is loosing any games, you are talking about compressing a 56 game schedule into 12 weeks instead of the current 16. Instead of scheduling 3.5 games/week, you would be scheduling 4.67. Since you know that two games are already played on Saturday/Sunday, you are now competing directly with scheduled classes instead of 1.5 times/week, 2 2/3 times/week. That's a pretty big hit. This was discussed over on the "Next Level" forum.

9. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

2 cents...

Regardless of the NCAA and individual institutions and a college grad and a player on scholarshipn as well as a coach and teacher of 15 years I am convinced no way in h*** there are hundreds if not 1000's of college student athletes WHO are NOT making the GRADE nor even qualified but somehow they are there and THEY are playing! Let s be honest and frank someone somewhere just ain't followin the rules, period!!!!!!!!!! IMHO :scared2: :scared2: :scared2: :thinking: :thinking: :huh: :huh: :xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs

10. NCBBallFan

APR and How it's going to be implemented.

This press release breaks down the implementation plan for the immediate future and historical penalties that may be imposed upon the facilities themselves. The impact on player eligibility is written as if it's to be placed into effect immediately. Historical penalties will begin next year (2006).