1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Expansion of the Playoffs and other Items

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, May 18, 2004.

1. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

In North Carolina High School Athletics, Baseball and Softball currently have the fewest number of playoff spots available to member schools within each classification (1A-4A).

Here is the breakdown: This is the current number of spots per sport per classification:

Football - 64
    Basketball- 48
    Soccer - 46
    Baseball/Softball - 32

Maybe it is time that the NCHSAA revisit this fact and put baseball / softball on equal footing with the other sports, or decrease the number of spots in those sports to accurately reflect teams that truly deservre to enter the playoffs. Of course we know that this will not happen because of the economics involved with the football and basketball playoffs and the amount of revenue they earn for the Endowment Fund of the NCHSAA. MAny times I have sat in the rules meetings in Greensboro at the NCCA clinic and seen the views of the Baseball Coaches shot down. Maybe Que Tucker, who has replaced Dick Knox at the NCHSAA will be maybe a little more open minded and hear our voices.

One problem I see with this also is the fact that hte voices of the baseball coaches aren't as effectively heard as the Football and Basketball coaches. Here's a solution: Join the NCBCA. The North Carolina Baseball Coaches Association (NCBCA) can be a united front for us as coaches to have our opinions heard. Ronald Vincent (JH Rose) is currently the president, the NCBCA is currently moving the winter clinic around the state as to attract a more diverse membership so that at least 1 out of every 3 years it will be close to you, the coaches. We need to be heard but we can't if we refuse to unite and join together. I hear all the time that some of us may feel like we are lacking behind basketball and football. The reasons are two-fold: ECONOMICS and we aren't united in voice.

Any other thoughts on this from you coaches?

2. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Yup!

I agree the spring sports ESP baseball has always gotten the shaft from the state, PERIOD!!!! Economics and TIMEEEEEEEE no time for the busiest time of the school year in high schools! Just keep on squeezin the baseball season that is a fact, and no one up there truly cares i think! :teeth: :teeth:

3. kannapbaseball

kannapbaseball Junior Member

I think that the playoff system should stay the same for baseball. Unlike in football you feel you have accomplished something by makin the playoffs. And it is hard to make it which makes it such an honor just to be in it. Last year in football the npc had all but one team in the playoffs. It's kinda made it a joke for football. But thats just my opinion.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I've said this many times...we have many coaches across the state that read this forum everyday....but they won't register and post. Although, I have reassured them countless of times, they fear they may be attacked by players and parents for their opinions...and they just don't want the headache.

I just keep hoping they will change their minds.....between yourself, "O", sugarjet, Mark Mennitt, and playme, I can never recall any of you guys being attacked because of your position....this forum would not allow it.

5. 007

007 Full Access Member

I would be in favor of keeping the number of teams at 32, but expanding the number of games. This could be done by going to a double elimination format in the sectionals or maybe going to a round robin after the first round (like the NCAA regionals). Under the current format, 16 teams are already out of the playoffs without the depth of their pitching staff coming into play. Shouldn't a #2 starting pitcher get an oppotunity to show his stuff after being a vital cog in his team's success all year ?
    I would also be in favor of double headers in sectional games where fans get a chance to see not only their team, but also their next opponent and twice as much great baseball.

6. orig yank

orig yank Junior Member

COACH, I TOTALLY AGREE THAT BASEBALL NEEDS MORE RECOGNITION THAN IT HAS GOTTEN IN THE PAST. MAYBE A SEEDING FORMULA BESIDES JUST # OF TEAMS PER CONFERENCE TO GIVE MORE BALANCE TO THE STATE PLAYOFFS. I NOTICED ON THE NCHSAA BRACKETS THAT WERE TEAMS WITH SUB .300 RECORDS IN AND THERE WERE TEAMS WITH .700 RECORDS THAT DID NOT MAKE IT. BASEBALL SHOULD BE EXPANDED TO AT LEAST THE NUMBER OF BASKETBALL GAMES THE STATE NEITHER GAINS $ OR LOSES $ , THE SCHOOLS THEMSELVES ARE BEARING THE COST. AS IN YEARS PAST BACK TO SIMON TERRELL DAYS IF IT DIDN'T PUT MONEY IN THE TILL AT THE STATE HEADQUARTERS IT WOULD GO UNNOTICED. AS ALWAYS CONTINUE TO KEEP US INFORMED. IF A LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN ACROSS THE STATE OR PHONE CALL TO STATE HEADQUARTERS, JUST LIKE THE GAME "WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET THE JOB DONE" :xyzthumbs

7. WS-FOOTBALL

WS-FOOTBALL Full Access Member

Good post 007

If you are not one/two in the conference then you have no business in the playoffs (unless you win you tournament) in any sport. I don't think there is any need for any other teams in the playoffs (the economic aspect of it makes since but waters down games) . If any changes are made I would like to see every round turned into a series, or a 4 team round robin, where every team plays the other.

8. orig yank

orig yank Junior Member

PERSONALLY I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TOP TWO TEAMS IN EACH CONF.

HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS ARE VERY SIMILAR TO THE EDUCATION SYSYEM, EVERYBODY IS VERY GUNG-HO AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR WITH PLENTY OF MONEY BUT COME SPRING, WHAT CAN YOU GET BY WITH. AS COACH EVANS STATED 64 FOOTBALL 48 BASKETBALL 32 BASEBALL NOT MUCH PARITY BUT VERY SWAYED BY $$$$$.

9. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Just a little something to stir the pot... :rofl: :laugh1:

The only thing I dont like about seeding PLayoff teams would be that it doesn't always consider strength of schedule. That's why some of the playoff teams dont have .700 winning %. What about all Conference #1's and #2's then AT-LARGE BIDS? Could you imagine the potential for politics ina decision process and scheduling?

10. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Instead of expanding the playoffs by including more teams, I would like to see baseball split into 5 divisions (regardless of what they do in other sports). 1A through 5A.

That would include another 32 teams TOTAL in state playoffs. With North Carolina soon looking to have 400 schools instead of 350-370, it makes sense to add another division.