1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Fan control and what is done about it

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by JustWatching2, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustWatching2

JustWatching2 Junior Member

deleted.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. cmmguy

cmmguy *

I cant think of another sport where the spectators are up close and personal with the players and direct verbal contact is made such as yelling "Swing" to a batter. I dont even think the catcher can yell "Swing"(but I could be wrong). That does not even happen at football games.

I see nothing wrong with cheering for your team but absoluting cannot accept anything said directly or indirectly to an opposing team member.

However, accepting it as their nature just makes no sense to me. Why have we become a society that thinks this is acceptable. This isnt about being politically correct, It is simply about manners and respect.

3. ScreamingSpartan51

ScreamingSpartan51 Junior Member

It is about time.

Umm...basketball games...you know when the players shoot free throws and the crowd yells the moment the ball is released.

But anyways...JustWatching2,

Thank you so much for these words of wisdom. As a memeber of the Screaming Spartan Nation, I will let it be known that I myself have taken measures to deal with the personal attacks. There will be no more. End of story. But we will be there at home and away games to yell SWING, K, and anything else that comes to our minds that doesn't offened the players. And the softball coach has personally said that if he hears and can id. any fan yelling personal attacks, that they will be removed at that very moment. I understand that parents will be offened when our team is up to the mercy rule and all they can blame it on is us. Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who has, and will continue, to support our support for our State Champs

4. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Welcome JustWatching.....and yes.....

....this type subject for the most part has no merit otherthan what might be a good way to keep an eventual fight breaking out. And it will. you're right, kids do dumb stuff, and so do we as parents when it comes to backing up our kids. That "no one picks on my brother, etc" stuff gets in the way of all sports. when I was in HS, kids would turn their back when an opponents starters were announced. Or the kids would hold up newspapers when the other kids came out. Is this type of behavior acceptable? To me, from a kids viewpoint it is, and I'm cool with it to some degree. But never will I accept a Big Mouth parent getting involved.....and ya'll know what I"m saying. Kids keeping polite antagonizing will always be a part of the game. Keep the parents out of it, and everyone has fun. .....Go on You Tube and check out the Duke student in the speedo dancing in the stands to mess with a foul shooter. Its awesome. Is it in good taste? Maybe not, but no one is ready to fight or sling snot over it!.....and my man at the line missed both shots!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  5. cmmguy

cmmguy *

At a basketball game the distance is much greater and with all the fans yelling, it becomes white noise... At a softball game it is 10 feet and very personal. No comparison.

If you think your team needs it to win, then knock yourself out.

6. ScreamingSpartan51

Well you know with softball its also outside and the sound kinda dies off at a certain distance. But in a high school gym, the sound bounces off everything and is ten times louder to any player on the court. And it is not that our teams need us to win. But we can show our support when they do win, or do their best in the atempt.

7. JustWatching2

JustWatching2 Junior Member

deleted.

8. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Distance does matter....

.....but unless you can show me a rule that says "hecklers" have to be back so many feet, your post in theory rocks but in the real world its worthless. I'm not coming down on either side of this gig, but I'm gonna pick apart both sides until someone posts something that we all can hang our hat on. Distance?...uhhh, is it ok for the pitcher 10u, to yell upon the release of her pitch from 35 ft? or should we only allow the "yell" by pitchers at 40 ft? Sorry. Maybe 43 ft. ....next!!!!!

9. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

The ump should not allow them to yell "swing" during the pitch!

10. ScreamingSpartan51

No offense, but we don't do that, we yell during the swing, or at least the time at which someone should swing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.