1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Legion Ballpark and Why

Discussion in 'American Legion' started by tj21, May 29, 2007.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

What are some of the best ballparks for fans to enjoy a great baseball atmosphere around the Legion world in NC. I'm actually going to one of my favorites tonight, when I visit Catawba College's Newman Park, home of Rowan County's great legion baseball history. Newman Park is a beautiful little ballpark, but the Rowan faithful fill it and make it loud. The field itself always looks great and since they renovated the entire outfield wall several years ago, everything on the playing field just looks perfect. Oh, and by the way, did I mention the Newman Park hotdogs are great.

2. 9nine9

9nine9 Full Access Member

Ditto

I'm with you tj - Newman is the ultimate legion park for me. Not only is the atmosphere great with the grandstand, fans, food, etc, but the playing surface is head and shoulders above even most minor league parks. Coach Gantt does a great job on the field and I know first hand how much he and his players (Catawba and Rowan) put into it. It's not hard to get up for a game at Newman, our players and coaches from Lexington look forward to that short trip every summer.

3. countryboy17

countryboy17 Full Access Member

Legion Fields

I would also put my vote for Newman Park even though I played Legion baseball back in the early 70's for Concord's Post 51. We used to be knock down/drag out rivals back in the day, but I always enjoyed playing at the "enemy's" place! It had the atmosphere that made it exciting to be a participant.

I'm also partial to Concord's Web field, due to the history of the place and the memories I have growing up in the area.

4. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Countryboy17,,,, can you share any information about Webb Field in Concord being torn down? Concord's legion team is playing at Central Cabarrus HS this summer and we have only heard rumors about the "old ballpark" (Webb) being turned into something other than baseball for the first time in 100 years.

Anything you've heard?

5. homeplate

homeplate Full Access Member

Not only is Newman park a great place to watch a legion game try rich park in Mocksville and McCrary Park in Asheboro.

6. countryboy17

countryboy17 Full Access Member

There is a greenway being built that will allow people to walk from point a to point b in that area. This greenway
    runs along side the right field line, so they built a bridge across the creek and tore down the fence.
    The project is due to be completed soon, but was not finished in time to begin the season.
    From what I've been told, baseball will again be played at Webb, maybe no Legion baseball this season as they have already setup shop at Central Cabarrus High School.

:biker:

There was just something about those Rowan County/Post 51 games at Webb from '72 - '74.
    Fans would be crowed all aroung the back stop, down the left field line and sitting in the concrete bleachers in the outfield. All kinds of pro scouts, sporting their World Series rings to make us wild eyed kids paying attention to their every word. At least two radion stations broadcasting the game.
    Also Rowan County had one fan back then, I believe his name was ED, who had the loudest voice in the world.
    He would start as soon as he would get out of the car and you could hear him all over the park.
    GREAT TIMES!!! I just hope the kids today are getting the opportunity to enjoy the game as I did as a kid!
    Sorry, didn't mean to get off subject!

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I like to read these stories

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Also like Cherryville. The atmosphere is terrific, but they put the restooms on the homeside and you have to walk a gauntlet of fans to get there. I decided I could wait.

I also like Shelby's field. It's like sitting in a coliseum watching the gladiators.

9. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Countryboy17,,, did you play on the 72-74 Concord teams? If you did, we probably know each other. And just so others will know, back during that time, Kannapolis didn't have a team, so ALL of Cabarrus County played for Concord, and your'e right, Concord/Rowan was some wars.

As for the Rowan fan named Ed,,,,,, Concord fans referred to him as LOUDMOUTH,,,, and ole Loudmouth would get out of his car yelling at Concord players and fans. Then Concord fans would start yelling back, and that went back and forth all night long. It was a blast.

10. TBA

TBA Full Access Member

Pretty Nice

MS Deal Stadium in Granite Falls, home of Caldwell Post 29 has a very nice playing surface, also has plenty of seating (concrete does tend to get hard on the back side though), good view, good food / concessions, great atmosphere, huge crowds, odd dimensions that do not favor the LH hitter.