1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Feb 6th Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Girls Basketball' started by whspioneers, Feb 6, 2007.

1. whspioneers

whspioneers Full Access Member

So have I and I agree totally. Kurie plays on a better team. Ali is a better individual player. If Ali played on McDowell she would be even better but if Kurie played on Freedom im not sure she would.​

Yeah, two, at Alexander and last night. But they did not.​

I have never said you could not talk or bash, I just debated the validity of your statements or spoke my opinion.​

No debate from me on this, they were eating it alive. They got 5-6 layups out of it.​

You must not have seen the East Burke game where we played a 2-3 half court zone and it got picked apart. The way to beat a zone is with dribble penetration. Thats not how to shut down a slasher. Thats how to let a slasher thrive. The way to stop it is to put a more athletic defender on the girl.

There have been things this year that I have disagreed with coach Dixon. There have also been things I disagreed with that coach Sanders did, and that coach Fancher at App State have done. Does that mean they are not smart, no. However there record saves them. There are going to be things in every basketball season you disagree with.

Yeah they do, but not to the extent that our delusional fans and parents believe.

Is coach Dixon a great coach? Probably not but he is our coach. Pat Summit would not have gone .500 with this team. Coach Dixon is the best coaching option we can get. Our parents and delusional fans that constantly complain about a program that has never won anything ever have driven off all potential coaches. No one will take this job if we get rid of Dixon. You will end up with someone who is not qualified at all to coach. Name me some legit people that would take this job.

He is not going anywhere. He will return to the sideline next year, he has the full confidence of everyone who has a real say so in the matter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  2. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

(quote)Just because she hasn't shot many 3's against Freedom dosen't mean she cannot do it. As one of the previous posts stated, ask South Caldwell what she did...Washington was officially 4 of 7 from behind the arc against the Lady Spartans. Also Washington isn't the type to force a lot of shots...she is patient when she has the ball.

Believe me Washington can knock it in from the outside. She will also go by you if you can't beat her to the spot. She is much much harder to defend than Ford

3. WHSHOOPSFAN

WHSHOOPSFAN Member

Not really, they should have won 10 games this year.

No but someone moved my post!!

No more like 10-15!

That is one way to beat a zone, but they do not have anyone that can guard a quick ballhandler!

I am not talking about the AAU team that went to Nationals. I am talking about the JV team that won all but three games and tied for the conference title with McDowell. I don't know if they will win the conference or not,but without the right leadership they won't! You didn't mention that several other NW4A teams take temas to National tournaments like this!

Coach Dunnigan has proven himself!

DO you remember what happened when the parent attacked Coach Dixon and the school board over turned the decision? I would not put anything past them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  4. reynoldsrocks23

reynoldsrocks23 1999,2002 4A State Champs

Well, if the best PLAYER is going to get the award then I am assuming that DJ Clement from ACR will be the runaway winner for the guys award? However, you rarely see the best PLAYER get the award, it's usually someone coming from the top TEAM meaning they should rename the award....JMO.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  5. mountainball

mountainball Full Access Member

WHS PIONEER said "Our parents and delusional fans that constantly complain about a program that has never won anything ever have driven off all potential coaches."

Well my friend, obviously you didn't see the teams that played under Coach Wright at Watauga. They won on a consistent basis (139 wins in 8 seasons). Granted they had the talent to do it, but they won. It took a mixture of a great coach (and great he was) with good assistants and a run of talent. A 1996 Sectional 4A Champion (24-9) and lost to a strong Greensboro Page club in the Regionals that year. Many that watched this team play beleived that they were truly the best team in the state that year, they just caught a few bad breaks in the regionals (you can ask McDowell fans about having bad breaks in regionals when they had the better team). A run of talent like Watauga has not seen since and it doesn't look like they will see that again anytime soon. At one point in the '98 season they started a line-up that consisted of players 5'8" PG, 5'10" SG, 6'0" SF, 6'1" PF, and 6'4" C. The point guard could have played center on this years team and many in years past.

The Watuaga girls will get better, but it will take a concerted effort on defense. If you have trouble scoring, you better be able to stop others from scoring. I wish them well. I believe in them and so should their fans. Give them room to grow and they shall, but stifle their efforts and suffer the consequences.

6. whspioneers

Mountainball- that run was alot like football this year. Would I consider football a program that has won alot? No. They had a few good seasons yeah. Coach Wright was a heck of a head coach. However he had the talent to do it. Coach Dixon does have anywhere close to the talent Coach Wright had. Maybe it was a stretch to say they WHS has never won anything however they have never won consistantly at the levels that people expect them too. Since Coach Wright left WHS has never had the talent to go 24-9 and get to the sectionals. However WHS parents thought that we should have. Coach Moretz got screwed over it and in the end Dixon is getting screwed. Both ARE exceptionally good coaches.

AMEN BROTHER AMEN. Firing coach Dixon will not happen, so the fans should just accept that and move on. These girls, these COACHES, need the support, not the constant back stabbing. We don't need a mutiny.

7. whspioneers

Exactly. This isn't a coaching issue though. Having no quick players is not anything a coach can change. He cannot recruit.

I did not know that those other schools were there. I go off alot of what our radio tells me. Equating JV conference titles to varsity is a hard science. We have been good at JV basketball and JV football and that hasen't translated into conference championships.

Ha Ha. Yeah he has. However do you know how many meetings he has had to have to defend his position with some of our JV parents who think he cannot coach. More parents complain about his playing time than do Dixon. He is 20-3 it think. Its a shame. He is a great coach. However I do not believe he would take the job. He would be a good one. I don't think he wants to deal with the malcontents anymore.

I was there. I was sitting behind our bench when it happened. I know the party involved. He had no right to do what he did and deserved everything. What did our school board over turn in the matter? His ban from games? He should have been banned from womens hoops.

8. mtnman

mtnman Full Access Member

Watauga does have some talent on their varisty team and does have some talent on their jv team. I really think that it is a same that people are putting down the accomplishments of the freshman class. I for one know what the competition was like at the YBOA National Tournament. I was their coach. The level of play at the 14u tourament was very good. Every team that we played was either the State Champions or State Runner-Ups. We played the team that ended up as the National Runner-ups to 5 points in our first game. They would have given our varsity team a good game. Make sure you have the correct information about things before you make a post. There were only 10 people(myself and Coach Dunnigan included) from Watauga County at the tournament games, and all of those people know what the level of competition was and what an accomplishment it was.

Also, the Watauga Storm pulls from a county of around 33,000 people and all the girls that play for the Watauga Storm will attend WHS. There was not another team at the National Tournament that fell into this category. The other teams that were there pull players from all over. We took 10 girls to the Nationals and had 2 of the better 14u players in the county not even playing on the team. Who knows what they could have accomplished with them on the team too. It was and is a great accomplishment for the girls. Of the 10 players on the team 3 were 14u, 6 were 13u and 1 12u player. They played up an age group for the most of them all year and was very successful.

I think that it is a shame that we are trying to build up the confidence in the girls and when they do something amazing, they don't get the recognition they deserve. I am very proud of their AAU season, and was very proud to be their coach. No one can take away their accomplishments from the summer, even if you don't think they were big.

Now, will these girls lead WHS to the conference championship? Who knows, only time will tell. I do know one thing. They are talented and they love playing basketball and love to play hard. They will be successful, to what level, we will have to wait and see.

But a big congratulations to the girls for what you did this summer!!:fan_wave2:

9. whspioneers

First of all I never said I knew anything about the tournament. From what I was told, the talent at the tournament was not close to that of the NW4A.

I am not putting down there accomplishments. However lets not count the league championships until whs actually wins them. Winning a NBOA championship is alot different from varsity.

I think what they did is great, however no one can refute that it has giving some parents the ammunition that league championships should follow on varsity.

I support Coach Dixon, I believe he is the right man for the job and it infuriates me that he is having to go through this mess of everyone trying to get him fired. He is a good person and has a good coaching staff.

Note - I said whs had talent, just not to the extent the parents think.​