1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Finances

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by softball_56, Feb 16, 2012.

1. softball_56

softball_56 Full Access Member

Thanks! That was worded a lot better. Now I understand. But rec ball is not going to get those kids with tremendous talent to the next level. We have kids like that who deserve to play at the next level, but like many others their parents are struggling to provide them that opportunity. I no longer have a child involved (my dd went on to play college ball and became an all-american). I'm just trying to help others get there. Hope that makes sense to some.

2. justsoftball

justsoftball Full Access Member

In all honesty....

If gas prices hit $5 a gallon, your chances of raising any decent money on ANY kind of fundraising hit the toilet.

While the government likes to continually state the 2008 economic crises was due nearly solely to the housing market crash, take a few minutes to really think about that.

What was occurring at that time? Oh, that's right - gas prices had gone through the roof. Getting to and from work, alone, doubled in cost. There was less money for luxuries, and less money for many, many people to pay nasty little bills like...oh....house notes or to do things like....oh....buy cars.

If gas hits $5 a gallon, we are going to dive head first into another financial crisis, people are going to start keeping their money close, jobs are going to be lost because people are not going to be spending on non-necessities, and certainly, benevolence runs out the door faster than a cat with its tail on fire.

A few year ago, someone wisely (that is sarcasm there) decided to move the vast majority of major showcases to Rockhill, because so many out of the west were whining about gas costs. Guess what? Now people from the center of the state and east spend an exorbitant amount of money to travel.

Lots of kids will stop playing travel ball, if prices hit that high. Gas will price them right out of the ability to play. IF ball, overall, stands a chance, move it back to the CENTER of the state, allowing for nearly equal cost to all participants rather than for just a few.

3. BirdCatcher

BirdCatcher Junior Member

Center of the State

I looked at a map of North AND South Carolina.....Rock Hill looks to be pretty close to the center of the "Carolinas". Or do we have to make the Showcases for NC teams only? Just a thought.

4. cmmguy

cmmguy *

Nothing was. It was a good answer to the question about what to do about the high cost of playing travel ball. TOO many kids that should be playing rec ball and having fun are being dragged around by their parents to play at a "higher level" when they probably would have a better time staying local, supporting the local economy, and playing with their friends. The "higher level" has been so diluted with rec ball level players. But this is a different topic.

No fund-raising will compensate for higher gas prices unless you spread the fundraising money around for parents to use to fill their gas tanks... which I think is not the purpose of fund raising, especially if you have a non-profit status.

Car-pooling would go a lot further to lower costs than anything else.

5. stiksdad

stiksdad Full Access Member

Well said exactly what I was thinking.

6. jems567

jems567 Junior Member

Someone could hold good quality tournaments around the triangle area![​IMG]

7. ahogbackr

ahogbackr Junior Member

Quality tournaments in Triangle

The Cardinals organization does put on a couple good tournamets in the Raleigh Area. I personally think ( I am sure I will be bombarded) that the reason that more quality tournaments have not been available here in the triangle is the politics among the various Rec departments who control the fields - and unfortunately the only ones who truly lose in that case - are the girls and the NC softball community.Just my two cents.