1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

FIRST DAY OF HS TRYOUTS

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

cheeze, in that case, it was probably due to not having a jv coach...
    We have the same at Northwood but the coaches just coach both teams. Games are played as doubleheaders. The advantage to this is that, for the jv players, it's like a season long tryout to make next years varsity team and it makes the whole program closer knit with shared time togather at practice, at games and on the bus going to away games.

2. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

Who call is it to have a JV team? Is the the varsity head coach of a sport, the AD, or the Principal? If there were 12+ kids out there that were freshmen and sophomores they should have a JV team in my opinion. I know that if I was a parent of one of those kids I would be pretty ticked off. Please keep in mind that I do not know all the facts, but if the facts were like I stated above I would expect them to have a JV team. Now, there could be other reasons for not fielding a JV team...perhaps no other team in the conference has one or perhaps the school cannot fund the team. I would hate to turn away 12+ kids that wanted to play.

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i dont know the reasons why, i dont even know the school, but i agree, if there are 12 or more kids who want to play ball, lets do it. some people feel that being a jv coach is beneath them, i personally enjoyed training girls on the jv and will miss that opportunity this year as we didnt field a jv team.

4. nctiger

nctiger Full Access Member

At South Caldwell since we have our present coach, we have had a JV & Varsity, both teams practice together, travel together and at schools that have lights the JV's play first and then the varsity. Where no lights are present, Varsity plays first and then JV's, I think that all but one team in our conference now has lights on there field, only AC Reynolds (as of last year) does not have lights.
    It has worked well for us at practice session, one group works on hitting and the other on defense. The good thing about this is that all the kids are taught the same, and hopefully by the time the JV's are ready for Varsity, the learning curve is not nearly as steep....

5. fp135nc

fp135nc Full Access Member

No JV

I heard Lake Norman High School had 24 tryout and only kept 12 for Varsity. No JV team. Heard that from someone whose daughter made the Varsity team.

6. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

Just curious from somebody over there in the know........Why?? Were the other 12 that bad??

I say that because at North iredell(in the same conference) we have a group of freshman JV's who are practicing hard and wanting to play games. but I have heard thru the grapevine that several in the conference are not having teams. Again in the NPC especially, is it a numbers problem?? coach problem?? talent problem?? Just curious like I said.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

pitching

many times the JV has very weak pitching because certain freshmen or soph's would make an ideal JV level pitcher, but they are also needed as a position player or as a key reserve on the varsity. This leaves the JV with inexperienced pitching.

have others seen this?

8. CometFan

CometFan Moderator

I would say it's probably the economy.

9. NathanCullars

NathanCullars Full Access Member

We have had a string of "bad coaches" or not loyal coaches to our program here at NC. We raised money for lights, got them, now can't get enough girls to even try out for the squad. We did finally get 14 out without ANY cuts so far, but that's not near enough to start a program. We even have a couple travel ball players that do not come to practice every day. I will say however, that most of the girls do try very hard and maybe we might have enough next season. We have great boosters and support, just zero interest from players.

10. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

missing practice?

TB players missing HS practice???? assuming they won't be in the lineup on opening day?