1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Goat Pastures or Softball Fields?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by betterbatter, Mar 15, 2007.

1. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

What are the best and worst fields you've seen this season? Some are down right dangerous to play softball on! Some athletic departments should be ashamed! Comments. . .

2. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

I can understand pointing out the nice fields out there...but not sure what benefit it is to point out the less fortunate.

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

fields

you have to remember that most of us dont have the financing to have decient fields. in our conference alone, of the seven teams, only four had lights as of the start of the season. we have to suffer with port-0-johns and dont have a true way to charge admission to help our program. five years ago when i started at this highschool, no fences were in front of the dug outs, no roof on the dugouts, line shots would wipe out a bench. we pushed the safety issue to the point that they are building a new field for us, which we will be in next year.

safety issues must be addressed both to the booster club and the conference athletic director. no one wants any player or parent hurt during a game and we've found that if you play the safety/law suit issue, you get results. it's a shame, but it seems to be the only tool that will work.

girls sports will continue to be a bottom rung issue when it comes to financing, unless you come together as a group and have you opinion's heard. girls sports need to be on the same level as boys sports, the athletics that we have in girls sports are just as deserving as the boys, play just as hard, if not harder to make that point, and dont deserve to be on the bottom rung of any issue.

jmo

ed

4. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

We played our first conference away game on a rec field that was gravel. Now I know what some are thinking... must have JUST BEEN a few small rocks. NO!... the infield had a surface of made up of pea gravel limestone as it surface... not dirt, not brick dust, not granite dust... GRAVEL. We told our players not to even slide.

Cheese, if you will get a parent (preferably one who is an atty) to talk to the AD first and then to the Super about possible Title 9 violations you will get matching facilities for the young ladies!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  5. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

BEEN THERE !!!

I will have to agree it appears that girls facilties are not a priority when it comes to sports...it happened to us when we played rec ball in our early years ,the girls fields were near the swamp area / sewer area,but the boys facilities were always located in the better areas... now lets take C.C. & Butler out of the equation, because they have beautiful facilities...Why is it that the majority of AD's don't try to better the facilities that our DD's play in ????

:newsmile53:

6. cheeze105

i've found that most AD's are either head football coaches or head baseball coaches and you have to realize that any improvements to the softball field will come out of the general budget and means less for other sports.

7. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

I know a coach that's been pushing for many years to get their field upgraded, and it's SLOWLY getting there. But she's been told, by the AD, that she should just be happy that she HAS a field. This is the mentality that a lot deal with when it comes to most girl sports.

Parents do need to understand that they can get more done than the Coaches. If the Coach asks for this or that, then it's looked at as complaining or whinning. But parents are the ones that can make a difference.

8. cheeze105

right on the money

Thanks NOGA87, this is right on the money. I know what the coach you refer too is going through, and her field improvements are stellar. The push must come from the parents/booster club. We get the same speach from our AD as she does. We have the unfortunate position of our field being used as the practice field for football . . ... it has become a pasture with clumps of grass and the sprinkler system non functional. . . .... looking forward to the new field with LIGHTS !!!!!!! WHO HO!!!!!

9. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

We ( parents ) have tried,but always put on the back burner....football stadium is beautiful,and baseball field is awesome, and get this the boys batting cage is located on our field...HMMMMMMMMMM, I just don't understand why the female is looked upon as less important( UNLESS YOU ARE HILLARY CLINTON )....think about it !!!!

:pyth:-------------- OUR DD's

10. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

use the magic words... speak the language