1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Going the other way

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Sooners, May 11, 2009.

1. Sooners

Sooners Junior Member

During the Red Sox - Rays game last night, Joe Morgan was talking about David Ortiz and his hitting struggles. Mr. Morgan says he dislikes when coaches tell hitters to let the ball travel and go to the opposite field. He said something to the effect that in his opinion the swing slows down as hitters try to push or guide the ball that way. The inning ended and Mr. Morgan didn't pick up his train of thought the next inning to explain how he would approach a struggling hitter. Do you feel that is true and if so how do you coach young hitters to stay on the ball and keep their bat speed?

2. PutMeInCoach

PutMeInCoach I Love This Game

I heard the same thing last night but Joe clarified it by saying that the bat speed thing was for big league caliber hitters like Ortiz etc. I believe in teaching kids to hit the inside of the baseball. If hands respond correctly on that approach they will hit it where it is pitched.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Looks like Morgan's tips to Ortiz before the game paid off. He had some great swings on the ball.

But I keep in mind that he is explaining how a hitter should hit a 97 mph fastball

4. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

hands back

as long as you can as well as weight physically... try to mak conscious effort to drive the ball between 4 & 6 positions everthing else will take care of itself :bounce::bounce::bounce: