1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Golden Spikes Showcase - June 4 - 6

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by texasleaguer, Jun 4, 2010.

1. A Non E Mous

A Non E Mous Full Access Member

I understand that regarding my legion comment. I've worked Legion, I've worked showcase...I prefer showcase for a number of reasons. My observations are that legion pitchers have a hard time going nine innings and that their arms are overworked. Do all the Legion coaches overwork their pitchers? NO, NO, NO...that would be a generalization. There are college coaches who run legion programs in the summer and understand how to use their pitchers. I like what the SCBL does. Put a pitch count on the pitcher. I think a pitch count does some good things. It encourages a pitcher to pitch to contact and make smarter pitches and the obvious is that it preserves an arm. Showcase has it's quirks too. Some coaches think there is a trophy they are playing for that no one else knows about. I'm all for competition and wanting to win but sometimes the purpose and "stage" that showcase provides is lost in the competition. I'm sure my observations will rub some people the wrong way because the showcase vs. legion debate seems to be the great debate on TBR. I think both programs are great. I think they can both serve to develop players. I think the mentality to play and coach has to be different though.

2. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

Mr. Mous,
    I just want to say I appreciate your commentary.
    I like how you expressed your thoughts, and were willing to clarify and expand without "attitude".
    You appear to be much more than just an umpire.
    Play much prior? Coach any? Just curious...

3. A Non E Mous

Cat,
    Believe or not, the baseball I've learned is from umpiring games. I've learned do and don'ts on levels from travel ball on up to college ball. I've umpired many games when I thought in my head a coach would do one thing and he did another and left me wondering. I pitched till I blew my arm out from throwing sidearm when I was in high school. Never had surgery...never though about it. I love umpiring. I'm considering going to umpire school to polish some things up and learn some theory in January.

I don't try to have an attitude. I just try to speak from experience and try not to be too "opinionated". Sometimes I slip up.

4. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

I wish you the best in your pursuit.

I "dabble" in umpiring after my season. (Can you dabble?)
    I really enjoy it. It is a different perspective of the game.
    I truly would like to polish and get some schooling, but with a full-time job, family and coaching being my "trade", calling tends to be back, back burnered. Sorry if that offends.

5. A Non E Mous

Catcoach,
    I understand completely. I've decided to go to school because I'm slowly plateau-ing, if you will, with where I'm at. School will help separate me from the pack a little bit and open up some other opportunities. Umpiring is very, very competitive and is something you have to make a conscience effort to get better. Nothing wrong with "dabbling". Your family comes first and if you can umpire a little bit to help out you or your family, that's great. When I have the opportunity I tell hs and college players that umpiring is a great way to give back to the game and it's a great "part-time" job if you are going to school. You can't make $400-500 in a weekend delivering pizzas. Best of luck in your umpiring. Anything I can do to help, let me know.