1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Handshake

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DancingInTheStands, May 9, 2009.

1. east

east Full Access Member

Perhaps the thought of swine flu ??

2. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Any team

that does not after the game should lose the right to play. If a coach can not control his players. He or she should lose their job. Period.

3. catamount36

catamount36 Full Access Member

wow!!!! plate dad,
    a little harsh are we???? maybe NOT shaking hands when tempers are up, MAY be the way to handle TEENAGERS on occaision. it is nice to know, that it is easy to handle teenagers, i guess simply tell them "be nice and shake hands" to say that the coach should lose his job????? come on. i guess you should lose your job as a parent if you kid misbehaves on occaision??? wow

4. Plate Dad

Ok coach maybe

a little over the top. Coaching is a hard job. You are asked to be a parent, grandparent,brother, mentor and a coach. To teach the players the game. I veiw it as your job to teach the players the game. And (it maybe just tradition) but it is part of the the game. If you as a coach cannot control your players actions what is left to do. Just as a parent should be held accountable for their childrens actions. I say so should the coach. Yes there will be times when players do the wrong thing (other than what is taught is right) but you as a coach correct these actions and the other players learn from that correction. They learn to control their emotions. I am sure that when you were a player (teenager) you got upset during a game. What was your action? Did you go crazy or did you remember what would happened if you did? Again maybe I was a little over the top, but, it is an opinion. Just like the parent who say thier son/daughter cannot play due to misbehaving, bad grades, or other things teenages do. I use your and you as a general term Not at you directly

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Man, have times changed. Outside of Little League, I don't know when the traditional handshakes in HS after ball games started. I understand it, but I didn't grow up with it.

I look back at the times when a player(s) would slide with "spikes up" or a hard foul in basketbal would result in fans storming the court and fists would fly....ahhh, the memories!

Listen, I think it is civil for teams to shake hands after a battle, but sometimes things happen during that battle that don't go away right after the game----I would hope that my coach would be in-tune with the atmosphere during those battles and realize that there may be some lingering bitterness. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes that heat of the moment emotion does not leave with the shaking of hands. It's hard to ask the competitor who just got slapped in the face to accept the "I'm sorry" and to say, "Okay."

Sportsmanship is important---it's the essence of playing the game. But there are certain times when your opponent disrespects you and the game and it's reasonable to assume that it may be better to go on your way after it's completed.

Based on the details that were posted in this thread--it was a highly emotional game against rivals. Victory was snatched at the last second from defeat. It is understandable that the impromptu "dogpile' occured (not acceptable, but understandable)...and it's understandable that the gut wrenching loss was devastating to the other team. I'm glad there were two seasoned coaches that were there and understood the traditional handshakes should be waived due to mitigating factors.

When I reflect back to my era, I have to assume the reason no one shook hands after the games was because...We HATED them! Didn't like them, didn't like their girlfriends, and didn't like their dogs. In fact, I don't think even the coaches liked each other. But times have changed.....and I guess to the better

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Personally, I believe when a coach of a playoff team that has victory snatched away, when his player may have missed touching first base after hitting a HR, should not get upset...but rather address the umpire civilly and after making your point---shake his hand and tell him how great a job he is doing.---Be nice and shake hands--- Don't you think so, Coach?

ROFLMAO

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  7. Plate Dad

1. Is it acceptable for the losing team to leave the field without shaking hands at the end of a game? Yes and No. Most have expressed No. A couple have given factors that would make it acceptable or not.

2. Is it the coach's responsibility/decision? Yes. He/she is the leader of the team. And therefore is accountable for that choice.

8. stickwolf

stickwolf Full Access Member

nevermind

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. tools

tools Full Access Member

WOW! you bring up old wounds right before the playoffs start.:zaehne: That is what he looked like right after that call was made. :clown7: This what Braves was doing after that call. :bsflag: here was the coaches last words before he did this. :sport-smiley-12:

10. DancingInTheStands

DancingInTheStands Full Access Member

I'd like to read the article you quoted from the local paper. I couldn't find it in the Charlotte Observer. Could you share the name of the publication and that date? Thanks.