1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Hangin' em up...

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by JM15, Dec 8, 2004.

1. JM15

JM15 Moderator

Guys,
    Just wanted to let ya'll in on some heart breakin news of mine. Recently I had to hang 'em up. It's very hard for me to do because you all know how much I love playin the game of baseball. But as some of you guys know, I have had some re-occuring elbow problems over the last few years that just will not go away. I can throw all day long, but the pitching is the problem. I can throw pitches, long toss, etc... but just don't have any "umph". Here I am, sophomore at LCC with plans of attending NCSU next fall. So currently I am bustin my tail in the classroom to make sure I get that acceptance letter to NC State one day. I plan on majoring in Parks and Rec. Management with a concentration in Sports Management.

Also, as some of you know.. I plan on getting into coaching ASAP. It is what I have always wanted to do once my playin days come to an end. It kills me to even think about a spring without playin ball... but as all you pitchers out there know, it's not a matter of whether or not you'll suffer a career endin injury or not, but it's when.

But all things happen for a reason, and it's time to start tellin people what to do on the field instead of listening ;). I will always be a student of the game and I am gonna miss it deeply, but I have reached the point in my life where it's time to put on the turf shoes instead of the spikes.

Thanks to everyone on this board for everything the last couple years. I have learned so much here and I will be on here probably even more now runnin' my mouth.

Talk to yall soon! And let me know if you have any coaching openings starting next fall ;)

-JM15

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

I've gotten to know Jere over the past couple years and have spent a lot of time "chatting" with him.

There isn't a finer young man in the state that loves the game of baseball as much as "J4". I know he'll continue to be an asset to other young men in the state for a long time.

Keep that academic house in order Jere, we're rooting for you.... You are going to make an outstanding coach one of these days.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Doggonit....I was praying that would not be the case. I know you have done a lot of soul searching with your family about this decision, so I'm sure it's the right one....but when you do get involved in coaching....don't forget about us

You are a class act, Jere, and we are honored and fortunate to have someone with your character contributing to TBR.

I've got an idea. I want to ensure that people that frequent this site remember what kind of person you are.....up with the Interview!!!!!

4. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

Jere, I'm truly saddened that you had to find out first hand why it is said, "Play every game as though it's your last", this early in your career. I know you're hurting inside, just like so many players in the past that had to give up the game they love, but I know you can and will turn it into a positive by being a great coach and teacher of the game...... you have so much to offer. Good luck with NCSU and finding that perfect fit as a coach.

rc

5. cc12501

cc12501 Full Access Member

Good luck man that is a shame that has to happen. It just goes to show how much high schoolers and college athletes should appreciate every day they get, because one day it will all be gone.

6. NC-dad

NC-dad Full Access Member

All the players will have to face this sooner or later. I hope my own son will
    take it as well as you have. Good luck in your goal of reaching NC State and on becoming a coach!

7. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Jere-
    You're a class act. Look me up if I can help you in any way.

8. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Young man!

In all sincereness check out the post of mine under the other thread about giving it up AND KNOW THIS! You can and will get just as much joy and satisfaction if not more and the coaching ranks GUARANTEED!!!!!!! :xyzthumbs

9. JM15

JM15 Moderator

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..... :banginghe

But I am takin' em back out of the box (or should I say closet?). Sittin' at a stop light the other day I looked in the backseat and saw my glove. And for some reason, it just hit me... I am gonna play again.

I'm playing this summer in a Wood Bat league in Eastern NC. "East North State Baseball League". Pretty small league, about 8 teams (Raleigh, West Craven, Sanford, Fuquay, Kinston, Wilmington, Cherry Point, and one other) with some of the local college guys playing.

I just figured I'd let you guys in. Maybe the time off will let my elbow work a little better, but if not, it's just gonna have to hurt... cause I gotta get on that rubber atleast one more time.

And oh yeah, a school update for me... I graduated from LCC this year with my 2year degree. I am still planning on attending State in the fall and still plan on getting into coaching ASAP. Go Pack!

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  10. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Jere ....

Don't be sorry .... Man, I wanna see you play !!!!!!!!!!!!