1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Happy w/Press Coverage in Your Area?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by hawks08, Apr 8, 2003.

1. FP SUPER

FP SUPER Full Access Member

Get on the newstopic scfan. I've checked the website for two days and havn't found anything about our win over Alexander Central.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND HER TROOPS WAY TO KNOCK IT DOWN:D

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

FP SUPER

Thanks and I do remember.............just misread the post ! Sorry and thank you and homerun for keeping me in line.

:D

3. hawks08

hawks08 Full Access Member

I agree with FP Super that ACT missed a great game with Reynolds & AC and it should have been covered. So why wasn't ACT there? Did anyone email ACT days in advance to tell them about this big game? Because of the volume they have to cover I don't think they always know what is a big game in each prep sport. We could help improve that just by emailing them several days in advance. My experience is that ACT is receptive to a heads-up on a big game... they appreciate it. They don't always cover it, but more often now then in the past, they do. The new prep writer said he is trying to learn who are the teams to watch in each sport.

So, as I mentioned in my opening thread, ACT is still falling short in covering all schools and each conference, but they have increased their coverage from miniscule to moderate. In half a season, they have already written more articles on games than they did for the entire season and thru the playoffs, 2 years ago. Maybe we can help them cover better with some well timed emails. We can always hope.

Someone told me that they thought newspaper coverage doesn't help with recruiting an athlete for college. I disagree. I think the lack of an article is not bad, but I think that its a natural tendency to think the athlete is performing at a higher level if they are identified in the press with positive comments. It won't help you get the spot on the team but it could help you get a tryout or get a coach to come watch you play.

4. Greenwave1

Greenwave1 Full Access Member

CF Ball
    RE: Gaston Gazette
    In the past couple of years the Gazette has gotten better
    on its coverage of fastpitch in the county. This year, it seems
    it has regressed as HS Softball was the only spring sport without an early preview of all the county teams. It appears that only
    one reporter is covering ALL spring sports and that is nearly impossible to accomplish. So far, I give them a C for so-so coverage. I find that more coverage is available on TBR.

5. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

greenwave, I noticed the no softball preview and as the Asheville area fans mentioned, they deleted their preseason preview section on softball! Shortage of staff to cover all the spring action is normally the problem but I am like you, this forum is and can be a great outlet for our players and fans. Thanks and keep us posted as you have on the Gaston area softball!:D

6. fastpitch_mama

fastpitch_mama Member

Rutherford County has the Daily Courier, which does a pretty good job covering high school athletics. They are sometimes biased though when it comes to coverage of all 3 schools. (they have their favorite school). It seems like they sometimes choose the wrong games to cover. However they will write articles about middle school games if they are called in and I think that is a plus. They also will have random pictures of Little League players throughout the summer ,which I think is super, and they cover All-Star Little League games as well. All in all I think they do a pretty good job of covering the local sports.

7. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

In Boone, The Watauga Democrat does a good job of covering the high school team. Of course, being the only team in the county, the team should get coverage. They almost always run a detailed front page article, and many times include a picture. They don't cover the entire conference or area though. But, as far as coverage of Watauga High, I can't complain.

8. achscougarfan

achscougarfan Junior Member

The Taylorsville Times

The Taylorsville Times does a great job covering baseball and softball for the ACHS Cougars! We have lots of pictures and articles. I really enjoy looking at the sports section. Thanks Donny!!!!!

9. SouthernGent

SouthernGent Full Access Member

GastonGazette

Over the last several years the quality & quantity of softball coverage in the Gaston Gazette has decreased almost to the point of non-existance. Games scores will be run if they're called in, but that's about it. I think the GG's article on Nicole Shoemaker's recovery was the preview. In my opinion, the only reason a GG reporter would show up at a softball field is that they were way early for a baseball game.....it's sad but true.

GV1 said it all...TBR is where it's at.

Hey..CF...maybe we should do our own preview next year. What'd ya'll think...???

10. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

2004 Softball Preview will be posted on TBR for all respresented areas........enkajet, hawk, fp super, fastpitchmama, homerun, scfan and so many others, any thoughts?;) Hey, with the schools trying to play baseball and softball at same location......not far to walk to get two stories. As much as I enjoy reading about it in the newspaper and seeing some on the tube......this media we are using is much more informative, entertaining and personal! THanks to all you guys/gals from all over the state for making this Softball forum enjoyable!