1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Has anybody else noticed??????

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Thanks for the great comments. Some of you have also mentioned seeing pitchers throwing low 80's and even high 70's. That goes back to my original question. If a kid was being scouted in HS and was throwing those kind of numbers, I imagine the scouts would be putting away their guns and notes, packing up and riding to another game. How did the kids make it to the major schools like Miami, Ga. Tech and such? Because if they dropped down that much speed, I imagine their coaches would think the kid had major arm problems or something.

It is just a little surprising in this day and age when you have a HS program like North Meck where they have 4 kids on their staff bumping 90+ and a major college's staff is having pitchers on their team throwing low 80's and even 70's.

2. playme

playme Full Access Member

i would like to say something here but i feel that i am not qualified because i am not a coach..

however, i saw Dan Bard and Robert Woodard in legion ball and thought they were fine kids..the night i saw Bard he struggled with his fb and control..i don't remember Woodard with the windup he displayed Sat. and i remember his velocity being in the upper 80's...

What i noticed about Bard in the legion game i thought his arm slot was not consistant and that led to his control problems...Sat. i noticed the same thing, i thought he came from three slots ranging from slightly above 3/4 to side arm...i feel Bard has good enough "stuff" to be challenging batters with movement and location rather than trying to fool them with junk.

the other thing i notice Sat. was a very inconsistant ump behind the plate..

i agree that if a hs pitcher tops 90+ once, it usually gets around that he is throwing in the 90s although his cruise speed is mid to upper 80s.

i think once hs pitchers get to the next level someone tweeks their mechanics to be able to spot the fb and it takes awhile to regain their velocity.

again i don't feel qualified to say much.

3. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

All of you guys are forgetting about the live arm.
    If the pitcher has movement and can locate then he's cool whether he throws 95 or 82.
    Sid Fernandez for the Dodgers ran it up to about 88 maybe 90, but he had great movement.

4. Braves

:D...AJ, I don't think you saw too many at your level throwing 82 ( except many the BP coach and even those guys tried to showoff their FB and sliders)

5. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Actually I did Braves, to name a few that really don't hit the 90's consistently
    Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Mike Maddux, Fernando Valenzuela, Sid Fernandez etc......

6. Braves

AJ--I said 82

7. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Ok 82 is pushing it but look I topped out at 85 coming out of high school.
    I topped out at 96 in the pros. Go figure.

8. Braves

That one is easy to figure out....

It was the Applejacks

9. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Good I thought you were going to say the 'roids that I took. lol

10. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

I've never noticed that my Hemorrhoids helped my pitching!!!!