1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Have I lost perspective?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Baseball & Hotdogs, Sep 28, 2009.

1. DirtyMoBaseball

DirtyMoBaseball Full Access Member

I feel that showcase is evolving. Many college recruiters and ml scouts have stated that they want to see how players respond uder pressure situations. This includes all aspects of the game icluding bunts and bunt defense. I am seeing more hit and run as well as quality ab's such as hittig behind runners and looking more for quality pitches to handle. These changes have happened in just the last few years. My older son played in 2008 and #2 is playing now. Much more emphasis on executing and winning.

2. newcoach42

newcoach42 Full Access Member

I agree that if a team is 0-3 then on that last sunday game there might not be to many if any scouts at the game and I also agree that some scouts want to see the pressure situations as well. But when a college coach asks for a roster prior to the game, they ask can they swing it or can the run or can they throw. Now I am a coach who believes that baseball should be played one way and that is hard all the time. But overtime I have talked to many showcase coaches about this issue and they all make the same statements, "It's showcase, put the kids out there and let them play" If a kid can base hit bunt thats totally different than sac bunting of course. But the showcase game has taken more of a individual aspect than does a high school or even some USSSA teams. It is not about playing for trophys or anything like that it is about getting the kids seen

3. RedSoxFan

RedSoxFan Full Access Member

Not sure if this fits here or not, but what the heck....

Once again I read Coach27 and Gman's replys and concur totally.

While reading them I thought about a conversation I had with Justin Jackson's (Blue Jays prospect) dad this spring while watching a game at TC.

Mr. Jackson said at this point in Justin's career the only two things he really tried to teach him and emphasize to him were:

#1) Outwork everybody else. Look around yourself, if someone is working harder than you are, then work harder and outwork them. Always be the hardest worker.

#2) Learn SOMETHING EVERYDAY! Even if it is one of those, dang it, I learned I better NOT do that again things, learn SOMETHING!!!

Most high school kids and older already have a good feel for fundamentals, they might not have them down pat, but they should know them.

If they WORK HARDER than everyone else on executing the fundamentals then they will LEARN how to outperform the others.

If they LEARN how to execute the fundamentals while WORKING HARDER than everyone else, then they will succeed more often.

Example, If you can't execute a bunt and foul one off the side of your face or nose, I bet you learn and say to yourself, "damn self, I don't want to do that again! I better work harder and learn how to do it right!"

But hey, at least you learned something............

4. pick42

pick42 Full Access Member

sometimes "showcase parents" want to see wins - even with bunts - at the correct time.

this is usually when a team is having a tuff stretch

anyway -

they think a winning team gets BUZZ - gets LOOKS.

all i know is generally - around showcase - people talk about "players"

5. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Showcase Baseball?

I really dont understand why people think there has to be a difference in the way the game is played. Showcase baseball is just a word used to describe players not the way the game is played. There is absolutely no reason you should play the game any differently just because it is called a showcase team. A showcase team is supposed to be comprised of players that are talented enough for college coaches to want to come see compete playing the game. I dont believe showcase baseball means you actually play showcase baseball , or a showcase brand of baseball.

Of course your going to rotate players , limit the innings pitchers throw , because you want to give every kid an opportunity to be seen by the coaches each game. I dont see how that means you actually play the game any differently? How many times does a HS player actually bunt during the HS season? How many bunt opportunities actually come up during a game? We are not talking about a kid being asked to bunt every time he gets up. What I am saying is just play the game. Compete no differently than you would in any HS game.

Coaches just want to see kids compete and play the game. What happens when these kids start playing "Showcase Baseball" at 14 15 years old" all summer and fall and then they have to revert back to "Regular Baseball" for the HS team? What kind of player mentality are you creating? How about just playing the game the way its supposed to be played each and everytime you step on the field? I see no reason or no benefit to teaching kids there are different ways to approach and play the game. You play to win , you play as hard as you can , thats baseball.

I dont have a problem with Showcase teams. In fact they serve a great purpose for the players and college coaches. I do have a problem with people who think for some reason because its a showcase team you play the actual game for yourself , or approach it any differently than you would anyother game you play. That kind of approach creates players who are all about ME and lose the team concept in the process.

6. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

"Back in the Day"

there was an AAU team my son played against, when he was young, that had a little saying before each game.... "PLAY HARD, GO HOME!"

I figure that sums it up in a nutshell.

7. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

"...I believe everytime you step on that field its an honor to do so. And you honor the game and your opponent by doing everything in your power to help your team find a way to win. If its about anything else I dont want to be a part of it."

Quote from Coach27.

Never ever disrespect the game. Ive tried to impart this to every player Ive encountered. Every team Ive been around.

The game is older than all of them. Nearly combined in most instances.

Respect the game. Why? Because the game of baseball has not changed much since the 1800's.

Yes some modifications I know. Especially from 1860's to 1900's but after that the game has been essentially the same. 4 bases. Baseball. Catcher/pitcher/batter. etc.

The same strategies, stats, etc. have been around for nearly a hundred years!

Though performance enhancement(read steroids), has blotted the purist eye as of lately, the game stayes the same. For instance: 1 out with player in scoring position(2nd base) is still the same as it was 50-100 years ago. Strategy? Score the runner. Hit behind the runner. Ball through infield. Its still the same.

Baseball is such a simple game. Outside influences are always there. But the game is the same.

So when you step on that field wherever it is and you try to "dis" the game itself you lose. You lose honor and integrity and much more. When you pass(die) the game itself doesn't. What you gave is the measuring stick. NOT what it gave to you.