1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Help

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by crankychic, Feb 19, 2009.

1. crankychic

crankychic Junior Member

I am the mother of an 8 yr. old son moving up to kid-pitch baseball. Any suggestions on a good bat?

2. xpectus6

xpectus6 Full Access Member

All bats are essentially the same because they are BESR Certified (Bat Exit Speed Ratio, I believe). If your son is 8, than I would suggest something around a 28in/17oz. I recall using a Rawlings McGwire bat, 28in/17oz when I was 8yrs old. Although kids' sizes vary and its also about how they like it. Louisville Slugger, Easton, and DeMarini are all good companies. Although if your son is only 8, then you may want to look at Rawlings or Worth or something cheaper.
    And I have heard stories of Rawlings Plasma bats getting snapped in half, so you may want to stay away from that.

3. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

smaller and lighter is better then bigger and heavier. You don't want a bat that swings him verses him swinging it! Something he can control easily, in other words.

Don't be in a rush. Let him try some of the other kids bats or if you can take him to a commercial hitting facility, like Grand Slam here in Raleigh, they usually have "loaners" he could try. Also they can help "fit" a bat for him.

4. throwheat22

throwheat22 Full Access Member

Great advice.

Also, while it's a special time to see your son moving up, be careful not to mortgage the house for this bat. When my kid was 8 I got him the cheapest, lightest bat I could find...seeing that the only contact he made that year was while bunting, it proved to be the right investment for us !

5. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

THE BEST>>>>

advice 8 y o or 22 yo what the GMAN ssaid!!! don't ever let him try and tell you different "i can handle etc..) cause he will be snowjobbing you...alll kids have this mentality of swinging and carrying the BIG lumber ...negative!!!

6. jd05

jd05 Full Access Member

go to a

store that refurbushes bats like "play it again sports".. They have alot of really good stuff that is less than half the price.. dont spend a ton on a bat at this age... get him a 27 or 28 in -12 drop. he will have fun and most likely will bat with the one all the kids on the team looks the coolest which has nothing to do with the bat...