1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

High School Awards Banquets

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by carochicks, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Yes

How L. doing in college ??

Guru

2. playball24

playball24 Full Access Member

I don't know about everyone else but our High School asked us not to play travel ball during the high school season and we reluctantly agreed to do that. I never have and never will agree with that but my opinion means nothing anyway. I do feel that if we have abided by her request that we not play TB that the very least she could do is schedule the awards ceremony as not to conflict with TB and she did that. I wish that High School coaches would realize that Travel ball is their "bread and butter", they are getting girls that already know how to play handed to them on a silver platter. If more high school coaches would work WITH travel ball coaches instead of against them it would only make their high school program stronger. The ideal situation would be if North Carolina would be like Georgia and play high school ball in the Fall. Girls could come right out of playing travel ball all summer and go into high school ball strong eliminating conflict by not taking away three good months of travel ball. I guess that would make too much sense though.

3. Enka Fan

Enka Fan Junior Member

This will be a short reply, but i totally have to agree with you on this one. I don't think that here at Enka they have an awards presentation for the softball program, and without travel ball, the program would suffer deeply. But they choose not to let the girls travel during the high school season. I do know that some of those girls are getting ready to travel soon and good luck to them

4. erms

erms Full Access Member

Some of the Enka crowd started this past weekend....and of course played well. Nice job Anna, Ashley, and KB!!

5. Shiner14

Shiner14 Junior Member

i would def choose 2 play. Ive made a commitment to my team and have a responsibility to be there. plus the award is always there but the chance to win @ the moment isnt.

6. bbfan

bbfan Full Access Member

committment

I would like to see your serious opinions on this committment issue.

(sorry its not softball, but...)

Last winter a high school basketball team showed up at a Christmas tournament missing 2 players who were out of state playing a differant sport.
    Now I assume the out of state sport was a showcase, but the school team did not have them for 3 games.

How do you folks feel about this? If you were the high school coach, what would you have done when they returned and what would you do next season. I guess its possible that this situation could arise again.

Maybe I'm old, but my girl would have to be in a hospital before missing a school game.

7. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

This was a Christmas tournament and would not hurt the team in the conference or the state playoff picture. Perhaps the coach had a set of rules that covered what would happen if you missed a game(s). I would think that not playing in 1 game for missing 1 game would be workable. Hopefully the penalty games would not involve a conference game. These girls would then have to set out the next 3 games, but would still have to practice and go to the games. Hopefully they informed the coach well in advance and something was worked out. Something similar happend to my daughter one time, but it was scrimmage games on a Saturday. The coach was informed well ahead of time and everything worked out OK, but it did cost her some playing time and this was totally expected.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  8. Double Dog Dare

Double Dog Dare Full Access Member

Two Holidays....

In my opinion, there should not be games/tournaments during Christmas break or Easter break. Those times should be spent with family and any "events" having to do with sports should be voluntary. If you have enough to play, then fine. If not, you should not hold it against the players who have made "other plans" during those holiday weeks.

Guess I'm a bible-belt product, but feel like those two weeks should be off-limits. All other weeks, including Arbor Day and Columbus Day, are fair game.

9. playball24

playball24 Full Access Member

:agreed:

10. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

My opinion is school should come first. If the Christmas break tournament is like the one GSK sponsors that is an important event in itself. But even if it wasn't I believe the kids should be with their school team.

If it was a case of missing school games because of TB I still have the same opinion--school team first. It is especially hard on a school team to have TB players miss because they are usually among the better players on the team.

I know how much TB experience helps a player. You can pretty much tell a good team from a lesser team just by knowing how many TB players are on it. But school should be the main priority. A lot of TB organization don't even schedule tournaments until after school is out.

And playing a non-softball travel sport such as volleyball or basketball should not be allowed to interfere with softball in season.