1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

High School Rule Changes for 2008

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by aguyyouknow, Jul 12, 2007.

1. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

I'd like to hear from the HS Coaches (and others) about any proposed HS rule changes for the '08 season.

I'd also like to propose and see some discussion about a few rules that bother me.

1. No More Courtesy Runners (If you want "courtesy" take up Golf)

2. No More Re-entry of players (Unnecessary and limits the creativity of coaches)

3. No More 10 Run Rule (If you need the Mercy Rule you've got bigger issues)

4. I'd also like to see some standardization of scorekeeping. Maybe a impartial "conference representative" from another school keeps the official book?

5. I'd also like to see a rework of the schedules. I understand that there are as many as 10 unused dates that could have been scheduled as non-conference games but the coaches don't want "losses" to affect their state playoff chances. Play some of the private schools too while you're at it or just play your conference opponents in several "non-conference" games. There aren't enough games for the time/effort put in by these coaches and players. I know teams in some other states play a lot more games than we do in NC.

6. Realign the "Baseball" conferences to more closely match the level of play. Just because a school has a 4A population doesn't mean it plays "real" Baseball. And I know there are some unbelievable 2A and 3A teams that ought to be fighting it out with the 4A teams. There are too many meaningless games against bad teams.

7. DH for the Pitcher Only! Actually I hate the DH anyway but allowing the DH to hit for your 2B or LF is just wrong!

8. This one is a "CMS Only" one.......... allow our great coaches more latitude in coaching summer programs. I'm not sure what the restictions are but I've heard they are unfair and I understand that these restrictions don't exist in other counties.

2. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

radical , man

radical suggestions. you're wanting to just throw the door wide open!!

3. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Pick an Easy One First

East,
    Just pick an easier one first. Like DH for a weak hitting 2B?

4. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

subs

no re-entry will mean subs will never play.

5. EastOfRaleigh

OK here goes

many times in HS, the pitcher is one of your better athletes, including as a hitter. so I have no problem w/ DH'ing for the weakest hitter no matter what position they play. keep as is.

and agree , the re-entry allows for more PT by more kids. good for HS ball. wouldn't be a bad idea in college ball.

6. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

ugh!

i get the part about getting more kids in the game via the re-entry rule

but i can't buy in to the DH hitting for a position player.

If you want the Pitcher to hit then go without the DH that game.

As for re-entry in college..................... no way!

7. EastOfRaleigh

DH

DH for any player gets more kids in the game also, like re-entry does. If you don't want to DH for the 2B, let that kid work harder at hitting drills, BP, etc whatever it takes to get him in the batting order.

8. 9nine9

9nine9 Full Access Member

Courtesy Runners

No more courtesy runners!!!! I love it. I've been complaining about that for years. We had courtesy runners back in the day when I played, but we never ran for our catcher (me), because of my superior wheels. Catchers are baserunners too - right aguyyouknow? Hell, in my opinion, they are the best athletes on the field, then later in life they make the best coaches, throw the best BP and hit the best infield!!!!!!:biggrina:

9. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

To me

the game is fine like it is other than this one change. SEED the playoffs instead of having predetermined match ups based on conferences etc. A #3 seed from one conference may be a better team

Re entry rules and courtesy runners allow more kids to be a part of the game. Its hard for me to be against rules that allow more roles and more opportunities for kids to be a part of the game. The 10 run rule I dont like. I dont like losing innings that other kids could play. If certain clowns would not intentionally run up scores and refuse to sub then maybe we could do away with this rule. Dont schedule teams that can not compete. Call off the dogs when a team can not compete. And give some other guys a chance to play in those games.

10. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Awesome

You Coaches are awesome!

I just know from seeing it that giving a kid the opportunity to be the courtesy runner or be inserted in the middle innings of a blow out will not satisfy very many players or their parents in our neck of the woods so why bother.

Come to think of it............there aren't any "woods" in our neck of the woods anymore?

Three 9's is my new best friend too! Did you see my post the other day about the 14 MLB Managers that were former Catchers? 14 out of the current 30 Managers! Must be a reason?