1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

High School vs NCAA Div.III

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Intimidator Coach, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

Is there very much difference between High School Baseball and NCAA Division III Baseball?
    Of course i know the difference and yes there is alot of difference between the two.
    My concern is at the high school level a kid doesnt start but has 2 colleges calling each week and has visited several of these schools. Thats why i asked is there a difference or would you think this kid is being ignored for other reasons.
    While visiting one of these schools there was a game being played by the d-3 JV squad . There wasnt a HS team i know of would have beat this team.

2. whoeverwins

whoeverwins Junior Member

I am unsure of your situation, but a lot of times Div. III schools recruit sight unseen. They may go by word of mouth (good and bad), they have data base of kids with only height, weight, position, speed, and high school. They will recruit for potential, not necessarily immediate abiltity. They look at having a kid for 5 years (redshirt) and what they can do with him in those 5 years. I hope this helps....and yes, there is a big difference between Div. III and High School baseball. I hope this helps.

3. playme

playme Full Access Member

Coach i'm not sure of what you are asking but hsbaseballweb.com has a lot of info concerning college programs and the recuitment process..

the academic requirements (sat and act) do not apply to Div.III or JUCO. also i don't think they offer scholarships. i could be wrong about the scholarships.

as far as recruiting sight unseen; i know several showcase teams made up of hs juniors from up north travel to these colleges in Va., N.C., and Costal Carolina in S.C. and play on week-ends in the fall. college coaches from D-I to JUCO visit these showcases. Very seldom is there a pro scout there, but i have seen as many as 20 college coaches. All a hs baseball player needs is for 1 college coach to like what he has to offer. Those coaches are give a roster for each team with the players hs listed on it and they then contact the hs coach for stats. Div-III coaches also make the State Games and probably Impact Baseball.

i have seen some D-III teams that could give D-II and possibly D-I teams a heck of a game.

There was a D-III coach what traveled to see and recruit a couple ACHS players last year.

4. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

No Big deal... i know Methodist down in Fayetteville has an excellent program and have no problems with my son going there.. The coach phones at least 1 time a week and we have visited etc.. Saw my son at an Impact camp.

I just hate it when a HS coach is so arragant and afraid to admit a mistake and maybe has bitterness towards a players parent that he lets the decisions affect the team and a players future.

oh yeah.. i'm a little bitter about it ..

5. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

DIII don't have athletic scholarships, but they can pull "financial aid" out the ying yang! Methodist and Guilford are both great DIII schools.

6. baseball11

baseball11 Full Access Member

JM Robinson lefthander Andy Benson just made a verbal commitment to play at Methodist next year. Although head coach Tom Austin is known as a hitting guru, new assistant coach/pitching coach Kevin Allingham has helped their pitching staff of mostly freshman and sophmore righthanders to a conference best ERA. Methodist should deffinitly be considered by college prospects. It also is placed nicely between the beach and the raleigh area.

7. playme

playme Full Access Member

Coach i know where you are coming from, i had to go through that...is he a senior?

Guilford has an excellant program..i have talked to Coach Black and Coach Zandler and i like what they have to say about Coach Baker and the program..yes D-IIIs can come up with some nice financial packages...chances for making the varsity as a freshman are geater at D-III than at a D-I or D-II college..the difference between college and pro is that a college is trying to fill a slot while pro is looking at the future....Tony Womack is a graduate from Guilford and my understanding makes a return visit when time permits...

remember the reason for college is education...get the education and no one can take it away from you...most student-athletes turn pro in some other profession besides baseball...

good luck coach and best to your son....

8. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

good couple of posts here!

No comparison here! DIII is ANOTHER level period! Your better HS ball players can play at this level YET excel is another story! In some instances your avg hs player can make the team yet most times canot handle THIS next level! Coach Zandler is a really close FRIEND of mine! Need some opinions as to Guilford him etc including three of my former HS players there just give me an PM! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: